Cate's diary...Total change

catexx

Hey all, i have been looking and searching for the best way for me to eat, and hopefully lose stoneage!!!
I am a 37 year old, i have a 14 year old son. I was a single mum for most of his upbringing, my partner passed away when son was little, through choice i decided to focus on son and bringing him up to the best of my ability.... think i have done a OK kind of job,he is hardworking, intelligent, socially aware, witty,if a little cheeky at times. All was OK in my life (or so i thought). 2 years ago out of the blue i met someone!!!! still to this day not sure how it happened, he really, really just loves me for me...I am 22stone 12lbs!!!! i have made no effort with any aspect of my physical apperence, grey hair, not had a haircut in years, overweight, shapeless clothes....Since OH has come into my life slowly but surely he has been rebuilding my confidence. I have just found out i have pcos (have most symptoms so kind of guessed). I have now come to the decision i must make an entire lifestyle change. Through lots of research, and reading, mainly all your wonderful posts!!! i have come to the conclusion Atkins was made for me!!!! I have just seen my G.P. and with his blessing i am going to embark on this journey. I have picked up a prescription for metformin (helps with my insulin resistance-pcos)....All i have to do is wait for blood results to come back, promised my gp i would wait! and re read everything again. I am going to have to do Atkins on a budget, but reading through the menus i am convinced it is achievable. xxxx

Last edited:
Forgot to mention i got hair dye today!!!!!! i am a mousy brown with grey running through!! so i went for understated red! I am going out tomorrow night for a friends birthday, unsure if i should get the dye out now? working night shift tonight so wont have time ahhhh little bit apprehensive

Hi Cate and welcome. Atkins is a good choice for PCOS as carbs are processed differently, as sugars I believe, in suferrers - you may have noticed that you don't get the energy boost from them that others do! I have a Mirena to deal with mine and would defo recommend it. I noticed after about 6 months that the hair on my arms was no longer dark and course and the little patches under my ears is pretty much invisible. Good luck with it and post here as often as you can.

Yes good luck, you are doing the right thing making sure tests all come back first, i know its tempting to rush in, but its best to do things properly. Your oh sounds very nice, it will make all the difference for you to have someone supportive!

Thanks both for reply's
I am worried as i have had a very unhealthy relationship with food. I accept i am a carb addict, but i find i shovel food, i don't taste the flavors savior the texture or enjoy greatly i eat very very fast. I do adore that stuffed feeling, the feeling of a full stomach.
I am hoping being more mindful of what is going in will be helpful, i am also hoping that i can replace food with water, to give me that full feeling. I also excited that going into ketosis may give me the feeling i don't need to eat and eat!!! But i am aware my eating habits have a very interwoven emotional reason behind them. I am addressing this also, so all in place to succeed x

Hi Cate, I am a long term pcos sufferer too. I have been unsuccessful at weight loss all my life, despite valiant attempts. As soon as I found low carb it changed, I lost weight, periods became regular, memory & concentration got better. I still have some facial hirsutism, but vaniqa cream works wonders for that. I don't take metformin, but that's more because my doctor advised he doesn't know any thing about pcos! Good luck, I loved Atkins access will be back to it after current vlcd in early December.

Carbs are processed as sugars by everyone Lisa, not just PCOS sufferers.

I have it too, a very severe form, and my endocrinologist recommends low carb as the best possible way of eating to help self medicate your symptoms. Low carb eating helps regulate blood sugars and prevents the high spikes and crashes that make most people crave food. Eating is a habit and you may need to learn new ones - but you'll also find you can eat a wide variety of food on Atkins that is filling and harder to shovel than 'filler' carbs are. I think you've made a great choice for you.

And the red hair sounds like a good choice too ;)

Supersmileyme said:
Hi Cate, I am a long term pcos sufferer too. I have been unsuccessful at weight loss all my life, despite valiant attempts. As soon as I found low carb it changed, I lost weight, periods became regular, memory & concentration got better. I still have some facial hirsutism, but vaniqa cream works wonders for that. I don't take metformin, but that's more because my doctor advised he doesn't know any thing about pcos! Good luck, I loved Atkins access will be back to it after current vlcd in early December.

Going to ask my GP for vaniqa! I have has a course of laser treatment, that has taken the worse, I am/should be due a 6 month blast after Christmas. This cream sounds ideal. Thank you!!! I am excited to give be giving Atkins a go, hurry up blood results. X

I am reading and re-reading everything about Atkins!. I am now re-reading the book. I understand the medical logic behind it, in fact when reading it made perfect sense. I am so so excited, I work nights next Wednesday (I should have got my blood results that afternoon) so plan on a shipping trip Thursday morning. I have noticed a shopping list thread, so have realised I have to go to approx 6 different shops!!! Another thing does anybody know if peppermint tea is carb free??

Hi Cate, yes get vaniqa. Once you've used it for a while you'll notice far less hair to pluck.
Peppermint tea is fine. So glad you're excited, it will make such a difference. Make sure you have some bouillon twice a day in the beginning, the salt makes a huge difference to how you feel.

Ok thanks for the advice, any other essential info you think I may need ? I am confused re diet drinks, I don't drink lots but is one can of coke zero a night allowed??

Yes, I'm sure that's fine. I don't drink carbonated drinks that much, but if I'm out somewhere I'll have a diet coke or fizzy water occasionally. The internet is fantastic for low carb recipes. There's not many recipes that haven't been adapted for low carb. If you have spare time on your hands have a good search around for ideas.

Evening Cate and welcome :)

Sounds like you're off to a great start - but post away anyway!

With fizzy drinks, many contain citric acid which can stall some people - but I think coke zero is OK :) Caffeine can also bring on cravings - so that's why I think it's a good idea to cut down loads/altogether, particularly during induction.

Thanks lady, I drink way to much of the stuff. So will limit myself to one can a night. I guess it will be my treat, replace the hot choc I have xx

So last night i dragged my rather large arse for a girlie night out. After 6 different jugs of cocktails (apple pie my fave!!!) I Informed my friends I was starting Atkins. It was met with positivity, it seems some have tried at some stage in their life!!!! All who have tried reported it works, non have stayed/maintained, but most of them have very little if nothing to lose! My friend who is large like myself was really interested, said she is going to watch and see if it works!! So all in all pleased with reaction. Now I know I can't drink during induction, but when I can, what is advised???? I can guess the sugar laden cocktails off the menu, but is wine on option?? I don't drink a massive amount, but a glass or two would be enjoyed x

Great to hear your friends are supportive, that really helps!

Gosh apple pie cocktails sound lush :D

Re alcohol (the thing that trips me up all the time, and not just because of the amount I put away lol) - moderation is definitely the key with low carbing. Others can give you the scientific explanation but what it does is your body swaps from burning fat to burning alcohol, so any alcohol will slow you down/stall or you may well put on as well, because wine has sugar in it. Some people go for spirits like vodka or gin but unless you use soda water or coke zero as the mixer, you then hit the issue of citric acid again...

But you are going to do brilliantly and I'm sure it won't be an issue! :)

Incidentally, before I started low carbing a couple of years ago I drank about six cans of diet coke a day - now I might have one a week. Proves it can be done, even by an addict like me! :D

So today has been all about preparing, looking at recipes, thinking about food choices, doing an online shop, making sure I am fully prepared. I have been going through lots of people's diary's, I feel so ready to start. In the meantime I am eating up all the carbs present in house, we have decided to get rid of all things not allowed. Mind I think the red wine may have kept...

Ahhhhhh I so just want to start!!!! I am working 3 night shifts starting tonight....blood results Wednesday pm, So plan to go do shop Thursday, then weigh and start Friday....... It's seems to be taking forever, I hope this enthusiasm stays with me xx

Just come here and we will bash the enthusiasm into you lol. I so wish I could do proper Atkins but can't tolerate the fat due to gallstones. But happy to report since I ditched the fat 12 months ago I've not had an attack. I miss mattesons sausage and nuked corned beef with melted cheese lol. Last time I had corned beef I had an attack and puked in my car whilst driving!! Probably tmi there lol.

Back