Chopped fruit?

buckeejit

Hi all, just found out that smoothies and pureed juice count as syns. What about chopped fruit in a fruit salad? Is is free? I've got a chopped melon and pear fruit salad that I've just made.

buckeejit said:
Hi all, just found out that smoothies and pureed juice count as syns. What about chopped fruit in a fruit salad? Is is free? I've got a chopped melon and pear fruit salad that I've just made.

Hiya
I cut my fruit up to make a fruit salad, and I don't syn it. As far as I know fruit is only synned if pureed/mashed or cooked/stewed.

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It is because when you blend fruit it becomes far easier to overconsume calories that could negatively affect your weight loss. How long would it take you to eat 6 or 7 oranges and how long would they fill you up? But if you juice those oranges your get a glass of orange juice that is gone in a minute and does not fill you up for any length of time. So to protect your calorie intake, SW say that if you puree, blend or mash fruit you need to syn it.

It is because when you blend fruit it becomes far easier to overconsume calories that could negatively affect your weight loss. How long would it take you to eat 6 or 7 oranges and how long would they fill you up? But if you juice those oranges your get a glass of orange juice that is gone in a minute and does not fill you up for any length of time. So to protect your calorie intake, SW say that if you puree, blend or mash fruit you need to syn it.

So even though, I use 1 banana in a milkshake, I would still have to syn it??

Im really confused now lol!! :confused:

Yes, because it's been blended so it won't satisfy you in the same way that a whole banana would.

So it doesn't really have any syns in it?? they just say it has to stop you eating too many????

:confused::confused::confused:

So if i don't have more than one blended banana it won't really be any syns?????

The whole plan is based around eating free foods that are low in calories and satisfy your appetite. If you blend fruit it is far too easy to overeat it as you don't get the same satisfaction as you would with whole pieces of fruit. If you sat down and ate 8 oranges you would most likely be full after just 2 or 3 whereas blended you could drink the juice in just seconds, that's a lot of calories on something that won't fill you up, you will get a sugar rush from the natural sugars and be hungry again 30 mins later.

Therefore it is always syns if you blend it, even if it's just one. Sorry, but if you do it you are bending the rules of the plan, your blended banana won't fill you up and you will just find yourself hungrier later on.

You're also removing alot of the bulk and fibre when you cook, mash or juice fruit. The bulk is what makes them superfree foods, as this is what fills you up. if you think about grapes vs raisins for example. You couldn't eat as many grapes as you could raisins and the only difference is that the raisins have no water in them, and more concetrated sugar content.

No problem!! Now if anyone can explain to me why tomatoes aren't synned when you cook them seeing as they are a fruit my life would be complete! :)

Back