Carbohydrate question

iwillbethinagain

Silver Member
So I appreciate that a VLCD is what it is- very low calorie and low calories = weightloss (just look at those suffering from anorexia) I also appreciate that low carbs = ketosis and that ketosis = appetite suppressant + fat burning

I also know that for ketosis you need to eat less than 60gs carbs. So my question is this- today I ate:

SnS Banana Shake
SnS Mushroom Pasta
SnS Toffee Shake
SnS Strawberry Shake
75g Broccoli
75g Cauliflower
50g Leeks
150ml skimmed milk

This has added up to 77gs of carbs. This is not unusual (I track everything on MFP) I regularly have 70gs or more of carbs, following the diet 100% how can this be? How can this work? I feel like I'm in ketosis most of the time too. And according to MFP the veg was 12g and milk 8g.

Anyone any answers?

im not quit sure about the answer to this but using the slim and save tracker Free Diets & Support Site - Online Weight Tracker & Meal Planner i have been monitoring my intake to the max and even just having the 4 packs and the veg allowance i too am finding that i am going over the deep ketosis and defo over the cals, have we found a clitch in the diet and could this be y sometimes you follow all the rules and you dont have great losses?

i have faith in the diet im just a bit confused too

Yeah, I have faith in the diet- I've lost 21lbs - nearly at target! But yeah, the combination of packs really alters the calories / carb content. I'm glad it's not just me that has noticed this.

im not quit sure about the answer to this but using the slim and save tracker Free Diets & Support Site - Online Weight Tracker & Meal Planner i have been monitoring my intake to the max and even just having the 4 packs and the veg allowance i too am finding that i am going over the deep ketosis and defo over the cals, have we found a clitch in the diet and could this be y sometimes you follow all the rules and you dont have great losses?

i have faith in the diet im just a bit confused too

Slightly off topic, but can u use the tracker on iPhone?

Everyone has a different sensitivity to carbs. For the vast majority of people they will be in ketosis on 60g of carbs a day or less. A few lucky people will be in ketosis on 100g of carbs - but it's rare. Most of us have a level within this at which we will be in ketosis. I know that I can have around 75g and still be in ketosis. The SnS packs vary hugely in their level of carbs - from memory I think the oatmeal is 8g of carbs and the spag bol (silver pack) is over 20g of carbs. So your level does depend on what packs you have. If you are regularly having 75g of carbs say and are still in ketosis then you are fine.

Hi Girls,

I'm so glad im not the only one who's noticed this. I just realised today that when I'm following the plan 100% and have my full allowance of 4 mealpacks + milk + my veg allowance my ketosis sticks are neg and I feel hungry but if I stick to just 3 packs a day with a very low carb meal like eggs then I start to get the metallic taste back, my hunger fades and my sticks turn light pink.

As Weasey said if we had 4 x spaghetti bolgnaise + milk + 200g broccoli our carb intake would be over 100g for the day so most of us would definately be kicked out of ketosis, but even if we just had the same but with 4 x strawberry milkshakes it would still be around 75g which is still above the recommended 60g limit :(

I think it's just as Weasey says that we all have to remember that what carb level suits one person might not suit another so some of us may have to slightly adjust.

Last edited:
Most people don't get kicked out of ketosis until they hit around 80g of carbs,ketosis also occurs with starvation though,so I think because the calories are so low it still isn't enough carbs to kick you out of ketosis,where as Atkins is higher calories/lower carb, so if you was to have 80g of carbs on Atkins,entering ketosis would be harder because you have to burn the carbs and calories before your body turns into fat burning mode,you burn loads of calories a day just by being alive,I worked mine out a while ago and I believe it was roughly around 1,700 calories a day that I burned,so with the deficit of calories and the low carb you still enter ketosis because your body has ran out of the fuel it needs.
That has always been my thinking into it anyway
Xx

Thanks Ruby Shoes!

Hey all! This is an interesting thread. I noticed (before I really knew anything about ketosis and how many carbs I should be having a day) that some of the packs have considerably more carbs than others i.e. porridge versus oatmeal. After finishing my sample pack I then chose items only from the low and medium carbs (to use Ruby's categories! great table thank you! :D) so that I didn't have to worry about having a certain combination of packs each day. It's handy that I like all the packs - apart from the fact that I am a vegetarian, I'm actually not a fussy eater at all!!

I also noticed, having been using the slim and save meal planner, that it often flags up that I am UNDER calories (now this is something that must be rectified IMMEDIATELY!!! :p) - only by about 50 cals or so, but it says that for best results I need to eat more :eek: - ok so today it's 54 cals which is nothing but still, when you're eating this little, every single calorie counts!

x

Hey all! This is an interesting thread. I noticed (before I really knew anything about ketosis and how many carbs I should be having a day) that some of the packs have considerably more carbs than others i.e. porridge versus oatmeal. After finishing my sample pack I then chose items only from the low and medium carbs (to use Ruby's categories! great table thank you! :D) so that I didn't have to worry about having a certain combination of packs each day. It's handy that I like all the packs - apart from the fact that I am a vegetarian, I'm actually not a fussy eater at all!!

I also noticed, having been using the slim and save meal planner, that it often flags up that I am UNDER calories (now this is something that must be rectified IMMEDIATELY!!! :p) - only by about 50 cals or so, but it says that for best results I need to eat more :eek: - ok so today it's 54 cals which is nothing but still, when you're eating this little, every single calorie counts!

x
i too have been using the slim n save meal planner and am noticing that i am going over the kcal a day by around 100-150 but am ccoming under the carb allowance by nearly half. will this effect my weight loss? or is it dangerous to have so little carb intake? and help appreciated :)

tanya12 said:
i too have been using the slim n save meal planner and am noticing that i am going over the kcal a day by around 100-150 but am ccoming under the carb allowance by nearly half. will this effect my weight loss? or is it dangerous to have so little carb intake? and help appreciated :)

No problem with having lower carb...

Back