Chick Pea Check ....

Hehe... smig, you're off your rocker!

Ruthy, hope you are ok hun. Have you got epi pen now? I'm allergic to fruit based alcohols (most wine, cider etc), at least it's easy for me to avoid. Hope you get sorted in your new role soon. xxx

Hiya guys sorry im late replying to this thread, It all started when i was 8, i hadnt eaten banana's for a few years and when i did my throat swelled up i had the worst ever D&V to the point it was like mucus....back then 22 years ago the only advice i was given was to avoid it. Then when i was 17 i had the same reaction to a kiwi fruit...again i avoided. I have always worked in the NHS and wore latex gloves on a daily basis. It wasnt until i had maternity leave i decided to go to collage which in turn i was accepted into University to study anaesthetics and surgery (as a technician ODP)

During my training i was ALWAYS ill chronic tonsilittis and weird rashes all over my body....then the stomach pains started so i was sent for a Gall bladder scan as the thought it could be that....again those results were inconclusive. It wasnt until i had a break from Theatres, where i had to go to uni to complete my final exams and course assignments i thought something might be wrong. I was trained in critical care etc and thought my symptoms resembled those of someone in anaphylaxis. So on my return to theatres i donned some latex gloves and thats when i had pins and needles in my lips....thought oh f**k THIS! and got myself to occupational health ASAP. After a few tests it was confirmed i had type1 latex allergy and hence havent been back since. I can touch latex and have no skin problems, but if i rub my eye or mouth i seem to get ill ranging from sneezing to throat feeling like its closing. It's the pits. But apparently if you have a fruit allergy it can make you atopic to developing latex allergies along with many more.

So thats my story in a nut shell 3years of hard work down the pan qualifications that are useless to me as they are only applicable to clinical work.
GUTTED AINT THE WORD!
Yes Lou i have got a EPIPEN and antihistanines, i have to take it everywhere. I hate xmas time as all the shops have balloons up everywhere and i have to tell mums not to put balloons in party bags etc.....the worst shops to go into are card shops ...latex balloons everywhere!

Ruthy xxx

Last edited:
Ruthy, that's really sh*te, sorry to hear about the job! I am a HCA and have a mild latex allery, i can't weqr the gloves and can't use the pumps on a blood pressure cuff either. To be honest i have never had latex on my face or lips so i don't know just how sensitive i am. I went to the docs about it once because the rash on my hands and arms were so sore, he said it wasn't bad enough to even be tested for sensitivity?!!

I don't have any other skin probs either but i find it really hard at work sometimes. When i han my surgery to have my gall bladder out last year, the hospital had to order a latex free operation kit. Felt quite nice to be kinda special/different he he he!!!

Keep your chin up babe, easy said than done, i know but we are all here to winge to if you need us!! HUGS!!

Thanks Bumpy0 for that, It sounds like you have a got a Type 5 latex allergy...mine is a type 1.
Type 5 gives you sore skin....type 1 doesnt directly affect your skin its more systemic reactions and hence i have anayphylactic symptoms. You need to speak to your occy health asap.....and you SHOULD be check all the time by them too.

It is a bummer at the moment i am bored and stuck in a very very big rut....but i am having legal advice.....re:industrial injury.
Thinking of joining the police force...not to work on the beat but more behind the scenes etc.

Ruthy xxx

Ohhh Ruthy, I work with the Police at weekends and absolutely love it, so much so I wish I could do that all week and my full time job just at weekends!! xxx

I dont know how to get into it. I wouldnt mind being a detention officer and :whip: some ass.
Id love it
HAHAHA
Ruthy xxx

Back