chinese five spice

charsie

hi i have done a search but its coming up with lots of just 'spice'.

i've seen it mentioned before here, but im hoping to do a stir fry tonight, how many syns has chinese five spice? and how much of it should I use?

thank you

It's free, use whatever you want. I just normally add little by little & keep tasting it xx

I'm really getting into spicing plain cous cous with free stock cubes or spices and today I'm going to do Chinese 5 spice... vegetable stock was good, chicken stock was good, 5 spice should be good too. Don't know whether to use a chicken or veg stock first AND 5 spice as addition or just water and spice no stock. Either way, I'm sure I will be back to let you know how it tastes.

Any and all ideas welcome x

Do chicken stock as well as five spice, and maybe a dash of soy sauce which should work well.

You can get Thai seven spice powder which is worth looking out for - combine a shake of that with a chicken oxo, a good dash of lemon juice and a drop or two of tabasco if you like it spicy.

It was lush. Pineapple for pudding mmmm :) slimming world rocks x too late to add soy, lemon and tobasco today but I'm having it tomorrow for lunch too so I shall try that then.

Twice in one week, three my limit haha. Then I'll get bored and go onto something else.

Last edited:
Does sound yummy. Got some couscous hiding somewhere, I always forget about it as it's pretty bland on its own so I'll have to try this myself now! If you do try the Thai-style don't use 5-spice in it, but if you can find 7-spice instead it should be lovely - I use it in my noodle soups. Apologies if it doesn't work well, just an experimental idea! :)

It's a testament to my own laziness that I use plain coz I searched these pages for hours and weeks and never found a flavoured brand people could agree on as worth 3 or 5 syns. Your own with stock is free so plain was a no brainer.

Also helps to ignore hob cooking and just add boiling water in a bowl and leave to soak for 5 mins. Easier to prepare with stock and spices that way I find x

cud you help me out with low curry sauce .just starting not at group yet but av natural yogurt turmeric and cinnamon sticks. need to make a curry for tonight and no other spices

cud you help me out with low curry sauce .just starting not at group yet but av natural yogurt turmeric and cinnamon sticks. need to make a curry for tonight and no other spices

Slim, to be honest you'll struggle to make a curry sauce out of those. What's your protein - chicken, fish? And do you have any veggies?

P x

There's a recipe on the sw website that calls for some yoghurt and cinnamon sticks but it's not those alone, there is turmeric and veg stock etc.

Back