Chicken Breast and Ketosis

Rallya

Am I right in thinking that if I have a blow out on a chicken breast (sometimes I've just got to chew something :eek: ) when doing SS, that I wont fall out of ketosis no matter how much chicken I eat? In effect I could stuff my face with chicken breast and not affect ketosis right? As long as I didnt go mad and eat like 4 breasts a day or something :rolleyes:

it wouldn't take you out of ketosis at all. Its just the more you have the more cals you would be having over the day.

You could eat several whole chickens a day and you would still be in ketosis because there is no carbohydrate in chicken.

You'd put on weight eating that much chicken a day though. ;)

OKay, bumping the thread.

Are we in ketosis because of the calories we are taking in? Or from the carbohydrates? If we ate 500 calories, but they were all carbs, we wouldnt be in ketosis, right?

That's right, ketosis is due to lack of carbs, not lack of calories. Here's the basic version: carbs are your body's main source of fuel, and when you stop putting carbs in, the body has to find another source of fuel - fat. However, carbs are a ready source, meaning they are stored in the body ready to use the second they are required. Fat needs to be processed by the body if it's to be used as fuel, and this process produces fatty acids and ketones. Hence the name ketosis.

Chicken kebabs!

I have a chicken kebab with mayonnaise (no pitta tho) once a week, this is my 4th week and i'm 21lbs lighter.

Nothin wrong with chicken :D

I have a chicken kebab with mayonnaise (no pitta tho) once a week, this is my 4th week and i'm 21lbs lighter.

Good for you honey bun xxx :D

you know you will get some people not happy with that statement.

BUT i really struggle on sundays. i mean really really struggle. so I have a slice of chicken breast and a couple of teaspoons of brocolli/cauliflower whilst the rest of the family has sunday lunch. This was suggested by my CDC, probably against CD rules etc, but it seems to work for me. I am working on cutting that meal out eventually. But for now, I am trying to shield my kids from CD, as I dont actually belive its a good thing for kids to know about. The rest of the week i tell them I eat when they are in bed, or have breakfast after they are at school, but sundays, well tbh I just want that one meal a week of normality.

CD can be tough at times and my personal feeling is better to have a little bit of chicken and some veg once a week to sate a craving as opposed to trying to go without and then falling off the wagon big style at a later date.

I think I read somewhere on the official site that there was a lady that had a square of chocolate everynight or a sunday lunch with the family on ss and that kept her focused instead of binging.

Some of us are not lucky enough to have an iron cast resolve and if you have to make a small modification to the way you do CD to make it work for you then so be it.

Putting the soapbox away now :p

PS Misdee - before and now photos are fab - well done :)

Hi there

I just wanted to add my tupence worth.
It is better for us to SS as much as we can and if needed have food such as chicken or chicken and a couple floretts of veg to keep us on the straight and narrow. Better that than fall off and blow it all together and have those negative feelings.
If you're losing weight by SSing and doing the chicken thing then that is obviously the best way for you to succeed and still keep your sanity. I think we are all at risk of getting massivly hung up with SSing. Yes it is the quickest way to lose and many CDers will say you are not SSing or breaking the rules but at the end of the day we are all here on a journey to lose weight, become healthier and feel better about ourselves. For some of us our journeys will be like taking the motorway to Scotland for others of us we may take the scenic route and travel on the A roads and take a bit longer but as long as we all get there in one piece surely that is the most important thing to remember.

Sorry for those who are SSing purists who won't agree but lets not lose sight of what we are all here trying to achieve.

I think the advice on here is great, I for one would have had a small piece of chicken if it would keep me on the straight and narrow, I am a firm believer in you knowing what is best, and if a small piece of chicken keeps you on the straight and narrow and stops you going for anything else then do it. If it leads to having a bit of something else......... then stop, but at this moment then its best for you x

I think Saturday nights are the hardest for me as this was always 'take away night' infont of the telly. Im in two minds, firstly I think a chicken kebab with mayo and no bread would really see me through and I would look forward to it all week and stick to the plan 100% just to reach my little reward on a Saturday.

But then I know the other half of my brain would say just have a little bit more on Sun then Mon and before you know it youre snowballing!

Don't know whether the giving in once a week would bring comfort and sanity or torture and insanity!!!

AAGGHH! What to do :(

Anyway, can I ask, is it a whole kebab or do you pick at just a bit?
My weight losses are nowhere near yours and I'm SSing 100% :( :(

Wow, I love chicken SO MUCH. As I've prob said in most my threads I'm off to Glastonbury next week. Do you think if I eat chicken there for that extra energy as well as my bar/2 tetra's a day I wont fall off the bandwagon too much?

Keeping an eye on this thread its made my day :)

Chicken kebab

I have a large chicken kebab with mayonnaise as there is very little carbs in it and I eat the whole thing.

I think Saturday nights are the hardest for me as this was always 'take away night' infont of the telly. Im in two minds, firstly I think a chicken kebab with mayo and no bread would really see me through and I would look forward to it all week and stick to the plan 100% just to reach my little reward on a Saturday.

But then I know the other half of my brain would say just have a little bit more on Sun then Mon and before you know it youre snowballing!

Don't know whether the giving in once a week would bring comfort and sanity or torture and insanity!!!

AAGGHH! What to do :(

Anyway, can I ask, is it a whole kebab or do you pick at just a bit?
My weight losses are nowhere near yours and I'm SSing 100% :( :(

Maybe I've lost the plot a bit - is that a take-away chicken kebab?? As in kebab van styleee??? Or are we talking a home made kebab - chicken on a skewer??? I'm kinda hoping it's the first one!!! :D

I wish I never read this thread lol, craving big time :(

tell me about it .... just can't stop thinking that chicken kebab is ok if it doesn't knock you out of ketosis!!! Now my housemate is determined we are having one for dinner!!

I might do an experiment later ... I'm having tomorrow night off for a family event so will re-start on Sunday. I'll eat :eat: one tonight and do a test in the morning and let you know the results LOL!!! If I'm out it doesn't really matter as I have to restart anyways on Sunday. Least then we'd know for sure!!!

Ssssshhhhh don't tell anyone!! LOL x:giggle:

tell me about it .... just can't stop thinking that chicken kebab is ok if it doesn't knock you out of ketosis!!! Now my housemate is determined we are having one for dinner!!

I might do an experiment later ... I'm having tomorrow night off for a family event so will re-start on Sunday. I'll eat :eat: one tonight and do a test in the morning and let you know the results LOL!!! If I'm out it doesn't really matter as I have to restart anyways on Sunday. Least then we'd know for sure!!!

Ssssshhhhh don't tell anyone!! LOL x:giggle:

I like your style ;)

Back