can't lose weight,,help!

yasmin1

i have done loads of different diets and slimming world loads of times but dont seem to lose anything,ive re-joined s/w and have stuck to it 100% even weighing my healthy extra's,,first weigh in i lost 1/2lb,,,my consultant said my food diary was very impressive and she couldnt think why thats all i lost so to cut out all carbs this week,,my second weigh in is wednesday and i have weighed myself and im already up 2lb,,,i am eating loads of fruit and have pcos ,,someone said this could turn the fruit sugars into fat,,can anyone help me ,,have they had the same problem?? thanks :jelous:

Not sure what to suggest but didn't want to read and run. What fruit are you eating? Have you tried some of the more watery fruits ie melon, strawberries, kiwi?? I find these help alot, not saying they are all watery but melon is and they say this type of fruit helps.

Drinking water? I know it doesn't aid weight loss as such but I do find it helps me to fill up and not want to snack

Take no notice of your scales. They do not count for numerous reasons which you can find on hundreds of other threads. The only weigh in that counts is the one you pay for.

Food wise i can't give any advice without seing what you eat. All i would say is are you eating till you are full, or are you clearing your plate? Often portion control is the most difficult bit to get to grips with on SW.

I can weigh +6 lbs at night and be -2 lbs in the morning.

I have sneaky peaks all the time, they motivate me if I've lost weight to do even better and is a kick up in the arse if I haven't. But the real number I need to look at is the one I see on WI day.

thanks for the replies,,,i eat strawberries,blueberries melon and cherries everyday,,,loads of shellfish each day mainly prawns and mussels,,omelette with mushrooms and bacon and 28g cheese from a box for breakfast then for dinner steak twice only in 2 weeks the rest of the time liver bacon and tomato or fish...this week ive had ryvitas as my b box,,,i drink loads of water too!!! going to wait til weigh in wed evening and see and i have paid for the 6 week countdown so fingers crossed,,,i am going to do it 100% for the whole 6 weeks but i feel so disheartened

yasmin1 said:
thanks for the replies,,,i eat strawberries,blueberries melon and cherries everyday,,,loads of shellfish each day mainly prawns and mussels,,omelette with mushrooms and bacon and 28g cheese from a box for breakfast then for dinner steak twice only in 2 weeks the rest of the time liver bacon and tomato or fish...this week ive had ryvitas as my b box,,,i drink loads of water too!!! going to wait til weigh in wed evening and see and i have paid for the 6 week countdown so fingers crossed,,,i am going to do it 100% for the whole 6 weeks but i feel so disheartened

Im sorry you feel that way, but please stick at it. It will work, I promise x

Don't weigh yourself on 2 different scales - the scales at the meeting might show a slightly different figure. Measure yourself, too. Do you do any exercise? I also find that I want to feel stuffed rather than comfortably full...especially in the first 2 weeks of the plan. But it calms down after a while and I don't feel the need to eat any more than necessary.
Also, do you trim off all the fat from your meat?

Do you do EE or red days only? With EE it's sometimes tricky to get a third of a plate full of superfree food. I always end up overfilling my plate (so superfree is a third but often the same size as a whole meal in itself and the other bits are just as big..haha..and then I feel the urge to empty my plate) - that's why I don't follow EE and I am not a big meat eater anyway - also, I love my Healthy Extras too much :)

Don't give up - some peoples bodies react differently in the beginning. Your body might just have to adjust - I added an awful lot of salt to my food when I first started to add taste. If you drink quite a lot on top of that your body might retain too much water...or is it the time of the month?

And last but not least - how much do you weigh? If you are not obese or even quite close to be in the normal weight range it might take longer to lose weight. Or if your eating habits were quite bad before you started SW your body could gain weight in the first few weeks as it is not used to all the healthy foods and the nutrition it gets (my nutritionist once told me this little secret)..but it should balance itself out in a few weeks.

And if everything fails - speak to your consultant and he might give you more advice what you can change to kickstart your weight loss. You might have to get your thyroid checked, too if you really don't loose any weight to see if everything is ok.

And always remember: Stop eating when you are full! You can follow SW 100% and still overeat by having the urge to clear your plate!!

All the best!

By coincidence I have just replied to another thread regarding slow weight losses with PCOS, take a look. The lady in question is a vegetarian and therefore cannot to red days, but the advice is still the same........no white pasta and small amounts of potato, wholemeal pasta, rice and cous cous which is why red days work for me. I have restarted SW very recently after gaining back over a stone, but I had lost just over five stones, but it took me a couple of years. Unfortunately slow weight loss is one of the horrible side effects of PCOS, but sw will work if you stick to it. I also do not eat many bananas or grapes as their natural sugars are quite high (I also have diabetes, another side effect of PCOS!)

Try a week of red days, it doesn't necessarily mean an endless stream of meat or even doesn't have to be expensive, I bought a small piece of steak tonight in Morrisons for £1.50 which I will have with fried mushrooms, onions and hex b of potato wedges. Small bag of frozen prawns in Asda is about a pound, great with a salad. In theory you can even do a meat free day on a red day by using quorn products, which will then limit your carbs.

Hope this helps x

well i weighed in another 1/2lb lighter wednesday..still eating no carbs... do red days all the time ..eating loads fish.fruit and for my HEB i use ryvitas now,,,im not hungry at all and am filling up on superfree foods,,my consultant is pleased with my food diary and says she cannot understand,,,because of pcos i do have monthly troubles and i am thinking this is the problem as its been 5 weeks already,,,,i am new to this too and have had to scour the forum for my original thread,,is there a way i can go directly to it?? i think its great that theirs help on here and just reading helps me to think more positively,,thank you all for your help

I also had the same problem when I first tried on getting a diet plan. On my first week of not eating any carbs and taking any colored drinks, i only lost 2 pounds! Which is so contrary to what I have read in the magazines and articles. I got frustrated and disappointed and stopped dieting. I think that was March. I went back to my old eating style. Which worsen my case. :-(

You just have to focus and continue doing your tasks. Don't mind the scales, all the time. Sometimes, the loss of fats turn into muscles which are actually heavier. Try measuring your waistline. This will help you check your progress too.

My friend has PCOS and cannot do SW cos she gains weight, she can only follow a low GI diet, apparently that is the best for that condition. Maybe make a list of low GI foods that are SW friendly if you need to follow a plan?

well i weighed in another 1/2lb lighter wednesday..still eating no carbs... do red days all the time ..eating loads fish.fruit and for my HEB i use ryvitas now,,,im not hungry at all and am filling up on superfree foods,,my consultant is pleased with my food diary and says she cannot understand,,,because of pcos i do have monthly troubles and i am thinking this is the problem as its been 5 weeks already,,,,i am new to this too and have had to scour the forum for my original thread,,is there a way i can go directly to it?? i think its great that theirs help on here and just reading helps me to think more positively,,thank you all for your help

Yasmin to find your thread easily, go to the top of this page, "thread tools" click on that, scroll down and then click on "subscribe to this thread". To find your thread again, click on "User CP" on the big blue bar and it will be listed there. You can use this tool for all threads you want to keep track of x x

Are you doing any exercise?

I was loosing 1/2 a pound 3 out of 4 weeks and following the plan 100% and started with a lot more to loose than you. As I don't work I wasn't burning off anything at all. So I started doing exercise, walking everyday, dance game e.t.c Then my losses jumped 2 to 4lbs every week I was exercising. And since with continued exercising are still normally about 2lb a week.

I also agree with others that you need to make sure you only eating until you are full not until you stuffed.

Try not to be too disheartened, I was in a similar position and really seriously thought about giving up but now have lost almost 3 st in 5 to 6 months. You just need to workout what works for you it may take a few weeks of tweaking but u will get there :)

Last edited:
yasmin i too have been putting on pounds since i joined sw a month ago....being a vegetarian i can only do green.... and i have been following the plan to a 't'!!
my food diary is checked by the consultant and she too is surprised.... she has now asked me to vary my h' extras!

it is rather dissapointing... but as i have prepaid for 6 weeks... intend to persevere!!

yasmin i too have been putting on pounds since i joined sw a month ago....being a vegetarian i can only do green.... and i have been following the plan to a 't'!!
my food diary is checked by the consultant and she too is surprised.... she has now asked me to vary my h' extras!

it is rather dissapointing... but as i have prepaid for 6 weeks... intend to persevere!!

I was having the same problem (and still do from time to time) when I was sticking to the Plan to the letter and gaining weight.:cry::cry:

My Consultant looked at my food diary and could not understand either; so she got the Area Consultant to look at who identified that it was my portion size at fault. I reduced my meals down and started to lose weight again; but occasionally i do gain weight on the odd week??:confused::cry:

Altering your healthy extra's definitely helps. I ate a Kelloggs Fibre Plus every day for a week as one of my healthy extra's and gained weight - eat 12 different healthy extra's and weight started moving again!:confused:

By coincidence I have just replied to another thread regarding slow weight losses with PCOS, take a look. The lady in question is a vegetarian and therefore cannot to red days, but the advice is still the same........no white pasta and small amounts of potato, wholemeal pasta, rice and cous cous which is why red days work for me. I have restarted SW very recently after gaining back over a stone, but I had lost just over five stones, but it took me a couple of years. Unfortunately slow weight loss is one of the horrible side effects of PCOS, but sw will work if you stick to it. I also do not eat many bananas or grapes as their natural sugars are quite high (I also have diabetes, another side effect of PCOS!)

Try a week of red days, it doesn't necessarily mean an endless stream of meat or even doesn't have to be expensive, I bought a small piece of steak tonight in Morrisons for £1.50 which I will have with fried mushrooms, onions and hex b of potato wedges. Small bag of frozen prawns in Asda is about a pound, great with a salad. In theory you can even do a meat free day on a red day by using quorn products, which will then limit your carbs.

Hope this helps x

I suffer from PCOS and whilst I used to get away with mountains of potato when doing the diet in my 20's - I'm now 36 and if I eat more than one potato in a week I gain weight. Rice seems to be okay; altho sometimes I chose to go without the rice and eat more of the meal that has all the speed food in it. I didn't realise my body's intolerance to potato was caused by PCOS but makes a lot of sense - thanks!:D

Back