Celtic Tiger - A New Scales, A New Start!

CelticTiger

Here to help :-)
Greetings fellow Minis, Conor here hoping I've finally found my miracle cure! I have been on this site for over 12 months, and the people on here have been some of the kindest & honest folk I have had the privilage to get to know, and count among my friends. We all have a common purpose, to shed the weight, but more importantly to discover the triggers that cause us to overeat and settle for an unhealthy lifestyle.

Long story short, I have tried WW, SW, Exante and finally I have turned to S & S to save me from myself! My months supply just arrived, and its shocking to think that the contents of a 2kg box is enough to fuel this engine for the next 28 days. The biggest sarcrafice for me will be No Alcohol... I have a 2 week holiday booked from Aug 8th, and I want to be able to participate with my teenage sons, not sit like a beached whale by the pool. Even to loose a stone would make such a difference to me.

I have read many of your threads on here, and your successes have been inspirational. I also am aware that you ladies seem to be made of sterner stuff when it comes to adhering 100% to these strict regiemes, and you invariably have the successful weight loss figures as the result!

So here goes...the first day of the rest of my life!

Last edited:
Hi Conor - found your diary!

Have you started on the S&S stuff yet? What do your reckon? What have you bought?

The advantage I think S&S has over Cambridge is that it has MEALS such as the spaghetti Bol and Chilli which you cna have with steamed veg. It's so great to be able to EAT a meal and not have everything out of a glass or mug lol

Good luck - keep us posted

RD x

Thank you lovely ladies. Yes, I have all my ducks in a row for a fresh start on Monday morning (I have my brothers birthday party to-morrow, looking forward to it as we haven't had a lot to celebrate about lately!)

So no more procrastinating, Monday is D-Day. I am still reading threads on here to learn how you all have cleverly learned to live life on S & S. I am surprised that I haven't found any men on S & S, and I have read quiet a few threads??? Anyway, I'm nailing my colours to the mast. Roll on Monday!

RD - I put my money where my mouth is and got the 5 a day - men option for 28 days - Hopefully, 200 euro well spent!

Continued successes ladies and thanks for the warm welcome.

Best wishes,

Conor xx

Last edited:
Good luck for Monday, I think there was one or 2 men who did s&s with their wives.
Best diet I have ever been on!

Good luck for Monday, I think there was one or 2 men who did s&s with their wives.
Best diet I have ever been on!

Thanks BB,
Started to-day on schedule and have really enjoyed it so far. Delighted to hear it is such a success for you, very impressive results!

Conor

Good luck! I used to drink alcohol practically every day but now I only drink occasionally (I'm refeeding now) thus saving the calories as well as my liver. I've got used to not having it since I started this diet and I never thought I'd say that!

Well as we approach the end of Day 1, I am glad to report, I'm very happy so far. I am working from home to-day, so I could devote a certain amount of time to it. I started the day with Psyllium Husks. I had a cup of Bouillon around noon. I had taken almost 2 litres of water by mid afternoon when I had a black coffee and half a Maple, Fruits & Almond bar which was divine! That kept me going until 7.30pm when I steamed 200g of cauli, brocolli, garlic & mushrooms. I had the Spag Bol spread over the veggies and it hit the spot! I'll have my other half bar with a coffee later. Then a couple of more glasses of water before bedtime. I think I have found the type of diet that suits me at last.

I will build up to the normal 4/5 portions allowed for men, but to-day I am content with what I had.

Hope everyone else had a good day ;)

Regards,

Conor

Hello Tiger ;)
I'll be keeping an eye on your diary, I like the idea of having a meal so I hope you keep it regularly up to date. I can't wait to see your losses and see it work :D

good luck - sounds like your head's in the game - ive been down every diet road known to man and this is the first time ive ever felt like its been fairly wasy these first 2 weeks. s and s is so much better than anything ive tried before - hope we all have great success!!

xcx

Hi Claire,
Thanks for popping by. Yours was one of the threads that I read before starting S & S. I love that caustic Scottish wit. Looking forward to next March, Ireland v Scotland in Edinburgh. I'll have my hollow legs ready for that trip...:D

Best wishes,

Conor

Well here I sit just after nibbling my half bar and getting down a cup of black coffee. normally this time of night I'd have polished off maybe a half dozen cans of Guinness, so I guess that's an improvement. Must admit, I didn't miss it. I have a BBQ coming up next week-end, and it will be a killer without a few drinkies.

Anyway, one day at a time.

Good night all,

Conor

thank you! hope my thread was of some use! your hollow legs will be far skinnier by the time you make that trip!

thank you! hope my thread was of some use! your hollow legs will be far skinnier by the time you make that trip!

I hope so. Of all our rugby trips, the trips to Edinburgh are my favorite. Any time we visit Scotland, we always come away with a Good News story.

Thanks again,

Conor

Quick Update - Yesterday was another 100%. Even did Designated Driver for my brothers. It's been well over 12 months since just the three of us met for beers and to catch up. To my pride and not a little amazement, I managed to stay on the water all night, must have drank about 10 pints of the stuff!

However, to-day I was at a Compliance & Regulation Conference, and the only thing that was palatable to-day was the lunch, Lamb Madras... I declined the rice but had a few chips. Was jaded when I got home so I had some grilled bacon and coffee, plus a slice of soda bread that was just what I needed to sooth my frayed nerves. Still managed to stay off the booze for 72 hours now and counting.

Hopefully tomorrow will be 100%, back on track.

Hope things are going well for you all.

Good night,

Conor

Hi Conor sounds like you have your head back in the zone. Well done on the booze, or lack of it ;) You will make your boys proud and enjoy your hols xx

Well done on the no alcohol!
Good luck tomorrow you can so do this.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks Ali & BB,
Small steps breaking the bad habits of a lifetime. Not 100% to-day, but still booze-free. Doing well on the water & remaining dairy-free.

Hope other S & S'ers are doing good,

Regards,

Conor

Good luck Conor and remember men seem to lose the weight faster than the ladies can't weight for the update on weigh-in day x x

HI SM,
Yes, I have read that observation before, but sadly, this male seems to be bucking that trend. I have only seen very modest weight loss this week, especially as I am still tee-total. Previously, I would have enjoyed 7lb weight loss by just giving up the booze. Maybe, when I am fully in ketosis, I will see more significant drops.

This is Week 1 - but for me this has to be more than numbers on a scale. I need to change my relationship with food & drink. Case in point, I came home after playing 9 holes of golf with my son this evening. Previously, I would have enjoyed a couple of pints in the Club House, after which I would probably convince myself that I "earned" an Indian Take Away of more than 1,000 calories. To-night, I raided the meagre contents of my fridge (weekly shop on Saturday) and made a Chicken, Green Pepper, Green Chilli & Garlic 3 egg ommelette, washed down with a glass of water followed by a well earned glass of Coke Zero.

I've been driving by chippers, restaurants & bars, and I don't feel that I "have to" go in. Previously, I could easily justify it to myself. Last night I CRAVED Fried Chicken. I considered driving to Tesco & buying the 1Kg tray of Chicken & devouring it myself & the boys. What example would that have been for them???

So while I am not seeing the gushing pound drop others seem to be enjoying, I am very happy with the other achievements that I have accomplished in my first week of my battle of the bulge!

First tentative steps on a long road to health & fitness.

Best Wishes,

Conor x

Back