Chips

Shelliewoo83

Silver Member
Anyone ever made chips from swede? I'm doing red days and want to find an alternative to potato's

Can you use sweet potato on red days? Or butter nut squash wedges? Not tried swede xx

Shelliewoo83 said:
Anyone ever made chips from swede? I'm doing red days and want to find an alternative to potato's

Butternut squash makes delicious chips!!
Mmmmmmm
Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Sweet potato chips are gorgeous! :)

Im making celeriac ones at the w/e, not tried that yet :)

ermintrude said:
Sweet potato chips are gorgeous! :)

Im making celeriac ones at the w/e, not tried that yet :)

Ive never had celeriac - what's it similar too?

Kx

Enjoyed the swede chips, may try butternut squash ones next- only problem is I can never peel the bloody things!

Shelliewoo83 said:
Enjoyed the swede chips, may try butternut squash ones next- only problem is I can never peel the bloody things!

Stand it up and use a sharp knife in downward action away from you,that's how I do it,work way round squash x

Sweet potato and parsnips are not free on red days.

Swede, celeriac and butternut squash are.

I find that as far as superfree/free on red veg goes, the best one to use for chips/roasties is butternut squash - although it doesnt go remotely crispy. Celeriac was okay, but wasnt at all keen on the swede version.

Celeriac is the root part of celery btw - tastes a little celery like, but not totally (I don't like raw celery so wouldnt like celeriac if it tasted too strongly of celery)

Oh does it? Oh boo, I hate celery :( I havent had it before as chips but Im sure I've put it in a stew or something and didnt taste any celeriness. Hopefully it will be OK.

ermintrude said:
Oh does it? Oh boo, I hate celery :( I havent had it before as chips but Im sure I've put it in a stew or something and didnt taste any celeriness. Hopefully it will be OK.

I hate celery - yucky yuck!! The smell is yuck too!!

BNS - I cut the top off & cut into rings- I always discard the bulbous bit with the seeds - don't like the stringey part and cant be a**ed to faff about with it!!
Then I used my peeling/paring knife to cut the skin off ( way to hard to peel with a peeler for my ickle hands )

They don't go crispy - they kinda caramelise & don't require any parboiling at all - I love them!! And BNS mash also yummy

Kx

mandy296 said:
Celeriac is the root part of celery btw - tastes a little celery like, but not totally (I don't like raw celery so wouldnt like celeriac if it tasted too strongly of celery)

Hi Mandy - just wiki'd it & celeriac is a root vegetable in it's own right But a kind of celery & is known as celery root . :-

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Celeriac (Apium graveolens rapaceum) is also known as celery root, turnip-rooted celery[1] or knob celery. It is a kind of celery, grown as a root vegetable for its large and bulbous hypocotyl rather than for its stem and leaves. The swollen hypocotyl is typically used when it is about 10-12 cm in diameter; about the size of a large potato. Unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight.
Celeriac may be used raw or cooked. It has a tough, furrowed, outer surface which is usually sliced off before use because it is too rough to peel. Celeriac has a celery flavour, and is often used as a flavouring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own, usually mashed, or used in casseroles, gratins and baked dishes. It can be roasted like a potato, giving it a crispy edge.
The hollow stalk of the upper plant is sometimes cut into drinking straw lengths, rinsed, and used in the serving of tomato-based drinks such as the Bloody Mary cocktail.[citation needed] The tomato juice is lightly flavoured with celery as it passes through the stalk.
Celeriac is not as widely used as some other root vegetables, perhaps because it is harder to prepare and clean.

Ah BNS peeling, that took me a while :rolleyes: Ive mastered it now tho! :cool: Hold it to your body, bulb end on your tum and peel the flat bit towards you, with the peeler. Then do the ends at a right angle to that ie round the circumference at each end, no need to go all the way to the root. Then top and tail it and chop it in half longways. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, slice longways into four or five long strips then chop. Ta da! :) :D

...or just don't bother peeling BNS - the skin melts down when you cook it and is tender and edible. Hence why I make BNS soup often now I know I don't have to peel the blinking thing!

Ahhhhhhh!!! I wish Id known that about three hours ago before I started me BNS falafels! :D

Back