Chicken Dhansak

Liannioso

Silver Member
Hi,

Noticed on a lot of your diaries that you opt for this when having an indian takeaway as it's only 6.5 syns. Is it a curry? And how does it taste? Is that the syn value on red? And if so what do you have with it?

Thanks

Lianne x

hey hun, im 99% sure its a curry, i always opt for a chicken rogan josh if having an indian as its only 6.5 syns also and isnt spicy (im a wuss!) i always have plain boiled rice with mine, and alow myself those extra syns on a a few nibbles of sides that i would have usually spent on a chicken korma or tikka masala .. xxx

Found this and thought it might be of interest to you for further reference.

This delicious and popular Parsi dish can be made with chicken or lamb. You can even omit the meat altogether and go vegetarian. Dhansak is traditionally served with Brown Rice and Kachumbar salad. While it seems like a lot of ingredients at first glance, most of them are for the Dhansak masala powder. To make and store some for later just double or triple the quantities from the recipe below, prepare and store in an airtight container. Another tip - Dhansak tastes even better the next day!
Ingredients:

• 1 cup mixed lentils - toor, masoor, urad and moong (1/4 cup each)
  • 500 gms chicken pieces of your choice - boneless
  • 10 black peppercorns
  • 8 cloves
  • 1"piece cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1" piece of mace
  • 1" piece of mace
  • 2 large bay leaves
  • 1 star anise
  • 3 dry red chillies
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 large bunch each of fresh coriander leaves and fenugreek leaves
  • 1/2 bunch mint leaves
  • 1 tbsp tamarind paste
  • 1 tbsp garlic paste
  • 1 tbsp ginger paste
  • 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
  • 1 litre chicken stock
  • Salt to taste
  • Preparation:
    • Wash the lentils well. Put them in a deep pan, add the chicken stock, salt to taste and a cup of water. Boil till the lentils are soft. Add more water if required.
    • While the lentils are boiling. Heat a griddle or heavy-bottomed flat pan on a medium flame and dry roast all the spices (except the turmeric and nutmeg) till they begin to release their aroma. Remove from the fire, cool and then grind to a fine powder in a dry coffee or spice grinder. Mix in the turmeric and nutmeg and blend well. Keep aside.
    • When the lentils are cooked soft, whisk them to get a smooth soup-like consistency. Keep aside.
    • Heat the cooking oil in a pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the fresh coriander, fenugreek and mint leaves to it. Fry till soft. Remove from the fire and cool. Grind into a smooth paste in a food processor.
    • Heat a deep, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame and add the lentils, ginger, garlic and tamarind pastes and bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. The consistency should always be like a medium-thick soup. Add a cup of water, the spice powder and coriander-fenugreek-mint paste you made earlier, salt if required and the chicken pieces. Mix well.
    • Simmer and cook till chicken is done. Add more water to maintain consistency.
    • Serve Dhansak hot with Brown Rice and Kachumbar salad

Chicken Dansak is spicy and mild, very nice...

Donnie it is not always mild, where I go it will blow your head off, most people who go with me taste it and would not be able to eat it, it depends on the chef and what recipe he follows.

It's usually quite hot where I go - but I ask for them to do it medium heat and without the extra ghee (spelling?!) and they're usually very obliging.

Back