Charleybarley tries again - Jan 2013

Chloe_Fisher_:) said:
I find a food diary really helps, gives you that extra bit of motivation! Do you go to classes? Iv been on SW 8 weeks now and iv lost 8lb-its coming off but its coming off so slowly and i dont know why! Im getting quite fed up about how slow it actually is coming off to be honest, but Im going to stick with it because I feel much better about myself already
X

A food diary is a really good thing to do, I personally find nosing into other peoples diaries very helpful, stealing ideas and recipes. Before minimins I was so uninspired by SW food and would often spend ages in the kitchen following their recipes to a T and then being utterly disappointed with the outcome. There are some wonderful and creative people on this site who come up with fantastic recipe adaptations which I love trying - my fav at the moment is Spaghetti Carbonara. It's amazing.

Chloe - 8lbs in 8 weeks is amazing! Looking at your stats you don't have masses and masses to lose so it won't come off in massive clumps like other people, I understand you want it all to come off a lot quicker, so do I, but it's not a short term fix, SW isn't for that it's to change the way you eat for life. Rome wasn't built in a day, your weight didn't creep up overnight so it certainly won't disappear that quickly. For example i have a lot more to lose than you so by rights I should lose it quicker right? No. I have stuck to the plan all week, been running 3 times this week and done various other exercises - I only lost 2lbs this week. I am a bit disappointed cos I worked hard and sacrificed while I watched others eat and drink around me mindlessly while I was seething inside because I couldn't join in - that was worth more than 2lbs off people!!! But thinking rationally, it's off and a loss is a loss.

Be patient Hun, it will come off *said as much to myself as well as you!*

Xx

HPSaucy said:
Ha ha no chance lol! It's called "Couch to 5 k" hence C25K, downloaded it to my phone, similar to what you're doing at the moment, start small and build up, found the app really motivating and you can listen to your own music at the same time if you like, I think the one I did was by Get Running.

Unfortunately after just finishing my first 5K I fell over at work and hurt my hip/back, was advised to stop running, in fact I haven't really done any exercise since last September until this week when I've done step on the wii, a few miles walk and swimming! X

OH!!!! I am such a dur brain sometimes and the funny thing is I have that app on my phone too! I never tried it mind. Sorry to hear about your injury HP that must have sucked. All that time not being able to do much. Still well done for getting back into it this week. Go easy though won't you? Swimming is a fantastic way to tone up and also a gentle reintroduction back to exercise.

Good luck lady! X

Thursday 21st June

Well I lose 2lbs this week, good but no cigar in my view - I worked hard, must work harder. I have 8lbs to lose in three weeks - that's over 2.5lbs a week for the next three weeks - I know myself and I know that my body is not that good to me, for some reason my body loves holding onto my fat - so much that it just won't let go. So I feel I need to write a letter to my body:

Dear My Body,
We have been through some fun times, and we have been through some tough times, mostly its been good - takeaways, carbs, saturated fats - there were so many good times, nights in with Papa John's Pizzas, Indians which include 5 poppadums plus a starter, plus a main, plus a naan - sometimes we made it and sometimes we had to leave it until the next day, big bowls of crisps with several packets all mixed in with huge baguettes stuffed with all sorts of filling.
But all good things come to an end and earlier this year we had to say goodbye to it all, I know how much you enjoyed our old life but our new life means we get to live longer, breathe easier, sweat less, fit into better clothes - I know you are fighting me on this and its nothing personal, I am not trying to hurt and upset you - its not you, its me - I want this new life and I want you to want it too. I love you body, but you often leave me feeling ashamed at the way you look. I feel great, feel fit - and then I look at you naked and I feel sad again - I am asking you, begging you to do this with me, let go of the old days and embrace the new day. I know I put you through your paces with this running thing, but you will learn to love it, just like we loved those complex carbs.

Please think about it and show me you love me!

Love My Mind.

So food for thought:

B - 2 LMc Sausages in bread (HEB) with onion marmie.

L - Stagg Veg Chilli (1.5) on Jacket Potato.

D - Pizza made with Warbutons Square Wrap (8) with tom puree, cheese (HEA) chorizo (2.5) sausage (.5) bacon, peppers, onion and mushroom, chips and salad

SYN BALANCE: 105
SYNS TODAY: 12.5
SYNS REMAINING: 92.5

What a brilliant post Charley, perhaps the exercise has played a bit of a part in the (disappointing for you) loss. I have heard a lot of people say they have a small loss or even a sts when they first start exercising. I'm sure I read somewhere that when you are not used to exercise it can make you hold on to water more as your body is trying to quickly repair the muscles that haven't been stretched for a while. Don't quote me on that, I could have made it up!
Anyway keep at it, I'm sure your body will catch up soon and start playing along when it knows how serious you are and you will have lots of good times together with the new healthy recipes you have been making. Plus 2lb a week soon accumulates to be a big loss x

Hey Red! Good to hear from you!

I too was afraid to go out and look like a total pudding on legs and worried that White van men would shout things out their windows at me. Fortunately my Sis in law, who is a fitness instructor, found out I wanted to start running and is training me. We go out on wednesday and sunday mornings, early, like 6:30am. We go round a park which is really quiet and there aren't many people about. I also went on my own on Friday and plan to go again, but it will be a long way off before I 'go public' and run in the street. Her method of building up my running is jog for 1 1/2 mins, walk for 1 1/2 mins and build it up from there. It's really slow going and I get frustrated that i can't just start running and keep running non stop, but hopefully that will come.
Good luck Red and keep fighting the good fight!

Xx
Oh Charlie I so wish I had your courage! and your sis in law!!! That sounds a great training plan I am trying to think where I could jog where no one would see me!! Its awful but now Megan has her leg in cast, that's a complete standstill to our family walks (pee'd off I can tell you!)

Thursday 21st June

Well I lose 2lbs this week, good but no cigar in my view - I worked hard, must work harder. I have 8lbs to lose in three weeks - that's over 2.5lbs a week for the next three weeks - I know myself and I know that my body is not that good to me, for some reason my body loves holding onto my fat - so much that it just won't let go. So I feel I need to write a letter to my body:

Dear My Body,
We have been through some fun times, and we have been through some tough times, mostly its been good - takeaways, carbs, saturated fats - there were so many good times, nights in with Papa John's Pizzas, Indians which include 5 poppadums plus a starter, plus a main, plus a naan - sometimes we made it and sometimes we had to leave it until the next day, big bowls of crisps with several packets all mixed in with huge baguettes stuffed with all sorts of filling.
But all good things come to an end and earlier this year we had to say goodbye to it all, I know how much you enjoyed our old life but our new life means we get to live longer, breathe easier, sweat less, fit into better clothes - I know you are fighting me on this and its nothing personal, I am not trying to hurt and upset you - its not you, its me - I want this new life and I want you to want it too. I love you body, but you often leave me feeling ashamed at the way you look. I feel great, feel fit - and then I look at you naked and I feel sad again - I am asking you, begging you to do this with me, let go of the old days and embrace the new day. I know I put you through your paces with this running thing, but you will learn to love it, just like we loved those complex carbs.

Please think about it and show me you love me!
Love My Mind.

CHARLEY THAT'S AMAZING!!! ANOTHER 2LBS!!! THAT'S 6LB IN TWO WEEKS ISN'T IT MEANING THAT YOUR 2.5LB IS ACHIEVEABLE

Love your letter, can I steal it for my diary please?

So food for thought:

B - 2 LMc Sausages in bread (HEB) with onion marmie.

L - Stagg Veg Chilli (1.5) on Jacket Potato.

D - Pizza made with Warbutons Square Wrap (8) with tom puree, cheese (HEA) chorizo (2.5) sausage (.5) bacon, peppers, onion and mushroom, chips and salad

SYN BALANCE: 105
SYNS TODAY: 12.5
SYNS REMAINING: 92.5
Oh this menu sounds so bloody good!!! We are having roast chicken today and I cannot wait...in fact I am going to start peeling spuds x

What a brilliant post Charley, perhaps the exercise has played a bit of a part in the (disappointing for you) loss. I have heard a lot of people say they have a small loss or even a sts when they first start exercising. I'm sure I read somewhere that when you are not used to exercise it can make you hold on to water more as your body is trying to quickly repair the muscles that haven't been stretched for a while. Don't quote me on that, I could have made it up!
Anyway keep at it, I'm sure your body will catch up soon and start playing along when it knows how serious you are and you will have lots of good times together with the new healthy recipes you have been making. Plus 2lb a week soon accumulates to be a big loss x

Thanks Vickie - I never knew that about your body holding onto water more - even if you did make it up - I am going with it!!!!

Oh Charlie I so wish I had your courage! and your sis in law!!! That sounds a great training plan I am trying to think where I could jog where no one would see me!! Its awful but now Megan has her leg in cast, that's a complete standstill to our family walks (pee'd off I can tell you!)

What happened to Megan Donna? Poor little thing. Yes my sis in law is a real task master, you should have seen me on saturday, I felt like Giant Haystacks! It's not just running, she makes me do all sort of weird stuff, its all good fun though and great exercise

CHARLEY THAT'S AMAZING!!! ANOTHER 2LBS!!! THAT'S 6LB IN TWO WEEKS ISN'T IT MEANING THAT YOUR 2.5LB IS ACHIEVEABLE

Love your letter, can I steal it for my diary please?

Of course you can, I think a lot of people on here could relate to that letter, it was meant to be funny and witty, but really, reading it back, its quite sad too.

Oh this menu sounds so bloody good!!! We are having roast chicken today and I cannot wait...in fact I am going to start peeling spuds x

Ooh I love me a good roast dinner, I saw the pics of it on your diary, it looks amazing!

FRIDAY, SATURDAY and SUNDAY

OH DEAR I HAVE BEEN A NAUGHTY GIRL!

It is probably best that I don't recall the food and drink that I consumed, it wasn't like me of old, it was more me eating as I pleased and enjoying my weekend, which I did.

The only thing good was the boot camp/jogging session with my sis in law on Saturday morning, which was really good - the jogging is slowly becoming easier. She had me doing all sorts of things though - One thing, she put a skipping rope around my waist and pulled it behind me and made me walk and jog while she was holding onto the ends, I thought I was on "Its a Knockout" or something like that, I was half expecting her to bring out the yellow pages for me to rip in half!!!!

Also, I am staying at my parents house this week and my phone reception is shockingly bad, so I haven't been able to get on minimins at all since last Thursday. Donna, you are right in what you say, its so much harder when you don't have access to this forum! I will not be surprised by a STS or gain this week, which would be such a shame because I fought really hard for that 6lbs in a fortnight. Ho hum I guess I can kiss that 8lbs in three weeks goodbye....:wave_cry:

So back to the drawing board for this week.

Last edited:
Monday 25th June

B - Peanut Hifi bar (HEB) man these things are gooooooood, banana, pear, peach

L - Pasta N Sauce (1) and seafood stick salad (1) for mayo
D - BBQ, Mexican Rice (2.5) and salad

Syns for today: 4.5 (I am going to keep it real low this week)
Exercise - Jogging (later, not sure how much I will do)

Last edited:
I didn't think your letter was sad, I thought it was perfect, funny, honest and in parts brutal, I really do think you should think about creative writing courses

Meg fell at school trying to do "breakdance splits" at dance group a couple of weeks ago - she is now home for next 3 weeks - not sure how I am going to handle it, she is so fed up already!!!

I so wish I could join you and your sis in law - she will have you tied up in knots running around the park on your hands by the end of July - you will have one fit bikini bod!!!

Stop being pessimistic come on where's the upbeat Charley gone - sts is fine a small gain is fine - can you squeeze a few exercise sessions or walks in? Get on the superfree!

Is your Mum supportive of your diet or a saboteur???

Have fun with your parents - are you on annual leave? if so, check our the local library and block book a computer lol!

I didn't think your letter was sad, I thought it was perfect, funny, honest and in parts brutal, I really do think you should think about creative writing courses

Meg fell at school trying to do "breakdance splits" at dance group a couple of weeks ago - she is now home for next 3 weeks - not sure how I am going to handle it, she is so fed up already!!!

I so wish I could join you and your sis in law - she will have you tied up in knots running around the park on your hands by the end of July - you will have one fit bikini bod!!!

Stop being pessimistic come on where's the upbeat Charley gone - sts is fine a small gain is fine - can you squeeze a few exercise sessions or walks in? Get on the superfree!

Is your Mum supportive of your diet or a saboteur???

Have fun with your parents - are you on annual leave? if so, check our the local library and block book a computer lol!

Oh I am glad you liked the letter - its intent was purely for amusement sake, mainly my own. But yes, it was pretty honest, I could have been more honest mind!!!

Breakdance splits! Blimey! Poor little thing though, I can't imagine how she must have landed to incur a leg in plaster, its sickening just thinking of it, mind you I am a wuss when it comes to broken bones and things. I hope she makes a full recovery.

No, mum and dad are away and we are housesitting, they have a massive garden that is quite high maintenance and also they hate leaving it unoccupied as they got burgled a few years ago while they were on holiday. I just think its cos it is like a mini holiday for Mick and I, we live in a one bedroomed flat so no garden and no space - I am treating it like a holiday (although I am at work three days this week, hence me being able to type this up!) - we have been sitting out and drinking wine and nibbles and for some inexplicable reason last night I "treated" us to some ready made Southern Fried Chicken, rather than picking up a whole chicken. We had it with leftover small potatoes which I fried up and salad, with homemade coleslaw made with full fat mayo (cos thats all that was in mum's fridge!...there was a bit of light mayo left but i didn't want to use it up!). I am going to have a run tonight after work - but only up M&Ds garden (its 250 foot) so I will do a few laps of that. We are having a BBQ tonight, I am doing Chicken and Fish, Mick will have Burgers and Sausages.

Sounds like you have had a fab weekend lovely but step away from the full fat mayo!! :p
How did the BBQ go?

I know I know - I know I have said this before, but re. the full fat mayo, I wished I could have said "I am so used to the light mayo that the full fat mayo tastes disgusting to me" however, it was delish and I don't even feel guilty! The coleslaw has now gone and any future coleslaw will be made with a low fat version - that is a promise. I was dead against the Extra Light Stuff as it used to smelly really eggy, but I bought a jar of lighter than light stuff yesterday and at 10cal per tbsp, it aint that bad! I am now a convert. I am going to be swapping my 2.5 syn per tbps stuff for 0.5 syn stuff!

My bbq was a roaring success. It was my bro and his family and my sis and Mick's bro and his family - the first time they had all met (well my bro and sis knew one another....!) Everyone got on really well, the children played nicely and the food was amazing - Mick did a great job at the helm of the BBQ I did a great job running around and making sure all was well = and I ate and drank loads!

How is your week going Vickie?

x

Tuesday 26th June

B - Porridge (HEB+HEA) with strawbs and rasps and splenda

L - Chicken Quarter (skin off) with salad and jacket potato (.5) for mayo and (.5) for butter bud

Snack - banana, 2x apples, Ryvita Minis (4.5)

D - Chicken Quarter (skin off) with Pasta in Sauce (1) and Tomato and Onion Salad

Syns today - 6.5

Exercise - Jogging - 4 lengths of garden (its a 250 foot garden!) with 2 lengths walking in between x5

Sounds like you have had a fab weekend lovely but step away from the full fat mayo!! :p
How did the BBQ go?

Get Mick to hide it now...on that Secret Eaters programme a couple of weeks ago they said that ONE TABLESPOON OF FULL FAT MAY HAS THE SAME FAT AND CALORIE CONTENT AS A WHOLE SLICE OF CHOCOLATE CAKE....I know which I'd rather have!! it's 80% oil!!!

Tuesday 26th June

L - Chicken Quarter (skin off) with salad and jacket potato (.5) for mayo and (.5) for butter bud

D - Chicken Quarter (skin off) with Pasta in Sauce (1) and Tomato and Onion Salad

Syns today - 6.5

Exercise - Jogging - 4 lengths of garden (its a 250 foot garden!) with 2 lengths walking in between x5

Way to go....am dead jealous of your parents garden!!!

Get Mick to hide it now...on that Secret Eaters programme a couple of weeks ago they said that ONE TABLESPOON OF FULL FAT MAY HAS THE SAME FAT AND CALORIE CONTENT AS A WHOLE SLICE OF CHOCOLATE CAKE....I know which I'd rather have!! it's 80% oil!!!

I know I saw that ep too, but man it made that coleslaw taste sooooooo good! I am in for a gain this week Donna, I know it!

Tuesday 26th June

Syns today - 6.5

I change my evening meal slightly last night - I had HM egg fried rice - now I have done it previously and felt that there was something missing, so last night I cooked my rice and then I fried off some spring onions (coz they needed to be used) and then cracked two eggs and swirled it round, then added some soy sauce and a couple of teaspoons of curry powder - the key to amazing "tastes like real chinese" egg fried rice - its curry powder. I was beautiful and I could have eaten it a million times over.

So I only had 5.5 syns.

Wednesday 27th June

B - Rocky Road Hifi (HEB) and two oranged

Mid morning - small packet of wafer thin ham

L - Jacket Potato with mayo and butter bud (1) and salad and lentil burger (this was bought from the canteen I couldn't say how many syns were present so I will guess at 3(?))

D - Spaghetti Carbonara (HEA) (2.5) for chorizo and salad

Snacks - apple, punnet of cherries, 2 hershey's kisses

Syns: 8.5

Exercise: Jogging and other training with Sis

Back