Step 1 Sole Source Change the thinking, start shrinking!

twainette

Hey there, minimin users, my name is Lou and this is my first time posting here.

I've just finished Day 8 of the Step SS on the Cambridge Weight Plan and it's getting tougher, so I thought a little place to download thoughts and feelings (plus keep fingers busy and out of cupboards!!) would be a good idea :eek:).

A little bit of background, I'm 38 years old and have just had my first daughter, she's now 14 months old and the most amazing creature ever (to me)!! P.S. I used to want to mock puke when other parents spoke like that about their children but now that I'm a parent - I totally get it!

Anyway, I'm here with about 4 3/4 stone to lose to get down into the Healthy BMI bracket with a bit of change to spare. I'm 5' 3'' with a start weight of 14st 4.2 so would love to be around 9 1/2 stone. I'd love to be able to wear my engagement and wedding rings again as well as my size 12 clothes!

Up until my mum died 5 years ago, I'd always been a size 12 and around 10 stone. The excess weight is wholly due to emotional eating and over-indulging to take care of myself after losing her. Whilst pregnant with my daughter, I was able eat better and lose weight safely at the beginning of my pregnancy so my overall weight gain was just 1lb! Once she was born, my bad habits returned quickly. I really need to change the way I think about food and get back down to a healthy weight for my family. I believe the Cambridge diet is the way to do this, by doing SS, I am removing food from the weight loss equation and really having to face my feelings, which is healthier in the long run,

My weigh in with my consultant is on a Thursday and my first weigh in was after just 4 days on the diet since I'd started on a Sunday. For that reason, I weighed myself at home on my real start day as well as measuring body fat (on my scales) and taking some measurements.

So, my first full week weigh-in at home showed a loss of 5.2lbs. I won't lie, I was pretty disappointed with that. Hearing about so many others having lost 7lbs upwards. It was TOTM however so my consultant expects a similar result next week (rather than the usual week 2 smaller amount). It's left me REALLY craving pizza tonight though, it's been a tough battle but I didn't give in thanks to the support of my husband! If he'd said yes to pizza, I'd be on the wrong size of a stuffed crust margherita and garlic bread right now, bloated and angry.

How funny is it that a loss (which is an amazing thing) can be spun round to be negative because "It's not enough"? If I hadn't started the CWP, I'd likely be 1lb heavier not 5 lighter!! So my aim, with each diary log and weigh-in is to see the positive even if the result isn't what I expected.

My positive thoughts so far:

• I've done 8 days on SS - more than I ever thought I could!
  • My stomach feels less bloated
  • My face looks a little slimmer
  • My husband is being so supportive

So, the title of my diary reflects that I have to change my thinking in this process, really face my demons and get this right, once and for all.

Good luck all, I look forward to hearing about all of your journeys too!

Lou xx

Am I doing this right? My second entry as reply to my first? - we will soon see…

Well despite a positive this morning of the reversal of the well known bathroom related side effect, I still veered off plan :eek: I had a little choclate bar - silly silly Lou. I know why too, I left it till 11AM to have my first shake so I couldn't fight the urge.

I am learning that actually, when I really feel ready to knaw my own arm off, I'm usually due a shake so I should be more mindful. I went into ketosis on Day 5 (no ketostix - I just assumed because my mouth tasted foul!) but that went away by Sunday - maybe because I'd had semi-skimmed milk because we ran out of skimmed?

Anyway, I'm determined to get back into it, so no more cheating! Hopefully it won't take as long this time because the stores are pretty miniscule to deplete. They've not been major cheats in the grand scheme of things so I'll go a little easy on myself. Am tempted to get ketostix - does anyone here use them?

I work from home but I'm definitely noticing being more productive at work (except whilst writing on here ;)) since there are less trips to the kitchen for food, I have to focus. If I need a break, I find I am doing little jobs instead eating so a tidier (not tiday by a long shot) house is another positive :))

TIFN

Lou xx

Welcome Lou and congratulations on your daughter:D

Losses in the first week range from as little as 2 lbs to 22 lbs...however, most settle down to a stone a month on average over the course of their journey.

Very sorry to hear your mum passed away (((HUGS))) I lost my mum 19 years ago and I still miss her...it's never easy when we lose someone we love...but time does help to ease the pain.

Your husband sounds like he is there for you and with his support you will do well.

Well done on getting to day 8:0clapper: CWP is tough but the results are amazing.

We are here for you, and if you need anything just shout:D

Quick update peeps! The sabotage on Monday continued :(, more chocolate, crisps etc. - I was unstoppable!

Why is that so easy to do? One little slip that could be ignored and you could get straight back on the horse. But no! Descend further by eating more rubbish.

I 'fessed up to hubby when he got home, he was supportive and reminded me why I was doing this. I also texted my consultant who had encouraging words too. I felt better so was on plan yesterday, not sure how long it will take me to get back into ketosis, hopefully not long.

I see my consultant tomorrow so am looking forward to getting bars and meals from her. I think that will make a difference since I need to chew! I haven't liked any soups or porridges so getting my teeth round a bar and chewing sounds amazing! I'm also getting a meal so I can sit down with the family to eat the roast I will cook on Father's Day.

What would you all recommend? I'm thinking of trying the Spag Bol? It's weird to say that since I'm veggie but they're meat free…woohoo!!

Hope you're all doing well!

Lou x

Welcome Lou and congratulations on your daughter:D

Losses in the first week range from as little as 2 lbs to 22 lbs...however, most settle down to a stone a month on average over the course of their journey.

Very sorry to hear your mum passed away (((HUGS))) I lost my mum 19 years ago and I still miss her...it's never easy when we lose someone we love...but time does help to ease the pain.

Your husband sounds like he is there for you and with his support you will do well.

Well done on getting to day 8:0clapper: CWP is tough but the results are amazing.

We are here for you, and if you need anything just shout:D

Thanks Mini! - it's lovely to get a response :) I've taken heart from the 1 stone per month, still much better odds than other diets!

So sorry to hear about your mum too, it's so hard, like a piece of you is missing? I'm just hoping to do her proud with my hard work…

Have a great week!

xx

All the best with your Cambridge journey. I often think I'm hungry when in reality I am exhausted and my body thinks it wants food, when in reality it just wants sleep! Drinking more water can take the edge off a craving, too xxx hope your meeting with your consultant goes well tomorrow xx

Hi guys! (I'm new to this so don't know if I'm posting in the right place haha)
So sorry to hear about your losses! :( Likewise I've piled on the weight since loosing someone special to me as well as being at uni and am finally determined to loose this weight! Hopefully 3 1/2 stone in total in the quickest time possible, I need to see results to want to continue aha xx

Hi Lou, hope things are going well and you're back on track...?
I'm heading into week 12 of sole source today and have shifted 39lbs. So close to my three stone! This diet is hardcore but it really does deliver. You do need to try and avoid cheating though. Ketosis is key, because that keeps your appetite and cravings quiet. It is difficult no question but if you think of it as a short term thing - especially for you as you could be close to goal in one 12 week stretch if you kept it 100% - then it seems easier somehow. I have surprised myself with the determination and willpower I've found.
And as you've found, giving in to the cravings just makes you miserable. The briefest enjoyment from eating the naughty things is totally eclipsed by your guilt and disappointment. It also sounds like you have a supportive husband too and that helps. Mine is great too - he didn't even complain too much when instead of our typical birthday meal out, he and the boys had to make do with a takeaway while I snivelled over a CWP tikka rice. He does sometimes get frustrated and says things like "so when are you actually going to eat some food then?"
On the subject of which, you should definitely try some of the meals. I love the spag bol, it's really delicious, plus the novelty of something warm that you can chew is brilliant!
Hope you're finding it a little bit easier anyway :)

All the best with your Cambridge journey. I often think I'm hungry when in reality I am exhausted and my body thinks it wants food, when in reality it just wants sleep! Drinking more water can take the edge off a craving, too xxx hope your meeting with your consultant goes well tomorrow xx

Thanks Wiggly, I'm usually pretty good with water but you're absolutely right, when I've felt tempted, it's usually been I've been too distracted at work. When I finally stop for a break, my first thought is foodnot water! I guess that's part of the re-training isn't it?. There ahve also been a lot of early nights, it really helps! :)

Hi guys! (I'm new to this so don't know if I'm posting in the right place haha)
So sorry to hear about your losses! :( Likewise I've piled on the weight since loosing someone special to me as well as being at uni and am finally determined to loose this weight! Hopefully 3 1/2 stone in total in the quickest time possible, I need to see results to want to continue aha xx
Hey there Lauren, thanks for your comment. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :(. I do think it must be true to an extent that we fill the void of the person gone with food. Eat to distract us from the grief maybe?

I'm sure you'll be successful and that the results will motivate you. From what I remember about Uni (and it was more years ago than I care to remember :eek:) I'd lose weight when I got home every summer due to the structure of a summer job (and less partying lol!). With the summer ahead, hopefully that will help you too… xx

Hi Lou, hope things are going well and you're back on track...?
I'm heading into week 12 of sole source today and have shifted 39lbs. So close to my three stone! This diet is hardcore but it really does deliver. You do need to try and avoid cheating though. Ketosis is key, because that keeps your appetite and cravings quiet. It is difficult no question but if you think of it as a short term thing - especially for you as you could be close to goal in one 12 week stretch if you kept it 100% - then it seems easier somehow. I have surprised myself with the determination and willpower I've found.
And as you've found, giving in to the cravings just makes you miserable. The briefest enjoyment from eating the naughty things is totally eclipsed by your guilt and disappointment. It also sounds like you have a supportive husband too and that helps. Mine is great too - he didn't even complain too much when instead of our typical birthday meal out, he and the boys had to make do with a takeaway while I snivelled over a CWP tikka rice. He does sometimes get frustrated and says things like "so when are you actually going to eat some food then?"
On the subject of which, you should definitely try some of the meals. I love the spag bol, it's really delicious, plus the novelty of something warm that you can chew is brilliant!
Hope you're finding it a little bit easier anyway :)
Thanks Grover for sharing your story. :) Congrats on an amazing loss! You must feel so good!! Your hubby sounds great too!

You're so right, I cheated on Monday but luckily think I went into ketosis last night, such a bad headache despite drinking 5 litres of water. It has been a little easier today so hopefully it'll be plain sailing from here. There is a hen do and 5th wedding anniversary to contend with in my first 12 weeks but I'll control 100% what I can and try not to sweat about the rest!

I'm glad you mentioned about the meals, I picked up a spag bol today to have on Sunday for Father's Day. I'm cooking a roast for hubster and his Dad and really wanted to eat. Since my daughter is eating, I really want her sat at the table with us and seeing us ALL eat to encourage her. It's great to have this option on SS. Just got to avoid the roasties!!

Will you go back on SS after the mandatory break?

Lou xx

Hello mini peeps! How are you all?

So I saw my conusltant today and was able to stock up on the bars and meals for the first time since starting. This is because my consultant doesn't think we should have them for the first 2 weeks. I got malt toffee, mint choc and lemon. Man, was it lovely to chew something today. She suggested cutting it into little squares and eating one at a time. This was sound advice since they are quite dense and I did pick at them slowly. A mars bar that size could have been gone in 3 bites (nom nom!). Another great tip she had was doing this with a few bars for the cinema so you feel like you have pick n mix…genius (as long as you put it in one bar in total, of course ;)). Gives me an idea what to suggest to do with hubby on date night in a couple of weeks to avoid dinner!

Re: weigh-in, as you may have seen from earlier posts, my true week to week weigh-in is at home on my scales since I started on a Sunday. I weigh Thursdays with the consultant so this was a day 12 weigh-in and it's been 8 1/2 lbs off since the start. Was really pleased with that, it gives me hope that by Sunday I could be at 10lbs off, I've got my fingers crossed for that!!

Right, I'm off to make a secret Pinterest board and pin up motivating weight loss stories to look at when I'm tempted :)

Take care all

Lou x

p.s. my positive for today is that with all this water, my skin is really starting to feel very soft :D

Thanks Grover for sharing your story. :) Congrats on an amazing loss! You must feel so good!! Your hubby sounds great too!

You're so right, I cheated on Monday but luckily think I went into ketosis last night, such a bad headache despite drinking 5 litres of water. It has been a little easier today so hopefully it'll be plain sailing from here. There is a hen do and 5th wedding anniversary to contend with in my first 12 weeks but I'll control 100% what I can and try not to sweat about the rest!

I'm glad you mentioned about the meals, I picked up a spag bol today to have on Sunday for Father's Day. I'm cooking a roast for hubster and his Dad and really wanted to eat. Since my daughter is eating, I really want her sat at the table with us and seeing us ALL eat to encourage her. It's great to have this option on SS. Just got to avoid the roasties!!

Will you go back on SS after the mandatory break?

Lou xx

Hope you enjoy the meals, they make me feel much more "normal". The first time I had spag bol it was so delicious it made me cry. No joke. Think it was probably because I'd had three days of liquid only though!
As regards stepping back down, the truth is, I have no idea. I've had a really weird pattern of losses where it's 5lb one week, 1 the next, even had a gain in there (just water retention though) and this happens in spite if the fact that I do exactly the same every week. My consultant admits to being baffled. She suggested we wait and see what happens this week. If I get a good loss she is suggesting that I stay on step 2, if not I guess I go back to Sole source.
It's been a real roller coaster. In a lot of ways, even though the 5 lb weeks are fantastic, it'd actually be easier to just have a steady 3lb a week, at least I wouldn't feel so nervous on weigh in day! I'm trying hard not to obsess about the week to week loss and focus on the bigger picture. Doesn't make it easier to stay strong after a rubbish week though.
Well done on the new loss. Fingers crossed for 10 by Sunday! Xx

A really quick check-in peeps, it's been a busy busy weekend… Hope that you've all had a lovely Father's Day :)

Had my second weigh-in, as you know, I weigh in officially at home on Sundays. Very pleased with the result, another 4.4lbs off :p. That makes 9.6lbs off in total. It means that to lose my first stone, I only need to lose another 4.4lbs over the next 2 weeks…I really hope that's doable!

I won't lie, I have cheated today with Father's Day, my consultant and I had planned for me to have a Cambridge meal with the allowed veggies. I did cheat however and indulge though with potatoes and dessert :eek:. Mmmm…roasties! I know it's not ideal but it was nice to reward my hard work and know that I've got a week to burn off that extra. I know if the result is unsatisfactory next Sunday that any cheating will affect my losses and it'll teach me a lesson! It was nice to eat properly though…

I'm pretty confident that I'll get back into the swing of shakes only in the week since I have a busy week ahead with work etc. Although I'm not planning on doing any hardcore exercise, I am thinking of squeezing in a little toning from this week onwards, maybe 10 mins here and there of Pilates or Tracy Anderson. Just to start toning my core but wthout breaking a real sweat or raising my heart rate. I may even just try to do a couple of planks a day :). Does anyone else do any toning?

Was anyone else tempted by wonderful Fathers Day meals and were you all stronger than me and refrained from cheating? Good on you if you did!

Here's saying goodbye to a wonderful weekend and gearing myself up to drink plenty of water and maybe even hit a stone in 3 weeks!?! That would be amazing :), fingers crossed...

Take care all

Lou x

Back