Cauliflower mash

Alibongo

Happily pro pointing!
I am after a recipe, not sure if you add stuff or literally just mash it.
I am sure DebG mentioned it some time ago :)
Just planning for starting week 4 (cooked veg :drool:)

When I do cauli mash I just cook it til it's softish then mash with a SMALL amount of butter, s&p. It mashes up to a smaller amount than you think though. Also you can grate the whole head of a cauli and dry stir fry it for a few minutes. I use it as a rice substitute as it really doesn't taste like cauli! Sometimes I'll add a couple splashes of soy sauce if Im doing a stir fry, or leave plain for a curry. Even the kids didn't know what it was until I told them!

butter tastes nicer, and its not much cos the cauli is soft and bland.

I thought about quark too or maybe greek yoghurt.
BB we aren't allowed butter or any other fats until after we finish RTM.

I'll have a look for you. You can also make cauliflower rice by grating raw cauli with a cheese grater, then boiling (only for a few mins) the little gratings and using it anytime you would normally use rice. Is it week four when we can cook our veggies?

Here's one you can try!

Pureed or mashed cauliflower is a great substitute for mashed potatoes. Low in carbs and high in nutrients, the "cauli-taste" is very mild. Try it even if you think you won't like it - my husband asks for it! You can flavor it up in any way you like - adding garlic is a great addition, or Parmesan cheese, or both!
Ingredients:

• raw cauliflower - a medium head makes about a pound of florettes
  • any combination of butter, milk, cream, or whatever you use when you make mashed potatoes - about 1/4 cup (we could use QUARK or Greek Yog)
  • salt and pepper
Options: minced garlic (a clove or two); garlic powder (1/2 to 1 teaspoon); cheese
Preparation:

Break the cauliflower up into florets, or just chop. I like to cook it in the microwave in a container that I prepare and serve it in, but you can steam it. Cook it until it's tender - a fork should easily pierce it.

The easiest thing to do is to add the rest of the ingredients to the container the cauliflower is cooked in, and then use a stick (hand) blender to put it all together. Or you can put it all in a regular blender or food processor.

Assuming 4 servings from a pound of cauliflower, each will have about 3 grams of usable carbohydrate plus three grams of fiber. The calories will depend on what else you add.

Good - keep buying courgettes - but only like them cooked! Have remembered to leave them off my list this week - will add it next week though. How exciting! Looking forward to cooked veg - in fact I may roast some in the oven next week.......ooh.....you've got me planning now!

i am planning, roast lamb, roasted veg with cauli mash for Sunday dinner, I can hardly contain myself :D

I don't like raw courgette either, was going to try courgette ribbons with bolognese instead of pasta, think that might work.

Also on the menu for next week is moussaka stuffed aubergine, steak with grilled veg (like toms and mushrooms), and chicken korma in portobello mushrooms.

Oooh....sounds lovely. I'm SOOOO enjoying RTM. Every week is so exciting, and I actually set aside time to cook for myself (even if it is just 10 mins chopping up a salad) - I would NEVER have done that before, but now it is becoming part of my routine.

I know what you mean Dancing, but I'm find it exciting to think that I will soon be doing this, and I think it kinda helps keep me motivated whilst on abstinence. Just wondering though, where do you get your ideas for recipes from? I would never of thought of doing chicken korma in portobello mushrooms! Do you get a recipe book or something whilst on RTM?

Hi Corey
You do get mini recipes books every 4 weeks, also the recipes can be found in the management section of the LL website, you get a login when you start RTM. The korma is a recipe from there and I wanted to serve it with something and the mushrooms seemed like a good idea.
The korma is actually really nice, definitely going to have that one again. It is quite mild though so might need some spicing up a bit, but very tasty.

Hi Corey
You do get mini recipes books every 4 weeks, also the recipes can be found in the management section of the LL website, you get a login when you start RTM. The korma is a recipe from there and I wanted to serve it with something and the mushrooms seemed like a good idea.
The korma is actually really nice, definitely going to have that one again. It is quite mild though so might need some spicing up a bit, but very tasty.

Lucky Chilli is OK then ...:)

I am after a recipe, not sure if you add stuff or literally just mash it.
I am sure DebG mentioned it some time ago :)
Just planning for starting week 4 (cooked veg :drool:)

On Atkins, I regularly made this - I used the leafs and stalks too - in fact the stalks are best for the mash. You can also add broccoli - stalks and flowers - to the mix along with swede. You can also try celeriac too for a change, or try roasting aubergines or courgette or peppers or mushroom (or all of them) and then blending them into the mash.

Don't forget the black pepper - and garlic along with a small amount of butter or olive oil (or yoghurt).

Not sure what you are allowed on RTM, but those are all OK in Atkins - I guess on LL you have top watch the fats.

Back