CD and kids

hels123smiles

Silver Member
I have a 3 and a 1yr old and Im looking at starting the CD, My hubby works away most of the time so most of the time Im just feeding the children and myself.

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas of making them good meals but not be tempted? They eat very little so its going to be a nightmare cooking just for them and my 3yr old is going to be asking why Im not eating....what do you tell the little ones?

i have a 11yr, 9yr, 5yr and 11 month old. I cook for them with no probs but you do have to be motivated not to pick or eat their food! lol

I have been honest with my children and told them that i have eaten unhealthy and need to start healthy eating too loose weight and keep my body healthy.

I am lucky as my children all have good appetites and eating healthily and not too much into junk.

You can eat with them, you can have soup :) or porridge if you can hack that in the evening.
Also you could have a 200 calorie meal on SS+ add this to your soup and you have a big blooming meal! Salad, veg and meat / quorn or fish. :)

I have a almost 10 year old who was upset when I started CD again (I was on it a few years ago) she is now fine with it as I do join them for meals, I just don't eat what they do :)

I can't say it doesn't smell lovely.. cos it does! BUT I don't want it.. honestly I remind myself everytime that I CAN have it.. but I choose not to have it. It's my decision what I put in my mouth and right now, it's not what they're eating. And to be honest it's been that way for a while as I'm veggie and they're not! lol

Good luck! :D be strong.. even more because you have children than if you didn't. :)

What about making them healthy meals but with foods you dont like or that dont appeal to you so you wont be tempted?

I dont want to eat at all when I start. I cant trust myself.

That is a good idea crazylilblondie! I hate Salmon, but would like the kids to eat it, but that is about all I dont like!!

Ill make them meals that are freezable too, they are at Nursery one whole day so that is one day down! Then a day at my Mums, plenty of meat and veg :)
They dont eat much, but will try anything and like most things, I need to get this weight off, I dont want them to end up like me, Im like my Mum!

I didn't seem to have a problem cooking for my 2 boys and hubby, though I can't remember how I felt in the first couple of weeks.

Later though, I seemed to be able to separate 'their' food from 'my' food. I sort of had it in my mind that if I ate 'their' food, I was stealing it off them. Seemed to work for me.

I sat with my boys at dinner each day, but didn't eat with them, just chatted. Didn't tell them about the diet for 5 months. I think it was about 3 months before they even noticed I wasn't eating :D

The oldest (then mid teens) suddenly said "you not having dinner today?" I said No...not today..having something later. Then the subject was dropped for another couple of months :D

They're bright boys really :D :D

I didn't seem to have a problem cooking for my 2 boys and hubby, though I can't remember how I felt in the first couple of weeks.

Later though, I seemed to be able to separate 'their' food from 'my' food. I sort of had it in my mind that if I ate 'their' food, I was stealing it off them. Seemed to work for me.

I sat with my boys at dinner each day, but didn't eat with them, just chatted. Didn't tell them about the diet for 5 months. I think it was about 3 months before they even noticed I wasn't eating :D

The oldest (then mid teens) suddenly said "you not having dinner today?" I said No...not today..having something later. Then the subject was dropped for another couple of months :D

They're bright boys really :D :D

Similar thing for me too, like KD here. I've just still sat with my kids (5 & 11) and chatted about their day. They only asked once about me having any tea and I also just said that I was cooking something for later and they just accepted that and carried on chatting away:rolleyes::D

Similar thing for me too, like KD here. I've just still sat with my kids (5 & 11) and chatted about their day. They only asked once about me having any tea and I also just said that I was cooking something for later and they just accepted that and carried on chatting away:rolleyes::D

:D Yeah. I think it's common. My kids just thought...yum...food...eat...and let's get it down so we can get back to what we were doing :D

I think it's easy to over analyse when it comes to children. Though I reckon it's pretty important to eat with them at meal times, it's more important to sit with them and talk about their days etc.

In the grand scheme of things, this diet is only for a short while and children aren't always the most thoughtful of creatures when it comes to mummy :rolleyes: I think that some people draw their attention to the fact that they are dieting, when the topic can be easily avoided.

The diet just wasn't mentioned in our house. In fact, it's only recently that I've talked about it with them.

It's just not something I felt I wanted them to think about. They had a good relationship with food, and I wanted it to stay that way. Drawing attention to the fact that food could be an issue just didn't feel right for me at the time :)

I've been honest with my kids from the start because of the age they are they're always cooking at school or wanting to make me sandwiches etc so I had to tell them.They seem OK with it-they just keep reminding me that when I come off the diet I can't have too many chips.Cooking for them is a nightmare though.It smells soooooo nice.LOL.I just keep telling myself that I will eat it in the end,just not right now.

Thank you all. One of my main reasons for wanting to loose weight and become healthy is so that my children may have a better relationship with food than I do.

I was always made to eat everything on my plate and given 2nd helpings and puddings. My Mum is very overweight and Diabetic.

My children (aged 6 and 9) noticed straight away. I was prepared for them questioning me having milkshake for breakfast and just explained that it wasn't actually milkshake and that it was my way of having a healthy meal and getting my body healthier. I also explained that it wasn't going to be for very long and that it wasn't something that they really needed to think about. I said that as I love them so much, I want to make sure I can be as healthy as possible for them. They don't really take any notice now so am hoping that it won't have any affect on them in the long run. The last thing I want for them is for them to have my screwed up relationship with food!

My daughter is 13 and actually cried over dinner one night. She wanted to join me on the CD, even though she's not in the slightest overweight. I told her no, and she cried even more, saying it "wasn't fair" I wasn't eating.

My son (15) tutted at me when i told him, then shrugged his shoulders and grunted a "you dont need to diet, you're fine as you are and all my mates think you're fit" at me. Other than that he's not really made any other comments lol. bless him, I have to admit to being a bit chuffed that his friends think i'm fit. Sad huh? lol

I have a 2 year old & an 8 month old.
When I first started the diet Anton didn't even notice that I wasn't eating, but now he's a bit older he does. He's always trying to feed me his food. Like he's worried. lol
He has a little table that he eats at in the kitchen next to our table. But he likes me to sit with him!

So now I sit at his table & eat my 810 meal with him. I also find he eats more if I do this, so it's worth it just for that.

Ohhh nooo! I have just thought, if Im having a shake at breakfast, I just KNOW my 3 yr old will want one too!

My ds makes me leave him a bit of my shakes in the bottom of my beaker.... He's very fond of them!

I'm on SS+ and so have been having my 200Cal meal with them, more to set a healthy example than anything else. I think so long as you sit with them it doesn't matter though!

I chew gum when cooking and if they leave anything on their plate I quicky squirt washing up liquid on it!

I have had some big food opportunities this week, but I think all the time you are motivated, you won't be tempted.

Good luck! :)

Back