charged for missed week due to hospital oppointment

thelandlady

Hiya, I have recently fallen out with my SW CLASS, I had to going in Hospital overnight and i missed my class, i had notified the lady who runs our class the week before, as i had no holidays left to take i got charged double and i was not a happy bunny. I am going in hospital in 2 weeks for a big hip operation so when i am mobile again in about 6-8 weeks i will join another slimming world class.sorry about the moaning but i m cheesed off.

Sorry you were ill but I'm afraid that's SW policy. You get so many weeks holiday to use and after that you have to pay if you miss a class. irrespective of the reason for it. If I remember rightly it's even worse if you have a countdown. You have to book your weeks off in advance at the time you buy it - and who can predict in advance that they are going to be ill! Hope you are keeping better now though.

Edited my post after reading the other comments!

If they can over-ride missed classes then they should have done this and not charged you, I would bring it up at the next class, I wouldn't be happy at all

Last edited:
Sorry you were ill but I'm afraid that's SW policy. You get so many weeks holiday to use and after that you have to pay if you miss a class. irrespective of the reason for it.

When it comes up you need to pay for 2 weeks on the computer, it can be overwritten even if you don't have any holiday left, for reasons such as "bad weather" and, notably, "hospitalisation."

Aah I see - I left the class before the computer system came in. That sounds more fair. So why did the OP's consultant not do that?

return

hiya everyone, I am going to have my metal hip taken out cos they want it back cos its a faulty one and they have been recalled, so i will be missing from slimming world for a few months but when i go back it will be to a different class. thanks again for your replies.

It sounds a bit harsh, i agree i would send her a wee email saying why you won't be back. I do understand why they have to charge for missed weeks, as it is a business after all, however you were in hospital!!!!

Could it be possible that the consultant doesn't know what happened at the pay? By rights, as you'd informed her, it would have been easier all round if she'd added a note to the pay system, to flash up for the member of the social team, OKing them to use the 'hospitalisation/sickness' over ride. BUt I'm just wondering if she really hasn't clicked that you've been charged. Might be nice to drop her a wee text to let her know, incase it has been a simple break down in communications?
Wishing you a speedy recovery x

Hiya,The lady who takes the money said the week before that she would over ride it, but on my return the sw leader stood and watched her so that she could over ride it, i told the class leader i thought it was well out of order being charged while in hospital but she just said its the slimming world way. There was a few ladies there at the time and theyy were disgusted my her manner. when i am mobile again i am rejoining a different class with others from the original class. I did complain to slimming world but never got a reply.

what a shame that she had 2 act like that, never mind at least you have stood your ground and will be joining another group, and you werent alone in thinking she wasnt great!! xxxx

thelandlady said:
hiya everyone, I am going to have my metal hip taken out cos they want it back cos its a faulty one and they have been recalled, so i will be missing from slimming world for a few months but when i go back it will be to a different class. thanks again for your replies.

Silly question - i take it they are replacing the faulty one not just removing!!

Glad you stuck to your guns - i'd chase SW Head office for a reply as well.

Silly question - i take it they are replacing the faulty one not just removing!!

Glad you stuck to your guns - i'd chase SW Head office for a reply as well.

i totally agree - take it up with head office - i would certainly not go back to her group. in the winter we had terrible snow i live in a rural village with a large bank on either side i could not get out of the village for 10 days and i was charged for one of the weeks i missed but not the other i was well peed off - i told her i was taking custom else where - after all there is over 10 different consultants all within a 10 mile radius - the class i go to now is much better :)

mummymoo said:
i highly doubt sw will reply as your consultant was only following sw rules. hospitalisation overide has LOADS of condotions attached to it

Just out of interest what conditions? Would seem fairly simple to me. If you are in hospital, them they should put it down as hospitalisation override!

Just out of interest what conditions? Would seem fairly simple to me. If you are in hospital, them they should put it down as hospitalisation override!

It may seem simple but slimming world give you 6 weeks holidays for holidays/illness as set out in the terms and conditions which everyone (and a lot without reading first) sign to say they agree to. Pre planned hospital visits are included in this. If you were to be admitted suddenly then you would be able to overide with hospitalisation.

Most consultants follow the rules on these things which can seem unfair but its their business so they have to as if they didnt SW would be investigating them to find out why they weren't so if you are unhappy with how things are run at your group contact them but as I have said in numerous posts they won't reply unless the consultant is doing something wrong which isn't in the HUGE manual that they are given and that is very unlikely in a lot of cases. Some consultants are a lot more lenient which then makes it worse if you have one that sticks to the rules

Last edited:
mummymoo said:
It may seem simple but slimming world give you 6 weeks holidays for holidays/illness as set out in the terms and conditions which everyone (and a lot without reading first) sign to say they agree to. Pre planned hospital visits are included in this. If you were to be admitted suddenly then you would be able to overide with hospitalisation.

So if she had phoned on the day saying she was unexpectedly hospitalised rather than telling her consultant a week before she would not be charged?

Back