chinese five spice

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by charsie, 6 March 2010 Social URL.

1. charsie

charsie Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    hi i have done a search but its coming up with lots of just 'spice'.

i've seen it mentioned before here, but im hoping to do a stir fry tonight, how many syns has chinese five spice? and how much of it should I use?

thank you

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sarahandmolly

sarahandmolly Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(7.43%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's free, use whatever you want. I just normally add little by little & keep tasting it xx

4. twinkle toes

twinkle toes Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm really getting into spicing plain cous cous with free stock cubes or spices and today I'm going to do Chinese 5 spice... vegetable stock was good, chicken stock was good, 5 spice should be good too. Don't know whether to use a chicken or veg stock first AND 5 spice as addition or just water and spice no stock. Either way, I'm sure I will be back to let you know how it tastes.

Any and all ideas welcome x

5. Happy Hippo

Happy Hippo A 'potamus on a budget

Start Weight:
    18st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Do chicken stock as well as five spice, and maybe a dash of soy sauce which should work well.

You can get Thai seven spice powder which is worth looking out for - combine a shake of that with a chicken oxo, a good dash of lemon juice and a drop or two of tabasco if you like it spicy.

6. twinkle toes

twinkle toes Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    It was lush. Pineapple for pudding mmmm :) slimming world rocks x too late to add soy, lemon and tobasco today but I'm having it tomorrow for lunch too so I shall try that then.

Twice in one week, three my limit haha. Then I'll get bored and go onto something else.

Last edited: 22 August 2013
  7. Happy Hippo

Happy Hippo A 'potamus on a budget

Start Weight:
    18st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Does sound yummy. Got some couscous hiding somewhere, I always forget about it as it's pretty bland on its own so I'll have to try this myself now! If you do try the Thai-style don't use 5-spice in it, but if you can find 7-spice instead it should be lovely - I use it in my noodle soups. Apologies if it doesn't work well, just an experimental idea! :)

8. twinkle toes

twinkle toes Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's a testament to my own laziness that I use plain coz I searched these pages for hours and weeks and never found a flavoured brand people could agree on as worth 3 or 5 syns. Your own with stock is free so plain was a no brainer.

Also helps to ignore hob cooking and just add boiling water in a bowl and leave to soak for 5 mins. Easier to prepare with stock and spices that way I find x

9. slim93

slim93 New Member

want make curry any tips on maysan etc .just started diet and not got spices to do it without. help

10. slim93

slim93 New Member

cud you help me out with low curry sauce .just starting not at group yet but av natural yogurt turmeric and cinnamon sticks. need to make a curry for tonight and no other spices

11. Paulinegin

Paulinegin Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st9.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.29%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    Slim, to be honest you'll struggle to make a curry sauce out of those. What's your protein - chicken, fish? And do you have any veggies?

P x

12. twinkle toes

twinkle toes Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    There's a recipe on the sw website that calls for some yoghurt and cinnamon sticks but it's not those alone, there is turmeric and veg stock etc.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.