Chick Peas in Baking - Is this wrong?

bmthsue

I'm sure this must have been raised before, but I can't seem to find the thread, so please feel free to move it to the right post.
Can you use chick peas in baking? The example I've been given is chocolate brownies: Choc, baking powder, eggs, chick peas. I may have missed a vital ingredient, but basically the only synnable items are the choc & baking powder. The brownies are a total of 65 syns which works out at 4 syns per square when you cut into 16 pieces.
Am I right in thinking that this is one of those cases where you are using something totally out of its character (similar to making cake with cous cous)? You mash chick peas for houmous, so can you mash them for brownies?
Any answers greatly appreciated before I break into my friend's office along the corridor and steal the box of brownies!
Thanks!
x

As I understand it you must count the syns for the chickpeas.

This because chickpeas, couscous etc are only free when eaten as part of meal. Any snacks like your brownies, couscous cake, lasagne crisps need to have the free element synned as for red days to stop you from overindulging.

Whether they are mashed or not doesn't come into it. That rule only applies to fruit.

Yes its called tweaking!!! :( :( Nice idea though

As I understand it you must count the syns for the chickpeas.

This because chickpeas, couscous etc are only free when eaten as part of meal. Any snacks like your brownies, couscous cake, lasagne crisps need to have the free element synned as for red days to stop you from overindulging.

Whether they are mashed or not doesn't come into it. That rule only applies to fruit.

I calculated lasagne crisps for someone And a portion 3 sheets worked out as 9 syns more than a lot of packets of crisps.

My take is and it's unofficial is if you are having them as a snack on top your full meals, ur hex your syns etc its a bad idea as you are essentially eating a whole other portion of pasta by making them into crisps your making them easy to over eat. You wouldn't eat a meal then it. 3 plain boiled lasagne sheets.

However if you have a super free salad for your meal and everyone is having a bag of crisps on side, then have them as your meal but not as well as and don't have the crisps alone instead of your super free salad.

Same theory works for the other tweaks. I don't do them these nibble ideas can be disastrous and you can swap one bad habit for another.
If you want a brownie just have one and syn it.
Save the chickpeas for a meal.

from fat to skinny jeans only 50lbs to go

Back