chicken.?

ColJack

Gold Member
Since starting SW on the EE plan, I have a lot of chicken.
This has so far been in the form of skinless and boneless chicken breasts ( fresh or frozen ).
Since I'm now on a tighter budget I am looking at frozen whole chickens and legs / thighs as a cheaper alternative.
The question I'm trying to get to is, when it says "skin removed" in the book, is that pre or post cooking? since if I'm cookig frozen portions it will be hard to take the skin off while frozen..

I think generally it's fine to remove the skin after cooking, although maybe if you were making a casserole out of thighs or drumsticks it might be best to defrost them and take the skin off before cooking. I've never removed the skin from a whole chicken before cooking - it would just dry out too much! :)

I thought you could leave skin on untill eating?
Btw if you take the skin off a whole chicken and cook it breast side down it stays really moist.

It will depend how you are cooking the chicken, if you are roasting it on it's own it is okay to remove skin afterwards.

However if you are adding it to a curry, casserole or similar you need to remove all skin and visible fat before hand, as the fats will drain into your sauce otherwise making it very high in syns.

I agree with all above and I use chicken thighs always as I find that chicken breasts can be v dry. When I buy the chicken thighs (or sometimes legs too) I take em out of the pack first and de-skin them and them put them in a freezer bag (as I rarely ever roast my chicken, always use in casserole/curry/stew etc). A bit of extra work I know but will help you in cooking from frozen (which I have done before with no problems!). x

Back