chickpea dahl

kt_baybeh

Gym Addict!!!
Hiya

ive seen alot of people raving about this and had a few questions as i want to try it!

1. What does it taste like??
2. Where can i buy it (couldnt find in asda)
3. Can you make it yourself (dont have blender)

Thanks

Kate

It's basically just curried chickpeas and it tastes yummy. You'll find several recipes in the recipe section if you do a search or just take a look at some of the internet recipe sites as many recipes can be made SW friendly without too much effort.

Ingredients

2 can (15-oz) chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion; minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground coriander (up to)
1 teaspoon red pepper powder (cayenne)
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt; or to taste
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Directions: How to Cook Chickpea Dal (Kabuli Chana Dal)

Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 11:23:51 -0400

From: Expose Email This recipe is from INDIAN LIGHT COOKING, which I've told you about before. It is our *Fave* dal recipe so far. Quick & Easy to fix, too!

Remove 1 c. chickpeas (including the liquid) from 1 can of chickpeas. Drain. Coarsely chop. In a food processor or blender, process the remaining chickpeas and the liquid to a puree. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick saucepan over moderate heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir until they crackle, about 10 seconds. Add onion, ginger & garlic. Stir until onion is translucent. Add turmeric, coriander and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 20 seconds, being careful not to burn. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 1 minute. Add chopped & pureed chickpeas. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add salt to taste.* Remove from heat. Add lime juice and stir. YUM!

Serve with rice, whole wheat bread, and a yogurt salad (raitta). "For a special treat, try Piquant Lime Rice."

*we watch our sodium, so instead of using salt we doubled the lime juice. This would make a great party dip with pita triangles, if it were pureed a bit more completely.

FATFREE DIGEST V96 #174

I really want to try this, but don't have an asda in my town, and don't think they sell it in tesco! :(

I had the morrisons sundar one. It SMELLS like mcdonalds curry sauce, you know in the little pot. It tastes like a less tangy version of that IMO. I liked the sauce but i did not like the texture of the chickpeas

Also, dont forget that if you blend the chickpeas they become synned!
The Chickpea Dhal from Asda is near the tinned meats/burgers.

Back