Chips

callmejulie

Just made my first batch of SW chips - cud live off them :D

I'm afraid somebody is going to tell me there has been a terrible mistake and they are full of syns. They were that good!

I agree :)
I made them for the first time the other day and they are scrummy! They really did taste like chip shop chips imo but without all that horrible grease.
Am going to make them tomorrow with gammon and egg. excited :p

Just made my first batch of SW chips - cud live off them :D

I'm afraid somebody is going to tell me there has been a terrible mistake and they are full of syns. They were that good!

Please can you give me your method, no matter how many times I make them they turn out terrible.

Is there a specific potatoe you need to use??

Thanks in advance:confused:

I've been using maris piper. I slice them up into chips, put them in a big microwavable bowl with a little water in the bottom and cover with cling film. Microwave for about 8 minutes (CatD), stirring half way through.

Once "parboiled" in the microwave, remove and drain. With the "chips" still in the bowl, spray with frylite and toss around so they get covered. I add in seasoning too.

Spread out on a chip tray mesh and cook on gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes.

i wonder if a lack of mesh is where i go wrong as they always stick to the baking tray when i do them!!! Thanks

I just use a baking tray.

I par boil in a pot for about 5 minutes then drain and leave for about 10 minutes. I think it is important for the steam to escape before they go in the oven, as it makes them crispier. I whack the oven up to full too.

The mesh is great, cooks them both sides without having to turn them over and it's much quicker too.

TheMissus said:
I've been using maris piper. I slice them up into chips, put them in a big microwavable bowl with a little water in the bottom and cover with cling film. Microwave for about 8 minutes (CatD), stirring half way through.

Once "parboiled" in the microwave, remove and drain. With the "chips" still in the bowl, spray with frylite and toss around so they get covered. I add in seasoning too.

This sound fab!!! Really easy too I'm defo gonna try this out soon

What seasoning do you use just salt and pepper or any special herbs and spices??

Dead excited!!! Just bought my mesh oven tray :)

Thanks very much, will try the chip mesh in future with the maris pipers!!!:)

Lol, it doesn't fall nope! I spray with frylight first whilst in the bowl, get a big plastic spoon and toss them about in the frylite so they're all coated, then season. The seasoning sticks to the frylite. I use Knorr Aromat and sometimes paprika or cajun seasoning, they're nice with plain old salt and pepper too.

I wouldn't be without the mesh now, I cook everything in the oven on it...vege burgers, sausages, chips and then my bf uses it for battered fish etc...it's just so much easier, no sticking, no turning things over...defo my must have, especially for the SW chips.

Brilliant...will report back when mine arrives :)

Back