Step 1 Sole Source + Carb Junkie Going Cold Turkey

Struggling as we do every weekend and gave in and I had a pot noodle and Nic has some chocolate! Bit worried we will vere off track seriously after doing so well so need to do something to regain focus...

We really can't handle weekends anymore. Weekdays go so well then from after my appointment on a Friday evening until Sunday evening this are just IMPOSSIBLE! It's like we need to do the 5 2 diet or something....

My plan for maintenance is to do 5:2 - 2 days on SS and 5 days eating normal food but low carb. Mainly because I can't afford to go through all the CD steps. But maybe you could do the inverse of that? 5 days SS and then 2 (weekend) days making really nice food but really low carb? So stay away from bread, potatoes, pasta, rice as much as possible but enjoy roasted vegetables and curries and things?

My plan for maintenance is to do 5:2 - 2 days on SS and 5 days eating normal food but low carb. Mainly because I can't afford to go through all the CD steps. But maybe you could do the inverse of that? 5 days SS and then 2 (weekend) days making really nice food but really low carb? So stay away from bread, potatoes, pasta, rice as much as possible but enjoy roasted vegetables and curries and things?

Yeah, I might chat to my consultant about that or give it some thought during this week. Like you said I really just want to open up my options rather than load up on carbs.

I know what you mean about weekends that's the hardest part, this weekend I had a night out(drank way to much) for sister and 2 friends birthdays that ofcourse ended with a big fat chicken tikka wrap and yesterday spent sofa bound! I like 5:2 idea. Hardcore til Christmas now!

I know what you mean about weekends that's the hardest part, this weekend I had a night out(drank way to much) for sister and 2 friends birthdays that ofcourse ended with a big fat chicken tikka wrap and yesterday spent sofa bound! I like 5:2 idea. Hardcore til Christmas now!

I am feeling much better about things today! Thank you all for your support. I admit that a pot noodle and a quater of a Terry's Chocolate Orange wasn't the intention for the weekend especially after our planned break on Friday night making it a cumulative naughty weekend but I am back with a vengence after working out I am a mere 4lb off the consultant qualification. If we could get there and qualified by January we would really be able to keep motivated over Christmas as well as be there for all of the new joiners as a result of New Year's resolutions. COME ON US!!!!!

Do I exercise to burn off some of the bad food or not? Some people say exercising actually makes them lose less, something about the body really hanging on as it doesn't want to increase it's fat burning capacity :p I am so impatient....

We have entered massive cost saving mode!!! We are moving to reduce our monthly outgoings, hopefullly by up to £500 a month. That also consists of cancelling Sky (booooo), cancelling our phone insurance as it was for our old phones, taking the longer routes to and from work so we don't go through zone 1 and can save up to £60 on travel a month. We are even selling many of our worldly belongings like the iPad, downsizing the TV, cancelled the PS4 preorder (I died a little inside at that one). Moving to step to to eat cheaper protiens. This is where the impatience of becomming a consultant fits in!

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe it: I went for a run!!!

We are trying to do the couch to 5k program so today we did a brisk walk for 5 minutes followed by 60 seconds jogging and then 90 seconds walking for 20 minutes.

I can't say it found it really easy but neither was it overly taxing (with the exception of our final 60 second jog that felt more like a run. Saying that, after warming down and being back home for 5 minutes I felt really buzzing and wanted to do more. In order to not overdo it I just say on the exercise bike and went pretty slow for 20 minutes.

I think next I am going to do the next session after work either tomorrow or Wednesday...

Because of the calories burned I am going to have a step 2 evening meal on those days.

Apparently muscle recovery can take a lot longer on Cambridge because of the lack of glycogen. Just don't overdo yourself :) good on you for starting! Xx

Running will have to wait...6 flat views to go to this evening!!!! Going to be BUSY! But promising. Looking to save maybe £300-500 a month by downsizing. Our aim is to save AS MUCH as we can for the next 9 months before we travel :) Bit difficult giving up our nice homey flat but it's in Central London and we could save so much on both rent and travel by biting the bullet and going elsewhere...

Last edited:
Narrowed our flat choices down from the 6 we saw last night to 2 but we still have our top contender to see this evening (just Nic going to this one), lets hope that we aren't disappointed! If anyone knows of any flatshares/spare rooms in the Croydon, double room...couple...less than £650 all inclusive...

Nic has reach the 4 stone mark!!!! Whoop whoop! That's pretty impressive seeing as though we had nandos for dinner last night. We didn't really intend to but we both we busy looking at flats and it got to 9pm, 1 hour away form home so we had some chicken! We have been exerciing more this week so I don't feel that bad about it but then I guess the exercise was to negate the food we had at the weekend so maybe I should feel bad....? It's done now! Nothing else really planned that we can't work around for another month so lets see if we can maybe lose another 1/2 a stone by then.

3 more lb left for me to hit that goal!!!

I went for my second run last night in my effort to do "couch to 5k". My phone crashed with about 5 mins left so think I ended up being a few minutes short but other than that it went ok I guess. It felt harder this time than the first time I went with Nic, maybe it because I was a bit self concious running then stopping then starting with lots of people around my in proper running gear....felt like I was intruding in my shorts and hoodie who walks for over 50% of the time...

We will try and do round three on Saturday or Sunday!

Nic went and played badminton last night and continued our flat hunt (we might have found somewhere but more on that another time). A little jealous as it would be good to go and do something for an hour where its fun enough to not feel like exercise :p

I am sitting reading about hints and tips people have for dealing with the busy Christmas period, challenges they have set themselves and if people are planning on sticking with the diet during that time and I have to wonder: what are my goals? What am I aiming for? I am so close to the 4 stone mark that I think it's manageable before the end of November so what should I be aiming at for December - January???

We have lots of other goals to achieve by then, mainly related to cost saving but not really any weight related. We both said once we reach 4 stone by Chrismtas any extra will be a bonus but I am wondering if we need something more concrete to keep us pushing as the closer we have got to the 4 stone mark the more laid back we have gotten. So we are basically just over 5 weeks to the big day. What can we achieve in this time? I don't want it to just be about weight, I want it to be about both weight and fitness. I guess part of the trigger for this is that I was thinking we could both move to step two this week or next week but Nic want's to have a final Christmas push.

• Exercise gently for at least 3 hours a week (excluding walking)
  • Lose another 1/2 a stone (total: 4.5 stone)
  • ???

Anyone got any other ideas?

It's been a while (4 whole days) since I posted on here which feels like quite a long time. I guess I went into hiding a little bit as my week 17 weigh in resulted in me staying the same which made me more than a bit fed up. I guess most of that was my own doing as we have been going more and more off plan the past few weeks with a few step 2 meals, some trips to nandos and then there was our planned break the other Friday anyway. I know things could be worst but really finding it difficult to keep going now. Nic and I tried to justify having a pizza on Friday by agreeing to do some exercise to offset it, I think I did about a hour on the exercise bike but we really need to STOP things like that. Get with the program! I would say TOTM had something to do with it but that would just be making excuses.

I really want to make a big effort for the next two weeks, but then we have a weekend away with friends this weekend and is it really possible not to go out for food/drink when there??? I am expecting not. Then of course the evening rolls around and the hunger sets in a bit and we struggle again, determination weines and it takes us everything we have not to give in.

I know dieting is hard but recently it feels worse :-(

The results are in (a day early this week) and it's 5lb!!! Yay!!!

It has been a tough few weeks with going off and getting back on the diet again a few times so I am really really happy about that. I am very much still feeling that I need to start making my way up the steps as I think the times off the diet have been caused by having so little options and variety. I'm not saying I want to go do another diet as I have finally found one that's working and I wouldn't want that to change but it's a bit like something is missing at the moment.

We have both reached the 4 stone mark so now it's time to review...

Another goal update:

Ultimate Goal: Reach a size 14 trouser size

Mini Goals:

Lose 1 stone
Lose 2 stone
Lose 3 stone
[STRIKE]Lose 4 stone[/STRIKE]
Lose 5 stone
Lose 6 stone
Lose 7 stone

Reach the 16s
Reach the 15s
Reach the 14s
Reach the 13s
Reach the 12s
Reach the 11s
Reach the 10s
Reach 10 stone!

Reach size 20
Reach size 18
Reach size 16

Have a BMI < 35
Have a BMI < 30 (No Longer "Obese")
Have a BMI < 28 (Can be a consultant - if I want)
Have a BMI < 25 (No Longer "Overweight")

Weigh less than 200lb
Have a visible collarbone
Only have one chin
No longer have what my wife calls "a pouch"

So after two runs I get a cold and since then it has been up and down in terms of healthy lungs. I really wish I felt better so I could get back on the bike and push on.
:( tell me about it, my cold has morphed in to a chest infection haven't done anything for almost 3weeks now feel absolutely terrible for it! I hope you're feeling better soon x

Back