CDC help please regarding medical form

My BMI was 41 when starting and it was not a problem on CD

This is interesting. I was under the impression a few months ago that a body of people (sorry can't remember if it was NICE or not) ruled (if that's the right word) that no GP was allowed to stand in the way of a patient wishing to lose weight. And it went on to say that they should support the patient in their decision. Maybe I misunderstood. It was on the news months ago.

In December last year the new NICE guidance came out supporting the use of VLCD's and giving patients the right to choose their weightloss method. However, NICE guidance is enormous and not all GP's would necessarily have read that bit so the letter draws attention to the compliance by CD to Government legislation.

New Guidance from Head Office for all counsellors is on the way and this is currently being discussed at the CCCC. So it shouldn't be too long now.

If you want a copy of the letter just email and I will send one off to you.

Linda

In December last year the new NICE guidance came out supporting the use of VLCD's and giving patients the right to choose their weightloss method. However, NICE guidance is enormous and not all GP's would necessarily have read that bit so the letter draws attention to the compliance by CD to Government legislation.

New Guidance from Head Office for all counsellors is on the way and this is currently being discussed at the CCCC. So it shouldn't be too long now.

If you want a copy of the letter just email and I will send one off to you.

Linda

Yes that was the one. Thought that was the case. Thanks Linda, have also emailed you for a copy of the letter, although we seem to have understanding GPs here.

Hi all, i am the CDC from Dundee, Debby have emailed u the letter so u can take it to your doctor.

Thanks Linda for sending me it, not really had a problem with anyone else getting a signature, is a first for me.

Ohh and hia dangerous Debz who is completley bonkers.

Good luck and email or call me Debby to keep me updated.

Laura, CDC

As a nurse and having worked in a GP practice in the past I can tell you that the main reason many won't sign these forms is they are not being paid for it, any other form a GP signs for a patient if it's not part of the NHS (where they will be paid for each form they sign) they charge for, they get something like £75 per signature

They use the 'don't agree with the diet' argument as they won't admit to being greedy *******s and say 'not signing unless you pay'

sorry to be so blunt, hopefully this will change in the future as slimming referrals are being made by GP's on the NHS to tackle the growing obesity problem, but then again it will only be slimming organisations approved by NICE that the payments to GPs will be made through the NHS

Thanks you everyone for your advice help and support. xx
Thank you CD counsellor for sending Laura that letter, and Thank you Laura for sending it to me! :D
Hiya Debz, my docs must be the pits, Im seriously thinking of changing my practice now.
Rachelina, I had a feeling money was involved, when he looked at the form he said "Oh i think we charge for these forms" Then left the room with it to god knows where, then came back and said bad news we dont sign these anymore :confused:

So Im going back armed with this letter, fingers crossed :sigh:

Thanks again to you all xxx

great stuff, let us know how you get on, fingers crossed xx, can't believe any GP would stand in the way of helping someone to lose weight, it's ridiculous!!!

You would think GP's would be pleased people want to lose weight... less health problems and less trips to the Doctor when you are slim.. When I started out, my GP was Ace he even suggested I pop and see him with an update every 4 weeks......

To right the Gp is greedy , I was going to join LL in April , had meeting then i needed the form signed , he told me its out of his hands but its after hours at the Gps and would cost me 95 pounds . I had to say No . Really what are they doing to help people lose weight , what they are doing is putting a price on it .

To right the Gp is greedy , I was going to join LL in April , had meeting then i needed the form signed , he told me its out of his hands but its after hours at the Gps and would cost me 95 pounds . I had to say No . Really what are they doing to help people lose weight , what they are doing is putting a price on it .

The Doctors are all NHS, we all see the same type, (well I think we have been), and as they are all NHS and work for the same people, ie the goverment and us.... you would think there would be a little more consistency in the way they work... I think it is dreadful how they can bring there personal feelings into it......... The Cambridge Diet has been researched, tested etc etc etc, have they not seen all the papers relating to it...
Also Obese people who have surgery to help them lose weight take great risks, surely it would be better for the GP's to sign a form saying the information on it is correct than let there patient get bigger and then opt for surgery at a later date......
I watched a program the other day about a girl who had weight loss surgery and her weight loss was no fast than you would get with the Cambridge Diet...... so why put yourselve through it.

Ok thats my 10 pence worth for today.

I've got to get a form signed, my cdc said without the form she would 'advise' doing the 1200 and then she's advised you, if you decide to ss it's your choice, she's highlighted what she wants xx I've got to get my blood test results but by then I'll be under the limit anyway hee hee xx

LOL , ok thats my 10 pence worth today , lol that was funny .
I think some people have the op because they think thats will answer all their problems , and some people think they can't do 3 shakes or 4 shakes a day so they opped for the op . But for some it goes sadly wrong . But the nation has changed since the 70's Look at the footballers then back in the 70's to now , it was a different way of life , playing out no fast food and now its all them things , my son never goes out sits in playes games and loves his food hes 13 , i have to keep an eye on him , but he could do with losing say 21 pounds .

hi - dont normally post here but found this post extraordinary! i am in process of becoming a CDC and cant believe that in a society where obesity is a national problem that people who at least try to lose weight are not supported by their GPs. If this happens to one of my clients when I qualify, I would serioulsy consider raising this as a parliamentary question through my local MP (you can do this easily on-line). It really is absurd - and can only go on to cost the NHS a darn site more that the minute it takes a GP to read and sign a form.

Hi My Docs Signed No Prob .but Then We Often Have A Trainee Doc So I Made My Appointment With Him He Didnt Know What Vlcd Was So That Maybe Helped .i Didnt Lie And Asked Him To Write A Letter To Say I Was Fit And On No Meds That Would Stop Me Going On A Diet So All Was Good I Had To Go Back For The Letter After 2 Days This Would Be So He Could Check Things.he Also Insisted On Taking My Blood Pressure So Went Off To Find The Bigger Cuff Now Have To Go Back For Blood Pressure Checks Seems I Have Class 2 But Weight Loss Will Help To Keep Me Of Meds For Rest Of My Life So Less Cost For The Nhs Xx

Thank you ALL for your replies.
I sooo agree babymint, I just wish there was something I could do about it :(
Back to the docs monday to try again wish me luck failing that im changing my doctors :rolleyes:

Thought id update this for anyone who was interested...

Finally got the damn form signed by another GP in my practice last week!! I only had to threaten them with surgery on the NHS to get it plus pay £12.50. PLUS the doctors had to have a big meeting about it :eek: geez!

Well that it signed now, I do hope nobody else has the bother Ive had to get it signed. If you do, threaten them saying you will ask for surgery on the NHS that seemed to get their arses in gear ;)

Thanks to everyone who has replied and advised - your all wee gems :D

deb.xo

It is ridiculous that you had to pay to have your form signed!

All they are doing is signing to say that they know about your doing the diet, not giving their permission.

Glad you got it signed anyway

Good luck on your Cambridge journey

Glad you got it signed, bit of a mare about it costing you £12.50 but it's better than £50 or whatever.

Back