Charliemm's Extra Easy Food Diary

How as WI on Monday Charlie? x

1.2lbs off but I was very bloated and swollen so I think really it's more than that - definitely feels like more of me is gone!

What about you? I'm finding it so hard to keep up with the thread! X

So I've been trying to be a little less obsessive about my diary over the last week or so, which has involved writing down syns and healthy extras only. Before, every time something passed my lips I'd be straight on my phone recording it, and it was getting a little out of hand.

However, whenever I make something fantastical I will try and remember to post on here. Like this evening for example, I cooked chicken fajitas for myself and OH. He likes them boring - literally just plain cooked chicken in a wrap with some mayo. I cooked mine with celeriac, broccoli, carrots and onions seasoned in Tabasco (is this synned?) and spices. I ditched the tortillas (I'm trying to eliminate gluten in an attempt to heal my poorly digestive system... More about that later) and served it up in romaine lettuce 'wraps'. Oh my freaking god, it was delicious. I didn't miss the tortillas one bit, the romaine added an extra crunchy texture and it was so good I ate it before I managed to take a picture. Don't despair, I've cooked up a batch to have as a mini lunch to have before my long run tomorrow afternoon, I have every intention of photoing that one!

Another amaze balls addition to my diet at the moment is overnight oats. Gluten free oats mixed with coconut milk, fat free natural yogurt and a little vanilla liquid stevia, and left in the fridge overnight. In the morning, the texture is gorgeously gloopy, and I add in some blueberries, a banana and I've been using my syns on my guilty pleasure - peanut butter! I freaking love peanut butter. To much in fact, which is why I've bought some powdered PB ('PB2', it's roasted peanuts that are pressed to remove the oils) which is much lower in syns. My other weakeness is granola. I've bought some gluten free goodness to top off my oats tomorrow, but at 2.5 syns for a heaped tablespoon I might have to try and cook up a less calorific version (suggestions please?!). The result? I go to bed and wake up looking very much forward to my breakfast!

This post seems too be turning into a blog entry! IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome - something I have recently been diagnosed with after suffering for years with bloating, flatulence and unpredictable toilet habits. I have never been one for medication, so I've been a loyal customer at Holland & Barratts, taking supplements such as aloe Vera, probiotic acidophilius, peppermint and charcoal. After seeing the doctor and a dietician, I've also tried a low fibre diet, eliminated dairy and I'm now reducing wheat and gluten (I doubt that I'm intolerant, but gluten is very hard to digest under the best circumstances and my poorly intestines might very well do better without it for a while!). Whilst these seem to reduce the symptoms somewhat, I find myself bloated and comfortable, without fail, most days around 2-3pm. I'm not a pleasant person to be around when it is particularly bad. I welcome comments and suggestions to anyone in a similar position or with worldly wisdom to impart. I'm quite frankly fed up of sporting a fart baby belly.

Finally, I have been doing red days consecutively since I restarted slimming world in order to help control my fibre intake from pasta, rice and grains. Honestly though, it's also in part because I freaking love both cheese and milk in and around my face on a daily basis. I'm not sure if this has contributed to my losses, but I shall be returning to extra easy for a couple of days so that I can have my beloved sweet potatoes, chick peas and quinoa! I'll be sure to update on the consequences!

Ciao for now!

How are you getting on with EE Charlie? Hope the extra fibre isn't playing too much havoc in the tummy dept! xx

How are you getting on with EE Charlie? Hope the extra fibre isn't playing too much havoc in the tummy dept! xx

Not having a brilliant tummy time at the minute, my dietician gave me some info on the FODMAP elimination diet for IBS which is definitely compatible with SW so am giving that a try. It's had some success, more so than the low fibre diets recommended by the NHS! X

Hi Charlie
How are you doing this week? I wasn't sure what the FODMAP diet was, so just looked it up & does make a lot of sense. How are you getting on with it?
Did you have IBS symptoms before starting SW? If you didn't, I wander why by eating a healthy balanced diet such as SW, would it excacerbate/cause your symptoms? Logically, it could be the increase in the fibre content by following SW, as I do read about lots of ladies/gents on here you suffer with bloating/gas & I know when I re-started back last October I was suffering in that department for a month or so, but soon settled! x

Hi Charlie
How are you doing this week? I wasn't sure what the FODMAP diet was, so just looked it up & does make a lot of sense. How are you getting on with it?
Did you have IBS symptoms before starting SW? If you didn't, I wander why by eating a healthy balanced diet such as SW, would it excacerbate/cause your symptoms? Logically, it could be the increase in the fibre content by following SW, as I do read about lots of ladies/gents on here you suffer with bloating/gas & I know when I re-started back last October I was suffering in that department for a month or so, but soon settled! x

Hello lovely, sorry I've not been around recently - having a few food issues at the moment and need a break from counting syns and restricting.

Fodmap is actually going pretty well, it's been hard to cut out gluten when I'm out of the house, and everywhere I eat out there are onions! So not 100% been able to avoid the foods but there is somewhat of an improvement - at least I can tell it gets worse when I've had high fodmap foods!

I have had bloating and flatulence for as long as I can remember, but its been a majorly long time since I started SW so it could well have started then. I do think it is linked partly to fibre, but also to the increase in fruit and vegetables that comes with SW too.

How have you been since calling target? X

At the weight you are now Charlie, you have a very healthy BMI, so would it not benefit you to try maintaining for a while if you're having a few food issues?
I would have thought with you doing SW & with the amount of fibre we have, it cant be very good for your IBS....mad that eating healthily can cause health issues!
I haven't really changed anything since calling target, except maybe more EE days with adding in an extra Hexb occasionally as its more of a 'natural' way of eating. I have lost a further 1.5lbs tho lol!
Hope you get your food issues sorted out x

Back