Chickens

now-or-never

Can you keep chickens in a council property (wigan if it makes a diference) ???

Last year the street had a problem with rats and mice in fact mice have been a problem for the past 2 winters. Anyhow my next door neighbours had a rat in there property last winter and she has just bought chickens ( about 6 ) for her back yard. To me i want to scream are u serious !!!!!!!!!! but is she allowed to keep them in a council property

I think there is a bylaw or something that says as long as they have enough space and are well looked after then people can keep chicken in there council house gardens. I'm pretty sure it dates back to WWII when the government wanted to help people produce their own food etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes I believe she can - i know my ex was going to keep them and now she has obtained an allotment she's probably got them and a supply of organic free-range eggs:cool:

She was one of these "by-the-book" people so I'd imagine it is ok to do so.

Can you keep chickens in a council property (wigan if it makes a diference) ???

Last year the street had a problem with rats and mice in fact mice have been a problem for the past 2 winters. Anyhow my next door neighbours had a rat in there property last winter and she has just bought chickens ( about 6 ) for her back yard. To me i want to scream are u serious !!!!!!!!!! but is she allowed to keep them in a council property

Hi there, I'm not sure about keeping chickens but I too live in Wigan. Whereabouts are you?

Chickens kept properly and their food stored correctly should not be the cause of vermin.

We kept chickens, ducks and a turkey for years and were never infested with rats.

If your neighbour keeps them cleaned out and the food in airtight containers it should be o.k.

It will be in the deeds of the property or tenancy agreement.

We live in a quite rural area in a fairly new house (circa 15 yrs old) and are not allowed any fowl animals on our land. Gutted! I'd love chickens, we have a big garden and are in the middle of a farming community but it's just not allowed.

Yet up the road are some council houses/ex council houses which have been bought with tiny gardens and they are allowed them!!

So, in answer, check your agreement.

hi

I have chickens - all food and water is off the floor and stored in Metal bins, our run is fox and as far as we can rodent proof - re your neighbour's chooks - as long as she is careful and removes any leftovers at night (including water) there shouldnt be a problem.

You should have a quiet word - ask about her chooks and was she aware of the rodent problem and what is she doing to make sure they are not eating and drinking her chooks food. You may even be given some free eggs - home grown are the best ever.

Chookiehen

Back