Carribean food - replacement for high syn ingredients

kingleds

Gold Member
I'm trying to find a replacement for creamed coconut in my rice & peas recipe. Any ideas?

Also. I make a brown stew chicken recipe using all purpose seasoning - this is synned too (only 2 for the amount i use) but does anyone have a syn free replacement for this as well, or know if the dunns river seasoning is free?

I use Kara coconut milk in place of coconut cream. Its not the same as it's not all that coconutty and its comparitively very thin, so I dont use as much as the recipe asks for and if I want it thicker I add a bit of Greek yoghurt at the end.

It's not the same as coconut milk but I've not heard of anything better so far. I have it in all the time cos I lurrve it in my coffee. :)

You can get coconut essence but it's hard to find and the places I have found it on the net have ridiculous delivery charges. I think good baking shops may have it, just a case of finding one. Anyway, if you can get some, blend some cottage cheese to a smooth consistency and add some of the essence. Apparently it is a very good substitute for coconut milk :)

Thanks for that. I uaed 150mls light coconut milk which is 7 syns, & that made enough for 4 people. Think it was worth it!

I agree, I love coconut milk. Thai curries are one of my favourites but you have to use quite a bit in those. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and invest in some essence and try it. You can get cheaper coconut flavour and extract but Nigella apparently says that essence is much better! If I get some and try it I'll post what it was like in case you have need for some coconut milk in the future x

That would be great! I actually don't like the coconut taste really, but the milk definitely adds something to thai & carribean foods.

Here is my recipe for Peas & Rice , I also had a job finding a substitute for the coconut milk, settled for low fat but very thin

Pete’s Jamaican Rice and Peas

Serves 4
Ingredients

1 400g tin of red kidney beans
1 medium onion, chopped
1 spring onion , crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon dried thyme
200mL low fat coconut milk
water (or chicken or vegetable broth)
1 scotch bonnet chilli
1 cup long grained brown rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Rinse beans and leave to drain.
Heat a large saucepan sprayed with Fry Light. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the thyme, the beans and the coconut milk plus water to make up 4 cupful, and simmer, covered, for ten minutes. Add the rice and bring to a boil. Place the chilli on top. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until all of the moisture has been absorbed by the rice. Remove the scotch bonnet chilli.
Serve with chicken.

Attachments

• Jamaican rice & Peas (Large).JPG
    Jamaican rice & Peas (Large).JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 209
Love rice and peas (Jamaican husband). Have decided to eliminate the coconut milk altogether and just season with scotch bonnet (green), salt, garlic, fresh thyme and black pepper. Haven't noticed a difference really (Less syns!).

As for the seasoning, I didn't realise it was sinned. What I wld do is read the ingredients list on the back and make up
My own minus the funky stuff. I also make my own pickled peppers (malt vinegar) which is syn free and use that for seasoning along with some soy sauce, pimento and garlic powder.

Hope this helps

Back