Chicken skin help please

mandyafc

I've just bought a chicken to cook so I can use the meat for a variety of meals. I love roast chicken but to chuck away the roasted skin seems like sacrilege! I so love it and am not sure if I'm strong enough to resist the temptation lol.

I see that 25g of roasted chicken skin is 6.5 syns, does anyone here syn roast chicken skin and if so, do you get much for 25g or 50g of it?

If it's really not worth it I guess the best way to cook it would be to bung it in the slow cooker so that the skin looks less appetising?

Thanks for any help. :)

tbh im the same trying to throw away roast chicken skin is near on impossible!! lol so cut it off before you cook it!! no where near as tempting! :) x

Wrap it in foil before cooking that way the skin won't crisp and u won't want to eat it x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I used to love the skin but now I think its horrible and greasy! If I have a whole chicken I let my OH pick the skin off

I think it's so brill that we're all so different - even before SW, in fact I even remember as a child, being absolutely disgusted by the abhorent texture of and thought of eating fat or skin from any meat.

As a teenager I did try to eat the skin off a chicken once but that was only because my cousin who was (and still is) as slim as a supermodel loved it and had the entire skin rather than the meat! .It didn't work - I was as sick as a dog all night :D

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. As I doubt Mrs CC will lend me her OH, I'm going to follow Donzy84's suggestion and roast it in foil so I'm less tempted but I am going to ask a friend (one that already knows I'm mad!) to weigh the skin the next time they roast a chicken...can you believe they give theirs to their cat! :eek:

Thanks again :)

mandyafc said:
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. As I doubt Mrs CC will lend me her OH, I'm going to follow Donzy84's suggestion and roast it in foil so I'm less tempted but I am going to ask a friend (one that already knows I'm mad!) to weigh the skin the next time they roast a chicken...can you believe they give theirs to their cat! :eek:

I stuff it with a lemon then double wrap in foil and before totally sealing pour a cup of water in and then seal keeps it nice and moist and the u can make gravy with juices just skim the fat first x

I cook my chickens on a rack in the oven on it's breast so all the juices flow into the breast to keep it moist - (the underside then gets very crispy) I take it all off and throw away and then turn the chicken the other way and take the sloppy skin off the breast - cover with aluminium foil for the last 10 minutes or so.................delicious.

Wrap it in foil before cooking that way the skin won't crisp and u won't want to eat it x
Thanks Donzy84, this method was brill, the skin didn't tempt me, the chicken was lovely and moist and it cooked more quickly than usual...plus the tin was much easier to clean!

The stock I've drained off and put into the fridge. When I've taken the fat off I'm going to use it as the base for a soup.

mandyafc said:
Thanks Donzy84, this method was brill, the skin didn't tempt me, the chicken was lovely and moist and it cooked more quickly than usual...plus the tin was much easier to clean!

The stock I've drained off and put into the fridge. When I've taken the fat off I'm going to use it as the base for a soup.

No probs glad u liked it. Hmmm what do u put in ur soup? X

I usually do a 'bung in whatever's in the fridge' soup. I soften some onions in some frylight and add carrots, this week I cut up a small gammon steak and added that, then chucked in a chopped up pepper, a sliced courgette and some thinly sliced savoy cabbage. Then I add some garlic granules, dried thyme, a chicken oxo and a handful of pearl barley. Then bring to boil and simmer till the pearl barley is done. I don't liquidise my soups as I like the nice chunky veg and a runny stock.

i agree with one of the other comments on here, try skinning the chicken before cooking it. It is a disgusting job and the skin is so slimy. Has put me off and this coming from a guy who loved Kentucky fired chicken :(

Back