CD leading to binges?????

IWillBeAYummyMummy said:
I allow every day to be different. If i think that today will be hard i'll have a step 3 day, if its gonna be easy i have a ss+ day. The key is to keep cwp in your diet, even in the background. It saves binging and step 3 is a very large evening meal! Don't feel bad for being human. Anyone who says they haven't fallen off the wagon at some point or another is lying and quite possibly in denial. I have BED, have had binges and still lost! Then i found that mixing the steps helped me stay on track and i even lost 8lbs this week doing it. Chin up girls, you will find your balance :) x

That's a really good idea. I was thinking about doing that but didn't want to mention it to my CDC as I think she likes to stick to one step at a time. So glad to here you can still lose weight mixing the steps. Thank you for posting this. C

Allblue said:
Fifty shades of grey, it's rubbish If I could send you my Ipad copy I would.

I haven't bought it yet as not sure if I'd like it as I'm a bit of a big kid and love happy Disney stuff etc... Might still give it a try. Only £3 in Asda. X

bettyb82 said:
That's a really good idea. I was thinking about doing that but didn't want to mention it to my CDC as I think she likes to stick to one step at a time. So glad to here you can still lose weight mixing the steps. Thank you for posting this. C

My consultant is all for it but i was very honest about my binging with her. It's either i use the different steps or i do one good week followed by one bad week. I have completely changed my attitude to the diet now. If i want some carbs, i will have them and if i want a small protein portion i will have it. As long as the scales go down then its working :) x

That's a really good idea. It's good that you can work around your BED and make the diet work for you! My consultant also said if I'm struggling at the weekends to go up to a higher step but I haven't tried it yet. Not really sure what I can have on the higher steps as I'm on SS+ at the moment. Might ask her for the books!

That's a really good idea. It's good that you can work around your BED and make the diet work for you! My consultant also said if I'm struggling at the weekends to go up to a higher step but I haven't tried it yet. Not really sure what I can have on the higher steps as I'm on SS+ at the moment. Might ask her for the books!

Step 2 (810) is similar to ss+. You have 3 cambridge products, 425ml skimmed milk, one portion of protein-rich food, 80g veg or salad (same list as ss+).

the protein-rich portion is bigger than in ss+
*70g soya beans
(dried weight), 80g red lentils (dried weight) , 80g chickpeas (dried weight), 80g blackeye beans (dried weight), 96g aduki beans (dried weight), 190g tuna steak (fresh), 225g chickpeas (canned, drained), 245g chicken or turkey breast without skin/fat, 250g pre-cooked prawns, 250 cottage cheese (plain, less than 5% fat), 260g tinned tuna (in water/brine), 275g white fish fillet, 275g quorn mince, 325g cottage cheese (less than 2% fat), 350g steamed tofu, 2 large eggs.

Hope this helps. x

Hey ladies thanks for all replies, have been back to CDC after two weeks (she was on hol) and have put on 3lb as a result of my binges! I have now moved to step two so I can have a bigger meal in the evenings! Feeling more motivated now I have seen my gain! xx

little-e said:
Hey ladies thanks for all replies, have been back to CDC after two weeks (she was on hol) and have put on 3lb as a result of my binges! I have now moved to step two so I can have a bigger meal in the evenings! Feeling more motivated now I have seen my gain! xx

Glad you're feeling motivated again. Xx

Hi All,

Reading through this thread there seems to be differing interpretations of what a 'binge' is. Falling off the wagon, cheating etc are going off plan - a binge is different - I think this is where the problem begins. It certainly did for me anyway...

I lost the ability to accept/forgive myself for cheating/slipping up - eating even the tiniest thing set off failure alarms and started to put me in a very dark place where bingeing was inevitable. At that time any tiny deviation from plan WAS a binge in my eyes - perhaps in order to justify continuing with the actual binge that was to follow as a punishment.

Anyway, enough of my waffling - back to your question - does CD leads to binge eating? In my case it didn't help but I certainly don't think it's inevitable for everyone on the diet.

I believe I am just a greedy person, and years of dieting (hence username!) because I'm not comfortable in the body that being greedy gives me is what lead me there. CD was just the final step towards it.

The well meaning mental health professionals I've seen over the years would be rolling there eyes at the statement above. But sometimes it IS just that simple - I'm greedy, have been for as long as I can remember. It's not my lovely parents fault, it's not a school bullys fault, it's MY fault! I hate myself for being like it and (for me) bingeing is a side effect of THAT - not any diet in particular. CD did elevate my binges to a new level but it wasn't the cause - that's all my own work!

yo-yo said:
Hi All,

Reading through this thread there seems to be differing interpretations of what a 'binge' is. Falling off the wagon, cheating etc are going off plan - a binge is different - I think this is where the problem begins. It certainly did for me anyway...

I lost the ability to accept/forgive myself for cheating/slipping up - eating even the tiniest thing set off failure alarms and started to put me in a very dark place where bingeing was inevitable. At that time any tiny deviation from plan WAS a binge in my eyes - perhaps in order to justify continuing with the actual binge that was to follow as a punishment.

Anyway, enough of my waffling - back to your question - does CD leads to binge eating? In my case it didn't help but I certainly don't think it's inevitable for everyone on the diet.

I believe I am just a greedy person, and years of dieting (hence username!) because I'm not comfortable in the body that being greedy gives me is what lead me there. CD was just the final step towards it.

The well meaning mental health professionals I've seen over the years would be rolling there eyes at the statement above. But sometimes it IS just that simple - I'm greedy, have been for as long as I can remember. It's not my lovely parents fault, it's not a school bullys fault, it's MY fault! I hate myself for being like it and (for me) bingeing is a side effect of THAT - not any diet in particular. CD did elevate my binges to a new level but it wasn't the cause - that's all my own work!

I totally agree. Eating something off plan is exactly that - going off plan, but when I properly fall off the wagon I would call it a binge as I will just eat and eat until I feel sick. A massive unhealthy dinner, then I could eat through packs and packs of biscuits and chocolate in a short space of time. It doesn't happen too often for me so I'm very fortunate (although just going off plan happens far too often!)

I agree binges can happen on any diet. It happened to me on SW and WW too, even though you can have anything in moderation on those diets. Im also very greedy and it's a habit I really need to kick. It's not as bad as some people's stories I've read but it's a very slippery slope!

A binge to me is probably a good 2000+ calories over 1 maybe 2 hours and then either throwing it up, starving myself for days or taking at least 12 laxatives to compensate for what i had eaten. However, i have been doing it since i was 14. It started off as a few packets of crisps in say 10 mins whenever i was upset now it is a lot worse but i don't do it as often and manage it a lot better. I don't think any diet triggers binging, only you can. If it is already a part of you then any diet where your restricted could lead to binging but that is a result of an eating disorder NOT the diet. x hope i made sense lol x

IWillBeAYummyMummy said:
A binge to me is probably a good 2000+ calories over 1 maybe 2 hours and then either throwing it up, starving myself for days or taking at least 12 laxatives to compensate for what i had eaten. However, i have been doing it since i was 14. It started off as a few packets of crisps in say 10 mins whenever i was upset now it is a lot worse but i don't do it as often and manage it a lot better. I don't think any diet triggers binging, only you can. If it is already a part of you then any diet where your restricted could lead to binging but that is a result of an eating disorder NOT the diet. x hope i made sense lol x

That makes perfect sense! Im sorry it's so severe for you. I think I read before that you have been diagnosed with BED? It's good that they can recognise that it's an actual disorder and im glad you can manage it better now :)

Felix said:
That makes perfect sense! Im sorry it's so severe for you. I think I read before that you have been diagnosed with BED? It's good that they can recognise that it's an actual disorder and im glad you can manage it better now :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is BED? X

Yeah, i was diagnosed at 14 as it was almost a side effect of things that happened at that time.

Wow fantastic topic

Wow fantastic topic

I think we are all here for one reason, that we all love food a little to much, now with this diet we are literally starving ourselves to get the results we crave.
Now when i started this diet 2 years ago i was 22stone, and after 16weeks of ss i got down to 14 1/2 stone, which for a 6"2' guy wasnt bad at all, then this marvelous thing happened, i reintroduced food, from there i didnt eat properly and after a couple of restarts i hovered between 15 and 16 1/2
Then this year i was creeping back into the 17 stone mark, so i made a decision to restart ss! So what eventually happened is i didnt just have a last supper i had a last binge day prior to my restart days - problem was i think i had about 10 restart days, so at this point i was spending money and putting on weight?!?! I became addicted to bingeing, secretly eating in the car before i got home

Today i have restarted again, main reason is i have a warddrobe which has nothing in it that fits, and have crept up to 18stone, i will stick to it and will reach my goal, my only worry is what happens after :(

well done for starting again, dont worry about what u cant change concentrate on today xx

We all have binge triggers. And they are usually sugary or starchy foods i.e. carbohydrates. With me it was biscuits. I love biscuits and on a bad day, or even on a good one, were I to be so totally daft as to risk having a biscuit or two, chances are I would very soon be off and running and eating whatever I could get my hands on.

Basically eating carbs is what triggers our binges. Nobody binges on lettuce. Nobody craves rocket salad in the wee small hours of the morning. When we feel tempted to stray from our diet it is 99% likely to be for high carb food - not necessarily sweet - can be bread, crisps, chips, pizza... etc.

With me the worst offender was always biscuits, but not exclusively. It would start with something sweet, in any case. And all too often from that point on I was helpless. Real, no kidding, serious bingeing such as described by Felix and others involves consuming many different foods - usually carbs - over a period of time that ranges from minutes to hours. And the total calorie consumption can total many thousands, not just a few. It's all a question of degree.

So the important thing is to avoid the trigger or triggers. This is why I love low-carbing. It calms that raging appetite that no amount of junk could ever hope to satisfy, long term. One biscuit, you could say, is too many and a thousand not enough. Yes, this is borrowed from the phrase alcoholics use - indeed, addicts of all kinds. And I and most here are addicted to food and eating and more specifically to carbs.

There is a huge difference of course between the occasional binge and true binge eating disorder. I have the latter, and have had for most of my adult life. In either case, though, the dieter has to make a real commitment to avoiding the binge trigger or triggers. It's not easy, to say the least. The definition of addiction is trying to quit a substance or behaviour, wanting desperately to quit, and being unable to. That certainly covers my lack of control around carbs, particularly sweet ones. Some days I can 'get away' with it but other days - oh, boy.

Some have suggested that VLCDs encourage binge eating, because the dieter gets so hungry (or, rather, so powerfully craves the physical process of eating; biting, licking, chewing, swallowing etc) that they can only last for so long before they crack. This is why Cambridge Weight Plan has a rule that the diet should not ever be sold to people who have had in the past, or who still have, any kind of recognised eating disorder, the most significant being anorexia or bulimia. Binge eating disorder is bulimia even without throwing up.

However that would mean that most people would not qualify to use it as, let's face it, most of us have starved in the past, then binged, etc etc. Again it's a question of degree.

The single biggest saviour on Cambridge is ketosis, just as it is on Atkins etc. But even in ketosis we can suddenly feel desperate to eat. Cambridge is a great diet but the habits and behaviours that made us fat have been in our lives for years. We can't expect to be cured, overnight! Nor in a few weeks or months.

Take it easy and as someone said, take it one meal at a time. One pound at a time etc. Don't say okay I want to lose 5 pounds this week - and then get upset if you don't lose that much (most people don't after the first week or two). Don't jump on and off the scales because you are just giving them the power to decide whether you are about to have a good day or a miserable one - any reading you don't like can really throw you, even though you know it is probably just water.

Carbohydrate restriction offers the best solution I think to binge eating. Cambridge restricts carbs for good reason, because without ketosis nobody would be able to stick to the diet long enough to get such amazing results. That's not because we are weak, greedy, useless etc. It's because we have a problem with carbs! No more and no less. It's not a moral issue, that you are bad or wicked or not-trying-hard-enough. It's just carbohydrate addiction, and it can be arrested, one day at a time.

Good luck everyone and never give up x

Back