CBT

Hey Katy, how is this going? I haven't even had a chance to look at the workbook I downloaded yet. I am doing a masters and work full time so I really don't know when I will find the time.

I think Beck is good. I argue with some of the lessons/steps but basically i know it's right, and it helps to be aware of the arguments as they're the saboteur in me I guess. With Beck, you do one chapter or step a day, so five minutes tops... easy to fit in and Becca surely you're worth the work! I work full time too, very long hours, and sometimes 7 days a week, but I have been making myself so miserable with the food issues I have to see that this is important and make time for it.

I wish I could say it was a magic solution, I don't think it is - you have to work at it. It takes time to re-train your default thoughts and beliefs. But... it has to be worth the effort. Quite a few of us on the maintainers (ha!) forum are working through Beck, finding lots of help in it. I'd say give your download a go... I think CBT could be applied to all areas of our lives really so never wasted.

Your losses have been great hun, it's going SOOO slow for me, sigh!

xxx

I should really do it I know. Something needs to change so I am not back here next year. I think I will buy the book as I am assuming it is food related rather than the workbook that I have which I think is aimed more at depression, anxiety and anger. I just have serious trouble actually finding any reason I eat other than I want to. I think it is possible I just get pig headed and tell myslef if I want it then I can have it. Maybe I will learn something, I really hope so.

Thanks hun. I still have a fair way to go but I seem to have hit the right zone to stick at it, I don't think I have ever done nearly four weeks 100%. Even when I was sucessful the first time I was doing ss+ and having some salad cream most nights and the Quorn fillets instead of pieces (I didn't realise they had onion in them) whoops. This time I have done ss 100%. I even had a weekend away with my finacees brother and parents, they had Indian and lovely pasta and all sorts but I refrained. I am very stubborn right now. You will get there, you are so close and perhaps the slower losses are good in order to give you the time to get the maintenance head on.

Yes, it's all food related... it works more on giving you tactics/tools to deal with the impulses to eat rather than trying to work them out and unravel them, although I find I can sometimes see where a sabotage came from, but usually afterwards, never during! I am the same, sometimes I want to eat and it's as if nothing will stop me... other times I am wilfully on a self-destruct mission and I know it's about feeling not good enough, not strong enough, all kinds of very destructive emotions that I won't go into here.

CD has given me a welcome break from all of that, and I hope this time around to crack the self-destruct stuff which is why I am using Beck. Amazon has it a bit cheaper than the shops.

Well done on your success so far, that's brilliant!

xxx

Back