Changing weight loss to percentage loss

bilsat

Really likes to cook
Does anyone agree that if SW changed the plan to work on a percentage loss each week instead of the weight loss it would be fairer for all?
It is done for your Club 10 so why not for the weekly losses, if someone who weighs in at 20 stone looses 7lbs in a week=1/40th of their weight but if someone who is 12 stone and looses 5lbs in a week=1/33.6th of their weight but the 20 stone person will be in line to become slimmer of the week if they loose again the week after, but the percentage amount lost will be less! Someone who only has a couple of stone to loose may miss out on any weekly awards......
What's your opinion?

I don't go to group so SoW/SoM doesn't have any impact on my life but I definitely agree that percentage would be a lot fairer. Realistically, and don't lynch me for this...it's easier to lose more when you have more to lose. I reckon it would also help people to stop being so down about 'only losing a pound/half a pound' if they were given a percentage total of their loss to date, granted I don't know how SW classes work and what the time constraints etc would be like with this but just my tuppence worth .

Do you mean for getting awards?
I'm not sure about the whole thing of awarding for the amount lost especially when we are told
we sould be happy with losing small amounts yet people get clapped for losing the most and having lost a lot in a short amount of time etc
Sometimes people lose yet say they have had lots of non sw foods and then others work really hard and don't lose, some people have really difficult stuff going on in their life and still manage to stick to some meals sw etc which can be a big achievement in itself.
Yes it can be nice to get the awards but I think really if we could not compare ourselves to others and be aware of our own achievements (like on the nsv thread on here) it could be more rewarding.

I have lost 25lb in 12 wks but not got slimer of the week once I have a total of 3.5-4st to loose my friend has twice that and got it once .. We have men in our group who tend to always get it but they work very hard gym etc to get their losses .. Yes on a percentage I may be more likely to get it .. But if its me or the men who are down the gym etc then they deserve it if it was me or a person who drank ten pints n had 3 takeaways then did the Cambridge for 3 days I'd be pretty gutted

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I guess reading out ... Lost 2% this week .. Lost 4% this week gives a better idea but looking round the room u know how we'll u have done and how u have changed and although we all encourage each other n competition can b healthy the most important thing is when u stepped on those scales were u happy before comparing to everyone else's losses

yep i agree at the start i was getting 3 awards per month for weightloss but i even said in group it should be a %. but its a head office thing apparently! :) x

% would be better from every aspect i think but should it be percentage of your body weight or percentage of the ammount of weight you want to lose?

i thought my first week there. I accept the weight is how it's done but I definitely think percentage would be fairer...especially for those at a lower weight and just can manage high losses like someone at a really high weight like 22st who might lose 5lbs+ each week!

I can see why this would be unfair. But being one of the really high weighers you were talking about, from a personal perspective, I have such a long journey (12stone), it's getting certificates like SoW, 10%, half stone awards that helps you really feel like you are doing well. I'm not saying its not as hard for people that are smaller, and I wouldn't mind if it changed to %. But the competitive nature in me makes me try and win it lol

I can see why this would be unfair. But being one of the really high weighers you were talking about, from a personal perspective, I have such a long journey (12stone), it's getting certificates like SoW, 10%, half stone awards that helps you really feel like you are doing well. I'm not saying its not as hard for people that are smaller, and I wouldn't mind if it changed to %. But the competitive nature in me makes me try and win it lol

Actually thats very true. I think its hard however much you have to lose but when I started it was breaking it down into the milestones etc and having things to celebrate that kept me going as it seemed so long to go.

I've never had a massive amount to lose (though the amount has crept up over the years). Because of this I'll never have huge weekly losses but am more than happy to let someone with loads to lose get the SOtW as they have such a long journey. Awards dont bother me - I'd just like to eventually get to goal.

I think that the SoW should be done on %, but obviously still have the 1/2 stone, stone awards etc. Those people with less to loose still need the encouragement and work just as hard for their losses. It would be more like the biggest loser - which I find very motivating!

Having said that I do agree with Jeanette that its getting to goal that is the biggest thing for me.

I wonder if anyone has taken this up with slimming world a % loss of body weight would be much fairer and sometimes it should be someone who supports everyone else and stays to group every week contributes a lot to image therapy and is having a hard time liising and may have been only liising 0.5/1lv a week but is still going and trying hard to get to target .. Rather than the one who's had 3 takeaways and lost 4lb

I've often thought that it would be fairer to use percentages, I've been going to classes for a year and have never been slimmer of the week, I guess because I'm seen as one of those that doesn't have as much to lose (although it certainly doesn't feel like that!). I think that everyone works just as hard whether you have 2 stone to lose or 10 stone! But like others have said, I don't personally get motivated by the awards (probably because I know I'll never get them!) but am more focused on just getting to my target weight.

Chloeoo said:
I join a week ago and that was something that I thought was u fair. I'd like to get slimmer of the week even just once!

Make sure you go to class during the big holidays as I got slimmer of the week twice during the summer only because all the usual big losers either didn't stay to IT or didn't go to group. I know I won't get it again as everyone is back to normal and the 4,5 and 6lb losers are back :-(

Back