Chinese Sweetcorn & Crab Soup

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
Serves 4
1 syn per serve on EE

4DAAF5B9-E559-4D82-B2BF-E5AA667BD9DA-521-00000066DB1158E9-1.jpg

Small piece of ginger, finely chopped
150g crab meat (or shredded cooked chicken)
2 tsp cornflour (2 syns)
3 tbsps water
3 cups (750ml) chicken stock (I just made it up with 2 knorr chicken stock pots + water)
1 x 375g can creamed style corn
2 ears fresh corn on the cob (or 1 x 340g can sweetcorn, drained)
1 tsp light soy sauce (don't be tempted to add more, remember the stock is salty)
1/2 tsp sugar (0.5 syn)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sesame oil (1 syn)
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 egg whites

In a small bowl stir the chopped ginger into the crab meat, set aside

In another small bowl mix the cornflour with 3 tbsps water, set aside

Bring the chicken stock to a boil (or water and stock pots, stir until dissolved)

If using fresh corn, cut the niblets off the corn cob running the knife along the length of the corn. Add the sweetcorn, creamed corn, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper. Stir and allow to boil for a few minutes, lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes

Add the crab meat (or chicken) & ginger and stir

Add the cornflour mixture and stir well to thicken. It won't be super thick

Drizzle in the egg whites and stir with a fork to form streams of cooked egg white

Remove from heat, stir in sesame oil and spring onions

Serve immediately. So delicious and warming!!

I got it from Waitrose, but I think you can get it anywhere. It was the Green Giant brand and I've seen it everywhere!

Honeyoc said:
I got it from Waitrose, but I think you can get it anywhere. It was the Green Giant brand and I've seen it everywhere!

I've never even noticed before but just googled, will have to have a look tomorrow as that's one of my favourite Chinese dishes, yum

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It was sooo yum!!! Would have been great with some sesame prawn toast! I think I'll attempt a SW version this weekend!

Honeyoc said:
It was sooo yum!!! Would have been great with some sesame prawn toast! I think I'll attempt a SW version this weekend!

I made the SW samosas off Bilsat's recipe thread recently and was thinking of doing some type of prawn won ton type thing with the filo pastry sheets too, but I also love sesame prawn toast so will def be pinching that recipe off you :)

Delicious! I've tried so many recipes for this soup but none were just like from the Chinese. This is! Thanks :D

Attachments

• image-3981653203.jpg
    image-3981653203.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 323
Yum! This has reminded me about the chicken and sweetcorn soup I make...must make it again soon :) Yours looks lovely though! For the person who was asking...I've only ever been able to find creamed corn in Morrisons, never in Tesco or Asda

I generally buy my creamed corn from Asda- Green Giant brand :)

Just want to subscribe to make later

Made another batch the other day and have leftovers in the freezer :) yum! x

So glad you guys are enjoying this soup, it's so delicious!

Honeyoc said:
Serves 4
1 syn per serve on EE

Small piece of ginger, finely chopped
150g crab meat (or shredded cooked chicken)
2 tsp cornflour (2 syns)
3 tbsps water
3 cups (750ml) chicken stock (I just made it up with 2 knorr chicken stock pots + water)
1 x 375g can creamed style corn
2 ears fresh corn on the cob (or 1 x 340g can sweetcorn, drained)
1 tsp light soy sauce (don't be tempted to add more, remember the stock is salty)
1/2 tsp sugar (0.5 syn)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sesame oil (1 syn)
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 egg whites

In a small bowl stir the chopped ginger into the crab meat, set aside

In another small bowl mix the cornflour with 3 tbsps water, set aside

Bring the chicken stock to a boil (or water and stock pots, stir until dissolved)

If using fresh corn, cut the niblets off the corn cob running the knife along the length of the corn. Add the sweetcorn, creamed corn, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper. Stir and allow to boil for a few minutes, lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes

Add the crab meat (or chicken) & ginger and stir

Add the cornflour mixture and stir well to thicken. It won't be super thick

Drizzle in the egg whites and stir with a fork to form streams of cooked egg white

Remove from heat, stir in sesame oil and spring onions

Serve immediately. So delicious and warming!!

Hi Honey

Just looking at the recipe again, and wondered if it is allowed on EE as there doesn't appear to be enough super free food? I am hoping I am wrong though as it looks mighty delicious

Kx

Have it with a side salad or something and Bob's your uncle! :)

Back