Can't afford to continue CD.. what now? PLEASE HELP ME

sarah5

AARGH I am so upset but I just can't carry on forking out all this money. I have done so well in the last 6 weeks, have lost over 2 stone but still have another stone to go. I have been following the 790 plan and still have almost one weeks' packs left (2 per day). Ok I CAN'T let my good work go to pot - so what do I do now? Shall I move up to the 1000 plan for a week then move on to the GI diet do you think? But take it very very carefully and introduce carbs VERY slowly?

PLEASE HELP :(

I would say that you could still follow the principles of the CD diet by eating foods that are low-carb and low-fat. My bro' did this and lost nearly 4 stone reasonably quickly.

Another possibility is the GL diet that seems to be big at the moment. There are many books on it, and from what I have read it is quite simple.

Steve thanks that's really helpful, and very motivating and reassuring to hear about your bro. Thanks v much.

Hi, I was thinking. How much will you be spending on food per week. Sit down and work out day for day what the difference will. If its is possible could you make some sacrifices in other areas of your life your say another month. You have done so well and another month could be fab for you. I wish you luck no matter what you do.

I agree with Julia on this one.

You ought to be having three cambridge packs per day PLUS the meal anyway.

Just realised I didn't make my first message very clear, I meant to say that I have enough packs left to do the 1000 plan which is 2 packs a day :)

I have a family of 4 and my weekly food bill is about £40, which I know is good. To put it bluntly, once the food, CD packs and other bills are paid there is absolutely no money left over.. nothing for family outings, to pay for preschool, to pay for school photos, to go swimming with my kids, not even to go to toddler group with my 2 year old!

So I figured that if I take CD out of the equation, there is £30 to be able to do all these things, if you see what I mean?

I don't mean to go into my personal finances, and I know there are loads of things we can do for free (believe me, I have to do them!), we are just struggling immensely right now and I feel extremely guilty for spending so much money on my "special diet" :(

What about a couple of hours on a part-time job for a few weeks until Christmas until you have lost the rest of the weight?

Wow what a great idea soon to be gorgeous! Part-time job could easily pay for your CD, if you have a partner or family and friends then maybe they could help out by looking after your children for a few hours.

I sympathise with you TOTALLY on the finance thing. I'm looking for a part time job at the moment (I'm a full time mature student at Uni) as we are dire financial straits.
You've had some good suggestions so far ... low GI is a great plan (and one I would definitely recommend). It keeps your energy levels up and keeps you satisfied for longer which holds the nibble-monster at bay!

Do you have a Rosemary Conley class anywhere near you? I lost 6st with RC a few years ago. The eating plan is simple, healthy (generally low fat / low GI) AND you get an exercise class thrown in for around a fiver a week! Unfortunately, there isn't one near me or I'd join.

Funnily enough I do have an interview at Waitrose tonight, just to do shelf-stacking or something in the evenings or possibly weekends. I am a stay at home mummy and adore what I do, I couldn't bear the thought of someone else raising my children and also of course the majority of my earnings would go on childcare! So an evening job seems to only logical solution, although I will be thoroughly exhausted!! In saying that, the whole purpose of the job is to pay for CHRISTMAS not CD!!

Aaargh!!

I think I am going to go the GI route, it seems to be a very healthy and sensible regime and a very logical one too. I did think about doing Rosemary Conley russiandoll, but I didn't want to confuse myself any more as I have done WW and have now done lots of GI research, so I think another diet would confuse matters even more. But thank you for the great suggestions!

Thank you so much for all your helpful advice everyone, I feel I have a much clearer head now!

Hi Sarah5.

SW is just as cheap if you are on a budget and the nice thing is, that you can bulk buy things like pasta, rice and potatoes on a Green Day and chicken or fish on a red day....your family will benefit from a healthy range too and the books are great for recipe ideas - I have some spare if you would like them?

Take care

Kerry-Ann

Hey it is fab that you are a stay at home mum and don't put yourself down by saying "only" stacking shelves. Think of each shift you do as a paid for work out, all that bending and stretching can only help you tone up.

Hi Sarah5.

SW is just as cheap if you are on a budget and the nice thing is, that you can bulk buy things like pasta, rice and potatoes on a Green Day and chicken or fish on a red day....your family will benefit from a healthy range too and the books are great for recipe ideas - I have some spare if you would like them?

Take care

Kerry-Ann

Aww thanks SO much for the offer Kerry-Ann, normally I would be delighted to accept your offer but I can get quite muddled with all these diets and have found I have to get my head around just one diet and stick to it. That is so kind of you to offer though hun. Good luck on your journey too xxx

Hey it is fab that you are a stay at home mum and don't put yourself down by saying "only" stacking shelves. Think of each shift you do as a paid for work out, all that bending and stretching can only help you tone up.

Hey I know, I shouldn't have said it like that, I meant to go back and edit that as it was a demeaning thing to say for others doing the same job :eek: sorry!

Hi sarah
The reason I suggested RC is that it's based on Low GI (which is what you're researching). Other than that, the only 'rule' is that food should contain less than 5% fat (easily checked on the food labels). I always liked it because there were no complicated working points out etc. I've tried EVERY diet going and RC was by far the easiest. Also, the exercise session (which was great fun) had me toning up as I was shrinking down. Something to consider maybe.

I'm with you on the being at home with your kids thing. I always did part time evening work when mine were young as I wanted to be there for them during the day. There's no rewind button on their lives after all :)

Good luck with the interview at Waitrose

Good luck with your interview Sarah.

RC's GI Jeans diet is lower carb. The original Metabolism Booster Diet was low-fat and left me ravenously hungry.

Hope all goes well for you.

Oh my god, i cant even begin to imagine how you're feeling but mothers are amazing. Look at the way you're sacrificing something for yourself for your babies.
well, it is sad that you cant continue CD but good luck and once things get better join again! It's not like there's a time limit.

Stick to low carb, and dont skip brekkie xx

Oh I wasn't being horrible about the job honest.....it sounds like you have such a busy life and I wish you so much luck with your diet. As Russian Doll said spend time with your kids it is important. I was a career woman ( and still am), moved here 9 years ago withmy son but my son went back to the UK in 2003 to do his degree, he is moving to Oz after Xmas with his dad and 12 and half year old step mum (that is a joke about the age). He is coming home for Xmas but after that won't see him til 2009. I am saving up to visit him and can't go before then due to other commitments (work, studying etc).
So part of this losing work is to look good for when I go to OZ, I wont be baywatch woman but will at least be presentable. Take care Sarah.

Oh don't worrry I didn't think you were being horrible for one minute!! It was me I was tut-tutting !!:)

If you are considering low-GI I suggest looking into the low-GL route. GI is all well and good, but when you consider that under that plan chocolate and carrots score the same .... clearly that CANNOT be right. The reason is that the GI does not take into account the AMOUNT of carbo in a normal portion, only the effect that 50g of carb from the source has on the blood sugar levels.

What the GL does is take the GI one step further and include the amount of carbs in a normal portion in the measurements. In doing so, chocolate becomes bad because it has a lot of carbs, and carrots become good because they have few carbs.

GL is GI plus logic in effect. The principles are the same, but it makes more sense in the way the levels are worked out. If you are happy with the GI and understand it, then you will be fine with the GL too.

Back