carb allowance?

20g in induction and for as long as you need after that to stay in the optimum weight loss phase. Then gradually increase it by 5g per week by adding nuts, berries etc on each different rung/week - all rungs and additions laid out in the book. Once you stall, decrease carbs by 5g and that's your maximum allowance until you move into maintenance.

Loss at 50g per day would likely be slower - its at the high end of the carb threshold for most people. On S&S you lost because of calorie, not so much carb restriction.

Thank you so much for that moonlight I've had around 10g a day so that's good to know bee. Is it correct that I can eat loads of vat as in loads of pork scratchings?

Loads of fat yes - but you do need to keep an eye on calories. Not restricting them - and to be honest it's very rare I've seen people end up with too high calorie intakes on Atkins (as in say 2500+) but snacks can sometimes do it.

You're aiming to get 65 percent of your daily calorie intake from fat, 30 percent of it from protein and 5 percent from carbs - roughly.

Re: scratchings. Some people eat a lot. I wouldn't recommend having them non stop as they're high salt and will make you retain water but if you want a bag a day then give it a go. I've seen a couple of people suggest they stall them - but a couple of people stall on almost anything.

Last edited:
This is a pie chart showing my planned intake for the day. I get it from a website/phone app called my fitness pal where you enter everything you eat and it works out how many cals, carbs, fat you're having.

This is likely to change as I may eat more than I have planned for (probably will) but I have planned 1271 calories and that means I'm eating 82g fat, 108g protein (a higher amount in weight but less calorie dense than fat) and 16g carbs. Most days my ratio will be off - either higher protein or higher fat - but these are my percentages of calories from fat today if I stick to plan.

image-1684221900.jpg

Thanks Moonlights so great to get solid help off someone who knows the know how! im struggling mentally i think, all my adult life ive followed diets were you eat low fat versions of things and reduced calories, so im mentally struggling to get my head around how eating loads of fat wont make me fat.lol, i know it works i did atkins years a go and did well but i cant remember what i ate on it, it was a long time ago! i will download that my fitness pal app that sounds like a good start, im waiting for my atkins book to come too! i need as much info as i can get i really want this to work for me im so sick of being miserable on very low cal diets!

I know, the fat thing is hard to get your head around - I've done vlcd and calorie counting in the past too. I lost on them, they work, but I find them much harder to maintain and I never felt like the vlcd was good for me (though I did it for a few months). On Atkins all the veg you can eat feels healthy and I feel much more alert when I cut out sugar and much more happy tummy wise when I cut out wheat. I feel healthier on Atkins.

With the fat thing - I think of it like you drink more water to avoid retaining water. Because your body always has a good supply of water as you're drinking lots, it doesn't have to hang on to the water supplies within your body. I'd imagine the same is true when your body is using fat for fuel - you need to provide it with enough fat so it doesn't hang on to stores of it.

Back