Cruise PP Chocolate orange cupcakes with orange icing

Ooh, tonight I had a play with the Vanilla moist cake recipe, instead of adding a vanilla yoghurt, I added an orange one, and three tablespoons of cocoa powder, then poured the mixture into a cupcake pan and baked. While I was waiting I mixed up some "icing". I didn't really do quantities, more like ratios. The same amount of quark and the lowest fat ricotta I could find (Morrisons own brand is winning currently), sweetener and orange flavouring to taste.

They are gorgeous just out of the oven with a dollop of the icing on top. I've had two already and had to come away from the kitchen to stop me contemplating my third :D

Last edited:
Oh yes looks super-delicious - but not exactly Dukan Friendly??

Cocoa? I think we are allowed one (two?) TEASPOONS of low-fat (very hard to find in UK) cocoa per day. This is a 'tolerated' item that should be avoided in any case.

How many cupcakes does this make? You might be allowed about 1 day if it made 9...

Orange yoghurt - officially a no-no too as it's a 'fruit yoghurt'

RICOTTA? The average fat content of this is 10%. The lowest I could spot is 8% - have you got a special reduced fat version there?
I think for the icing stick with 0% Quark - the Goldenacre (Asda) or Tesco ones have a nice stiff texture that would work just great, no need for Ricotta.

Sorry I'm a spoilsport!

Oh blimey, I missed the tblsp bit for the cocoa and hadn't realised about the ricotta. That's a shame. Maybe cut back on the cocoa and use Quark for the icing instead of ricotta?

Yes that sounds do-able - I have just checked:
Cocoa: 2 ts per day max (1 ts is one dose of a 'tolerated item'), and only the fat-reduced one (I think that's 11% fat), not the 'normal' you can buy in most supermarkets here (22% fat).

You are only really allowed 2 doses of tolerated items per day, only in cruise, and they can cause you to stall, so generally we advise people to only use them when they're desperate. Fruit muller lights also count as tolerated items so if you are adding in one of those you can only add in one ts of cocoa - or make sure you don't eat all the muffins in one day - but check the bran rations (sorry can't recall the vanilla cake recipe)

Oh, I was under the impression that it was 1 tbsp allowed a day for cocoa, my bad!

I made 12 cupcakes, but I reckon they'd easy make 15 or maybe even more as I only have a 12 cupcake tray and I was forcing the batter in so I didn't have to do another batch.

The ricotta I have is 6%, still not good I know, but I figured as a small amount it'd be ok for a treat as I do love ricotta. Mind you thinking about it today I think it'd probably be better with just the quark as the ricotta gave a slightly chalky texture to the icing.

I suppose to be on the safe side with the yoghurt a vanilla one could be used and a tsp of orange flavour added to give it the orange taste.

Oh, I was under the impression that it was 1 tbsp allowed a day for cocoa, my bad!

I made 12 cupcakes, but I reckon they'd easy make 15 or maybe even more as I only have a 12 cupcake tray and I was forcing the batter in so I didn't have to do another batch.

The ricotta I have is 6%, still not good I know, but I figured as a small amount it'd be ok for a treat as I do love ricotta. Mind you thinking about it today I think it'd probably be better with just the quark as the ricotta gave a slightly chalky texture to the icing.

I suppose to be on the safe side with the yoghurt a vanilla one could be used and a tsp of orange flavour added to give it the orange taste.

Please let us know if you come up with a lovely, more Dukan-friendly version that works, Elle. Sometimes it takes a little bit of fiddling and experimentation, but can be well worth the effort.

Inspired by this recipes I tried to revamp my boring everyday unflavoured muffins by making them into spiced orange:
add 1 small ts of mixed spice and a tiny bit of orange flavouring to your usual muffin mix. Maybe up the sweetener a bit as well. VERY nice, I can recommend. And no tolerated items ;)

Anja - Which orange flavouring to you use, please? I haven't managed to find a good suitable one.

Ahh sorry, I've got a French 'Vahine' brand one imported from Belgium a long time ago... It's alcohol-based but I decided that 1/2 ts in cooking is allowed as it evaporates! I've also got a Lemon one. I think I've seen citrus flavourings (oils?) in Lakeland Shops?

Ahh sorry, I've got a French 'Vahine' brand one imported from Belgium a long time ago... It's alcohol-based but I decided that 1/2 ts in cooking is allowed as it evaporates! I've also got a Lemon one. I think I've seen citrus flavourings (oils?) in Lakeland Shops?

Thanks, Anja. I shall take another look for them. You're right about the alcohol. Besides, I only ever use tiny amounts of these flavourings so it should be fine.

I made them again tonight with only 1 tbsp of cocoa and a vanilla yoghurt and orange flavouring. They're still pretty good, but I think I prefer the version with the orange yoghurt in. It makes 15 cupcakes, so long as I don't eat them all in one go I figure it'll be ok :D

anjuschka said:
Yes that sounds do-able - I have just checked:
Cocoa: 2 ts per day max (1 ts is one dose of a 'tolerated item'), and only the fat-reduced one (I think that's 11% fat), not the 'normal' you can buy in most supermarkets here (22% fat).

You are only really allowed 2 doses of tolerated items per day, only in cruise, and they can cause you to stall, so generally we advise people to only use them when they're desperate. Fruit muller lights also count as tolerated items so if you are adding in one of those you can only add in one ts of cocoa - or make sure you don't eat all the muffins in one day - but check the bran rations (sorry can't recall the vanilla cake recipe)

Hi there I have the books but where does it have a list of tolerated items? I haven't heard of this before? Thanks x

Back