CHEWING GUM

sascha

HI all!

Really enjoying your website so decided to join up for moral support. started CD yesterday. sole source. Seriously I have to ask - what's the problem with chewing gum? I'm a doctor - so, if I 'm not allowed it - I'm going to need some science to back this up with!!! and diet coke? come awn! is it something to do with citric acid and ketosis?

The last official advice I heard on the subject was that you can chew sugar free gum for a couple of minutes at a time. (The carbs on gum are polyols I believe and I don't think they affect ketosis, although I may be wrong.)

The bit going against gum is that when you chew you may produce more stomach acid and because you're not putting food in your stomach that could cause an acid problem.

The other thing is that some people get hungry after chewing gum and others start getting cravings.

I personally could chew sugar free gum for hours with no ill affects.

yes its the citric acid in the diet coke that will affect the ketosis, however coke zero has malic acid , which as I am sure you will know, will not
nat x

Missed that bit, with the diet coke after two weeks of SS you are allowed a pint of kcal free drink per day on top of your water intake.

The last I heard on the citric acid side of things was that after two weeks it really shouldn't be enough carbs to knock you out of ketosis. Except there's bound to be someone who can't drink the stuff because of that.

It never messed me up 16 years ago either, but they will keep researching this stuff!

I have sugar free gum in my mouth for most of the day, I hardly chew it, I just try to keep it moist in my mouth to have a fresh taste & smell to my breath, I'm very paranoid about having dragon ketosis breath!

HI all!

Really enjoying your website so decided to join up for moral support. started CD yesterday. sole source. Seriously I have to ask - what's the problem with chewing gum? I'm a doctor - so, if I 'm not allowed it - I'm going to need some science to back this up with!!! and diet coke? come awn! is it something to do with citric acid and ketosis?

I just want to say hello and welcome to the best diet ever, I think your questions have been delt with, so good luck on your diet journey and look forward to reading your updates soon.

Back