CBT

Beccubug

Silver Member
Has anyone tried CBT to change their "relationship" with food and if so how effective was it? I printed off an introductory work book yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I am trying to change my attitude to the diet in the hope that it will make it easier but as I am sure everyone does I worry about doing the same as I did last time and returning to "normal" eating and piling the weight back on.

have ordered the Beck Solution book from amazon, I think this is CBT as applied to losing weight and keeping it off. Have also ordered an EFL book, (Paul McKenna apparently took some of their concepts for his 'make you thin' project) so when they come will be interested to see if I can find any answers within. I'm looking for something that can change my head as well as my body, so very interested to know what has worked for others.

xxx

have ordered the Beck Solution book from amazon, I think this is CBT as applied to losing weight and keeping it off. Have also ordered an EFL book, (Paul McKenna apparently took some of their concepts for his 'make you thin' project) so when they come will be interested to see if I can find any answers within. I'm looking for something that can change my head as well as my body, so very interested to know what has worked for others.

xxx

That is what I want to do too. Could you let me know what they are like?

Hi
I am in the middle of CBT at the moment; initially for my food issues but it quickly highlighted that "perfectionism" was my central issue and that was actually causing a lot of the negative thinking around my food e.g. all or nothing, binge eating etc. Although I haven't done any work directly focussed on food (most of it around work-based situations as it is my biggest source of stress) the way of shifting my thinking that CBT teaches has helped me with my eating. i don't think that I would have started CD and been successful without these insights via my sessions.
It will be interesting what you think of CBT and whether it helps you...
Clair

The Beck book is great, I used that last time, but like CBT, you have to work at it, and when I came off plan I l"lost" the book! My own silly fault I regained. I'm currently using a couple of hypnosis apps, and I love them, they really help me to get motivated and stay on track. Last time it was when I gave these up that I came off plan. Go for it, if nothing else they give some different coping strategies. Good Luck :)

I always recommend the book 'You can be Thin' by Marisa Peer.

It uses hypnosis and NLP techniques and it works wonders. Its written in a hypnotic style which helps you to absorb the information and re-evaluate your relationship with food. For me the effects of reading the book tend to kick in the day after. I find that my cravings disappear and i start to think differently about my relationship with food. I just don’t feel tempted and i can resist foods that used to control my life.

It also comes with a free hypnosis CD that basically reinforces what you have read in the book.

Its definitely worth having a read. xx

If this was off of the internet, could you kindly let me have the address URL of where it is, as I am interested in trying this. Thanks.

I have it in PDF format if you want to send me your e-mail address I can get it to you.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will give this a go and then look into some of your suggestions.

My BECK book just arrived... woo hoo!

xxx

Which I'd better, the beck book or the marisa peer one? I seriously need to get one to break this ridiculous self destructive food habit of mine!

Hiya, I am currently working through the Becks Diet Solution CD, and am also listening to my Paul McKenna I can make you Thin CD's to help me overcome my addiction. So far, they seem to be helping a bit, but you do need to keep listening to them and work through the Becks Diet solution daily.
Good luck. :)

Thank you! sounds like a good plan, it'll fill my time that I would normally spend eating! :)

Will let you know what I think of the Beck book when I have read it... so far so good.

xxx

Which I'd better, the beck book or the marisa peer one? I seriously need to get one to break this ridiculous self destructive food habit of mine!

I'm plannnig on getting the Beck book this weekend so i'll let you know which one i think is better.

Having said that i think you should try Marisa Peer. The book uses alot of visulisation exercises and it isn't as tough as CBT but still effective.

You could try reading them both and see which works for you. You could also google reviews of both books and see what others have to say.

xx

Have started the Beck now and very impressed so far... it is the closest 'fit' to the way I think about food and the tactics/ tools seem like they might work for me. I read several self-help books on over-eating last time around and they didn't quite feel right... I find visualisations very hard, but the CBT seems easier to grasp somehow? I think it might just be about finding a book that 'feels' right for you!

xxx

Back