Can't find the right diet!

loulalou

Hi everyone

I am currently on atkins, and suffering from major diet indecision. I started on Dukan which was awful. I moved over to Atkins which is a bit better.

My problem is I can't get that enthusiastic about the food. I'm a carb lover and can only eat so much meat and fish and eggs before I start to dread eating it. Last night for example I skipped dinner as I couldn't face eating more meat.

I don't want to do a diet like WW or SW as I've done them in the past, and with a lot of weight to lose a 1lb a week loss isn't enough to keep me motivated.

I'm wondering whether Exante could be for me. I am used to feeling a bit deprived after almost 4 weeks of dieting, I know I've got the will power to stick to something, and I like the idea of not having to think about food.

I guess I'm wondering how hungry you feel on the plan. At times I have felt a bit light headed on Dukan and Atkins, do you feel starving on exante? Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Hi,
I am a BIG carb freak, and no matter what diet I tried I couldn't help myself around food. I have been doing Exante and lost 8lb in the first week! I have found that Exante suits me because I don't have to worry about food, as I can't stop at one taste of something. First few days were strange, not difficult but my body was adpapting. I have found that I have more energy and I can stand in a room full of food and not be phased by it. My tummy actually rumbles to tell me when to ha e my next pack otherwise I'd probably miss it! Definitely worth a go, it is helping me to develop and appreciate a healthier approach to food in the long run.

I couldn't cope with Dukan in the end. In fact I started to feel quite ill. I did 5 days of attack and did lose 5 lbs but like you I love my carbs. I have settled on GI as it encompases the foods I like.

I do not, however have bread at all and have only had pasta once in weeks.

I hate all the counting calories or points as had a lifetime of it to keep weight down. I just eat the GI way. Only thing is I haven't lost any more weight!!!! Have lost size though due to more exercise and as muscle weighs heavier than fat.....:confused:

It's actually a myth that muscle weighs less than fat, as 1lb of muscle is the same as a 1lb of fat, BUT muscle is leaner and takes up less body mass therefore that's where u see the loss in inches. : )

The Harcombe diet is good if you want to continue eating, you can eat meat,fish,eggs,salad,veg, also dairy and limited fruit after the 5 day stage 1. You can also eat carbs like rice and potatoes if you dont eat protein, I love it.

Shelliewoo83 said:
It's actually a myth that muscle weighs less than fat, as 1lb of muscle is the same as a 1lb of fat, BUT muscle is leaner and takes up less body mass therefore that's where u see the loss in inches. : )

1lb of anything will weigh the same as 1lb of fat ;)

But muscle does weigh more than fat and is the reason why a few members on here suggest taking measurements as well as stepping on the scales. This is important because you can lose inches yet stay the same weight wise, especially if you are exercising regularly.

When I lost weight before I stayed at 16.5 stone for 6 months. I was going to the gym 3 times a week and although my weight stayed the same my body shape changed drastically.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
Exante is the only diet which has worked for me, but it can be hard... Ive had to put my social life on hold because I kept coming off the diet so I could drink, sadly Im not one of those people who can go out and not drink... nor can I just have 1... lol but it gets results and it gets them fast.

You will feel hungry for the first week but then your body goes into Ketosis and all hunger stops... well physical hunger goes but your head might still tell you your hungry until you get in the zone, when Im in the "zone" nothing can get me to cheat.

You do start to miss food... normally the most simple of foods you start to miss but thats all in your head and can be controlled.

No one can really say if it would be the diet for you, all you can do is give it a go for a month and see how you get on, some people do feel light headed and yucky for a little while on Exante while others feel fine the whole way through, all depends on the person.

On Exante, you could expect to be at goal easily within 14 - 15 weeks if you were 100% on the diet.

Hi everyone

I am currently on atkins, and suffering from major diet indecision. I started on Dukan which was awful. I moved over to Atkins which is a bit better.

My problem is I can't get that enthusiastic about the food. I'm a carb lover and can only eat so much meat and fish and eggs before I start to dread eating it. Last night for example I skipped dinner as I couldn't face eating more meat.

You can have so much more on Atkins (even induction) than just meat/fish/eggs! For motivation and ideas: Sugar Free Sheila.com: The ULTIMATE Resource For Atkins Information

That said, my experience doing VLCD has been that, yes, I sometimes feel physical hunger, but the results are worth it. In the beginning I split up my shakes so I was having 6 'meals' per day to make the transition easier. I felt no physical hunger during that period. Since then I've switched to having fewer shakes per day. Sometimes I feel some physical hunger, but then I expect to feel some hunger occasionally when I'm maintaining anyway - just like I did when I was thin previously. It's not unbearable. I'm sure some people experience no hunger.

Hi Louise,
I am now on week 5 and have lost 18lb up to now. This is definately the best VLCD I have tried. I like all the flavours and both bars and haven't felt hungry at all after the first week. In fact I forget to have my shake sometimes and end up having to have them close together in the evening. If you want an evening meal you could do the WS instead of TS. Once into it I think it's easy, it takes away choice which helps me as I could never stop at one of anything...Hope you give it a go, its worth it..:D

The hunger levels seems to change day to day. Some days I feel full and satisfied, others, like today, I'm watching the clock see when I'll be allowed to have another pack. Trying to be positive and think that at least my body will be eating away at the fat while I'm hungry.

xxx

Thank you so much everyone thats all really helpful info. I know I can cope with a vlcd as some of my daily calories are coming out at around 800-900 per day at the moment.

I guess I could give exante a try and if I am going out for dinner or something have WS day so I can have a salad or something? I like the idea of being at goal quicker! Thank so much! xx

im 100% TS Monday to Thursday and WS Fri, Sat and Sun. This is to keep me sane and my hubby happy too.

Sounds like a great idea Crims

Crims sorry if this is an obvious question but how many shakes/bars per day do you have, and how many calories are your meals?

Exant says have 3 meals a day regardless of whether you have a meal. If I have a meal, I only have two shakes. Im sure people will shoot me down for that but it works for me. I guess my meals are around 400-600 cals but all keep me in ketosis x

haha I do the same Crims!

reading this thread just proves to me that we all have different ways to work our diets into our lives and get great results.

Its trial and error isnt it..well done all of you xx

It sure is Valentine...

The only thing I would say is that for me, once I started adding the odd meal (although it was still low carb, low cal, low fat meals) it became a slippery slope, the meals got a bit worse for me... I would add the odd snack, then your spending £100 a month which is wasted because you stop losing weight! So I think TS works better for people like me as Im a all or nothing kind of person haha but then WS works better for many people, so you just need to give it a go and see which works best for you.

Back