Can't make my mind up

deepu

Hi guys, I hav been doing vlcd for the last month, doing on andoff .thinking of starting atkins 2marrow.i have few questions .will I loose weight in first week.can I hav tea in atkins,what sause can I use,and how much can be lost in 10weeks

Hiya Deepu,

Well, firstly - you absolutely shouldn't be doing a VLCD "on and off". It is very bad for your body to dabble that way - you either need to stick on it and let your body adjust, or not do it at all. I did a VLCD for 6 months straight with no problems (energy at gym, regular check ups with GP), and then dabbled for a further few months and it caused all sorts of issues with my metabolism, blood pressure etc. Pick something and stick to it for a couple of months at least.

Anyway! Lecture over ;)

Secondly, yes you will lose weight in the first week, but probably not as much as some people do because you will (or should!) already be in ketosis from doing the VLCD. You can still probably expect a couple of pounds off though, assuming you stick to it to the letter.

You can have tea, but no milk. I sometimes make do with a little splash of cream instead, but tea isn't really ideal on Atkins. Creamy coffee though instead - mmmmm!

Sauces are quite often full of sugar. Full fat mayonnaise is ok though, and you can make lots of other sauces using a double cream base (add cheese for cheese sauce, mushrooms and black pepper for nice sauce for steak/chops etc)... full fat caesar is usually ok too - but really, it's all about checking the label. Some people just eat within their carb allowance (20g per day), but personally I don't just rely on values - I also avoid anything that has sugar as an ingredient, or citric acid etc (known stallers), even if they have only 2g carbs etc.

How much you lose could vary between half a stone and two... it really depends on you. I have been very strict on the whole and have only lost about 10lbs in 8 weeks... but others can lose that in the first week!

I did Atkins in my younger years and lost over 3 stone in about 4-5 months. It isn't as fast as a VLCD generally speaking (with which I lose 5 stone in 5 months), but is different for everyone.

Good luck whatever you decide - just stop dabbling with VLCDs! ;)

SD xx

Back