Charleybarley's last attempt - 90lbs to lose

Charleybarley

Gold Member
Hi all - this is probably my 10th attempt at a diary over the last 8 years and my 1000000th attempt at trying to lose weight. I won't go over old ground, but in a nutshell I am happily married, have just moved to our first grown up home and realised how unfit and lethargic I have really become ....especially when your 70 yo dad is twice as fit as you!!

I am a bad dieter, I cheat and I go out a LOT - but I need to do something. I need to take responsibility and account of what kind of lifestyle I have. I turned 40 last year and I want to live a long and healthy life.

I am starting SW officially on Saturday 6th May in the hope that I can lose at least a stone before the hot weather comes. Today and tomorrow aren't good as it's a work lunch followed by a meal out for my mums birthday, then tomorrow it's a huge afternoon tea . I will however be good when I can for the next two days and record what I eat irrespective of what it may be.

I will generally weigh in on Friday mornings and take measurements every month or so. I was fairly fit and active but that has all but disappeared- if you don't use it, you lose it right? I suffered from trapped tibial verves in my legs and heels which is pretty painful a lot of the time, I think losing weight might help, but at the same time excessive walking really makes it worse - catch 22 - however I have kettle bells and other equipment to my workout arsenal as well as paying into a gym membership that I never use!!!

I don't go to class as I don't like class, but I have the SW tools and recipes in my head, on here and by using certain social media sites for inspiration.

I CAN DO THIS.......can't I?

Wow, that wasn't quite in a nutshell was it!!!!!!!

23rd May

:whistle::whistle::whistle:...sneaks back in! Ok, so I said I would officially start on 6th May.... clearly I am doing what I usually do and not making myself accountable for my actions. I just can't seem to say no! I do wonder if I don't care enough, which is an awful thing to admit, but I find the smallest reasons to not stick to plan, yesterday it was because someone had taken my bowl at work and I didn't want to eat my lentils and rice off a plate! So I went to my work canteen and got a tuna pasta bake with salad! It wasn't overly naughty or big, but you can bet your bottom dollar it wasn't low syn...man it was cheesy..:eatdrink012:

I have a big social life as i mentioned and I can't seem to be good when i am out - and i drink a fair bit and so when i drink, that leads to bad food decisions. . . vicious circle really. AND SO I start today. I also want to try and start drinking less, specifically wine, its so calorific. Saying that I am out at a 30th birthday on Saturday where I will try to stick to Rum and Diet Coke, my next fave drink.

Today:

B - Crabstick sandwich made on WM bread (HEB+2) with LC triangle (1) and cucumber
L - Lentil Curry and Rice (HEA for Primula squirted over it) (1)
D - Seasoned Grilled Chicken Thighs with WW Wrap (5), salad and hot sauce (2)
S - Satsuma, Apple, Gin & Tonic Ice Pop (3)

I never took any pics of the B and L but I will take pics of my tea tonight and try to remember to take pics for my other meals.

AIM: I have decided I would like to lose around 90lbs. Its a huge amount to lose, so I am not giving myself a deadline or time frame.

Have a good day to anyone who has made it this far. Think thin thoughts!

xxx

Hey Charley - well done on getting on the wagon hun - you can do this!

I'm the same, the slightest upset and I'm eating the contents of the fridge, or pouring vino down my throat :rolleyes::oops: - but my knees are so painful, it's time to face reality, look for other ways to deal with bingeing and get some weight off.

I'm starting back on SW on Friday - maybe we can do WIs together? Susie x

Hey Charley - well done on getting on the wagon hun - you can do this!

I'm the same, the slightest upset and I'm eating the contents of the fridge, or pouring vino down my throat :rolleyes::oops: - but my knees are so painful, it's time to face reality, look for other ways to deal with bingeing and get some weight off.

I'm starting back on SW on Friday - maybe we can do WIs together? Susie x

Hi Susie

Thanks for your post - I have been a secret admirer of yours, and also read some of your blogs in Italy too - its funny I am always lurking on her, but when I am not on plan i don't feel like I can post anything, like I don't belong you know? I feel I must be a silent lurker until I am on plan! Silly really, anyway thanks for coming on here and posting that. Yup SW was a fresh start for me on Friday I am weighed and measured, it wasn't pretty. I was on plan on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, yesterday I did our first BBQ (lived in a flat for 10 years and now have a new home with a garden and i Love It!!) and I was a little naughty on the nibbles front, but it wasn't tooooo bad. I haven't drunk much this weekend either as I was on antibiotics. Usually I am up by around 3 - 4lbs after a weekend, but I did a little WI this morning and I am down 1lb, which I was happy about.

It sounds to me like we are similar binge type eaters, if something goes well, its a celebratory feast, if something goes wrong I commiserate by eating a ton. Any excuse really to mumma out on food and I will take it. I am a sneaky eater too...nothing more thrilling than having the house to yourself and going out and buying loads of food and tucking in before the hubs gets home! Oddly when I lived on my own I never had that thrill...I do now!

Right, lets crack on with this Susie, we can do it! How was your first SW weekend?

xxx

I have been a secret admirer of yours, and also read some of your blogs in Italy too - its funny I am always lurking on her, but when I am not on plan i don't feel like I can post anything, like I don't belong you know? I feel I must be a silent lurker until I am on plan! Silly really, anyway thanks for coming on here and posting that. Yup SW was a fresh start for me on Friday I am weighed and measured, it wasn't pretty. I was on plan on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, yesterday I did our first BBQ (lived in a flat for 10 years and now have a new home with a garden and i Love It!!) and I was a little naughty on the nibbles front, but it wasn't tooooo bad. I haven't drunk much this weekend either as I was on antibiotics. Usually I am up by around 3 - 4lbs after a weekend, but I did a little WI this morning and I am down 1lb, which I was happy about.

It sounds to me like we are similar binge type eaters, if something goes well, its a celebratory feast, if something goes wrong I commiserate by eating a ton. Any excuse really to mumma out on food and I will take it. I am a sneaky eater too...nothing more thrilling than having the house to yourself and going out and buying loads of food and tucking in before the hubs gets home! Oddly when I lived on my own I never had that thrill...I do now!

Right, lets crack on with this Susie, we can do it! How was your first SW weekend? xxx

Well, blush :). So glad you like the blog Charley :).

There's no hard and fast rule about posting in your own thread - by all means lurk away if you don't feel like posting, but it's always good to hear peoples' news, even non food related. And it helps others support you if you're having a wobble or whatever :).

YES we can do this! My first weekend was good, actually, I just chilled at home and cooked a lot - then ate it :). But it was all good speed food, most of it.

Well, blush :). So glad you like the blog Charley :).

There's no hard and fast rule about posting in your own thread - by all means lurk away if you don't feel like posting, but it's always good to hear peoples' news, even non food related. And it helps others support you if you're having a wobble or whatever :).

YES we can do this! My first weekend was good, actually, I just chilled at home and cooked a lot - then ate it :). But it was all good speed food, most of it.

Thanks Susie, I just caught up on yours and posted, so I am off to a good start. I think its all part of my being ashamed of myself for not sticking to anything, I have been in drift mode for a long time - I need to take evasive action, not just for my diet, but for my life really. There's no time like the present is there?

Well done for a good weekend, CCing or WW is great for eating the kind of food you love, but there is nothing like the feeling of eating proper home cooked food and having plenty of it is there?

xx

Tuesday 30th

Well, I have had a good weekend, could have been better but it could have been a lot lot worse too. I am going to start documenting my food a what I eat a bit more on here and take photos so I can keep myself (and maybe others) inspired.

So today's menu:

B - A very sour nectarine (man it made my eyes water !!) and a Yogurt (1) which I ended up eating after lunch
L - Leftover BBQ food, a few chicken thighs, some pesto pasta (1) and some home made coleslaw (1)
D - More Chicken (I eat a LOT of chicken) done in Nandos Medium Sauce (2) (skin sadly removed :() with more pesto pasta (1) and home made coleslaw (1) and salad
S - Another sour nectarine, splash of milk in tea (1)

Syns - 8

I just realised I haven't accounted for an A or B in my plan. Hmmmm.....I am thinking cheesy garlic bread to go with my tea (HEB and HEA)

Hi Charley, I have found that just by being here it is a great start and as already said you don't have to feel you need to post to read and get benefit. For me I need "to talk" hear, it is how I become accountable to myself...but that's me. And the few times I haven't logged on and listed my food intake are the times I have gained weight...but again that is what suits me.

I think the important think about weight loss is to know you are overweight and to decide you need to do something about it. The "something" is different for everyone and sometimes it takes a lot of tries to find what works for you. At least with a forum like this you get to see the experience that everyone else has had too and learn from their successes and mistakes.

You will find you way when you are ready, making major changes to your lifestyle (which is what most of us are doing) cant really have an official start date, it takes time to get to it.

Small steps are the beginning of a big journey...we can do it.

Hi Charley, I have found that just by being here it is a great start and as already said you don't have to feel you need to post to read and get benefit. For me I need "to talk" hear, it is how I become accountable to myself...but that's me. And the few times I haven't logged on and listed my food intake are the times I have gained weight...but again that is what suits me.

I think the important think about weight loss is to know you are overweight and to decide you need to do something about it. The "something" is different for everyone and sometimes it takes a lot of tries to find what works for you. At least with a forum like this you get to see the experience that everyone else has had too and learn from their successes and mistakes.

You will find you way when you are ready, making major changes to your lifestyle (which is what most of us are doing) cant really have an official start date, it takes time to get to it.

Small steps are the beginning of a big journey...we can do it.

Hi Tipperary

Thanks for that post, it makes a lot of sense. I used to use this site all the time, but I think when it went away, albeit only for a few months, I just got out of the swing of it and all of a sudden, my old mini mates were gone and replaced by new people who had built relationships and friendships - i think also married bliss has a lot to do with it, I am married to a wonderful man who doesn't care how much i weigh, which is both a blessing and a curse. He is big like the proverbial brick house and is 6 foot, I am not, but I still manage to eat as much if not more than him - it can't go on, I have put on over 3 stone in the 8 years we have been together, and I was overweight then. Something needs to stop - I need to get a grip and start taking these aches and pains and high BP seriously or I need my mouth stapled up, one or the other...

Thanks again for your words, small steps sounds like just what i need, I tend to go full throttle for days and then fall off the wagon. I also need to stop berating myself every time i screw up.

Have a lovely day, do you have a diary?

xxx

My half eaten delish lunch
IMG_0734.JPG

Yep, my diary is "Tipperary is Shrinking" and daily rant is "I want to be fabulous at 50"...which gets a royal mention today. In a rush but can send links later.

Have a good day

IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0745.JPG So tonight's offering - I decided not to bother with the pasta and went for a huge salad and a roll filled with primula light and the hot chicken and coleslaw. Here are some pictures, I had it without the skin but it's so droolsome looking with skin in tact, I also only had the breast quarter and cut up the leg meat for tomorrow's lunch with the pesto pasta

IMG_0746.JPG

Emding The day with an ice lolly (3) - good food day ☺️

Oh your dinner looks amazing! I'm a big fan of the Nando's sauces!

Here to follow and support :) xx

Hi Cynical, thanks for stopping by! Thank you I love Nando sauces, I much prefer them on the real deal, but we make our own spatchcock chicken and douse it in the bottled stuff.

Wednesday 31st May

Good day all, I hope everyone is fit and well. I had a really enjoyable food day yesterday, its so nice when a day becomes 100% foodwise. It makes you feel so positive.

Today has so far been the same, although this evening is going to take a sinister turn....down Pizza Street :banghead: . Its my brother's birthday and we are going round for Pizza. Not shop bought stuff either, the real McCoy. I am going to try and not go all out and mental, but to be honest I don't like my chances at all - in the words of Pringles, once I pop I just can't stop. I love Pizza so so much! I did consider getting a chicken kebab instead - which I may still do as it will limit the damage, but at the same time I hate eating differently to everyone else (world's poorest excuse, I know!!!). We'll see what happens.

So far:

B - Leftover Pesto Pasta and Chicken - weird I know, but I have bought it in for lunch and it was a large amount, but needed to be eaten today, so I had 1/3 of it for brekkie and the rest of it for lunch with a salad (1)
L - As Above (1.5)
S - Nectarine and a plum and a yogurt (1)
D - OH MAN I DON'T KNOW! I have not got an HEA or B today either.

So my lunch and breakfast combo and some snacks throughout the day....

Oh and I know this probably isn't a revolutionary discovery but baby sweet peppers are amazing!!! I have never been a fan of raw peppers but these bad boys are delish!!!!!

IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0749.JPG

Will you be making your own pizzas, I love doing that and adding healthy toppings and not much cheese. Our local takeaway pizza offers an option for half cheese which can be good too.
At least you know and have planned the meal and if you know what you have eaten then it is easy to make up for it during the rest of the week.

I am going to try and not go all out and mental, but to be honest I don't like my chances at all - in the words of Pringles, once I pop I just can't stop. I love Pizza so so much!

Hello Twin! :). I am the same, I could live on pizza...well, not for long, I'd end up having to be airlifted off the sofa after a while :D.

How did you get on?

Back