Christmas Day SW Menu Challenge

Frontier-Phil

Silver Member
Ok you lot, Santa sacks at the ready LOL!

I would like to start a pre Christmas challege for all those who would like to get in the frame of mind for planning a SW menu. :eek:

Ok here it is:

You need to post a full days food menu including treats and stick within 15 syns for the whole day. Thsi would also include your drinks.

You will have to post a thread containing :

Breakfast
Main Dinner ( 3 courses)
Tea/Supper ( two courses)

Morning/Afternoon/Snacks (Sweet & Savory)

All drinks for the day

The menu must show quantity/weight/and syn value.

The challenge not only is to stick within the 15 syns but to be as creative and seasonal as possible.

Good luck I hope you will all have a go.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:Christmas02r:

Phil xxx

Last edited:
hmmm will have a think on this! but i think an EE day would be best for me :)

It certainly does seem like it should be EE all the way :D

I love a challenge Phil, so I shall give it a go, it will be interesting and creative, thank you for organising it.

When/where do you want us to post this challenge?

What a fab post Phil! I agree, EE day all the way.

But, I will be honest right now...

...my sister will be 8 months pregnant at Christmas and so, I'll probably offer to have all the family again this year (I cooked for 10 last year and given I am used to cooking for 2, it was hard work but also really fab!).

So...if it's a big family affair I probably won't sticky to SW that day much. Oh don't get me wrong, good intention will wake up with me on Christmas morning, but I know that if Mum makes her famous stuffing again and given my brother-in-law has cornish clotted cream on most stuff...I may break. Just might though lol.

But I'll have a think and get back to you...even if I break I might be able to help other, stronger, people ;-)

Hehe xx

Well, I'm going away for Christmas for a whole wonderful week and I will be going out for a super duper 5 course Christmas lunch so......

In the words of the Dragons - "I'm out"

Happy to offer some fab SW suggestions to others though :)

Oooooh brekkie: bacon butties on white nimble bread (pfft if I can FIND any) 1HEB with 2 syns of marge and 1 syn of HP

Lunch: Syn free mushroom soup made with chicken stock, mushrooms, carrots, shallots, seasoning and whizz up in a blender.

TURKEYLURKEY with all the trimmings! Make your own pigs in blankets by wrapping bacon medallions around pork sausagemeat parcels made from Morrisons Eat Smart pork sausage. Make roasties with frylight! Make lots of carrot and swede mash, peas, couple of syns worth of stuffing!

Use a couple of syns for cornflour for the gravy

Dessert: Pfft do YOU want a fruit salad? No. Have a nice spoonful of Christmas Pud (4.5 syns for 28g) bulk it up with tangerine segments and a dollop of low fat creme fraiche (2 syns) and sprinkle with cinnamon.

You have 3 syns left to spend on roses/quality street/after eights. I don't drink booze so happy days!

Oooooh brekkie: bacon butties on white nimble bread (pfft if I can FIND any) 1HEB with 2 syns of marge and 1 syn of HP

Lunch: Syn free mushroom soup made with chicken stock, mushrooms, carrots, shallots, seasoning and whizz up in a blender.

TURKEYLURKEY with all the trimmings! Make your own pigs in blankets by wrapping bacon medallions around pork sausagemeat parcels made from Morrisons Eat Smart pork sausage. Make roasties with frylight! Make lots of carrot and swede mash, peas, couple of syns worth of stuffing!

Use a couple of syns for cornflour for the gravy

Dessert: Pfft do YOU want a fruit salad? No. Have a nice spoonful of Christmas Pud (4.5 syns for 28g) bulk it up with tangerine segments and a dollop of low fat creme fraiche (2 syns) and sprinkle with cinnamon.

You have 3 syns left to spend on roses/quality street/after eights. I don't drink booze so happy days!

I'm impressed honey! Thanks for the share xxx

Heh I forgot to put left over turkey with salad and pickles for supper, and use your milk on HEA for lots of cups of glorious tea, OR use it for a wodge of cheese to go with your leftover turkey sups! (and maybe a peppermint tea to aid the digestion after dinner, heh)

My day will be Extra Easy! This year I’m not drinking, as I’m on standby for work, so it means I can eat my syns…woohoo!

Breakfast
I think this is a lovely festive breakfast! We usually have something along these lines. Often with champagne! But not this year.
Smoked salmon – around half a pack of trimmings. Free
Scrambled eggs – 2 eggs. Free
Served on half a toasted wholemeal muffin – 4 syns

Lunch
The main event! Little else food required during the day after this lot…
Starter:
Melon wrapped in Parma ham - ½ syn (per 28g of ham – will probably be less than this but to be fair, will count the syns anyway!)
Main:
Roast turkey (skin removed) 2 slices of breast meat - Free
Roasted root vegetables (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, butternut squash), done in frylight, with fresh herbs and balsamic vinegar – Free
Brussel sprouts cooked with bacon (trimmed) and onion – Free
Mashed carrot and swede - Free
Pigs in blankets – Morrisons eat smart pork sausage (cut in half) wrapped in bacon (trimmed) – Free
Gravy – a good glug! Made with 1tbsp cornflour for the lot, which shared between the family will probably work out at ½syn per portion.
1tbsp cranberry sauce – 1 syn
Dessert:
Christmas ‘cake’ made as per the classic Weetabix cake recipe but jazzed up a bit to make it more Christmassy, and served with Quark sweetened with Splenda. – 1 slice. 3½syns

Supper
Just picking really! Probably won’t be needed, but I haven’t used my HEs elsewhere. So I’ll eat it! And cos Phil said I have to…
Sandwich made with 2 slices of wholemeal bread (B), leftover turkey and a wedge of cheese (A) and salad, for some token SS foods!
2 satsumas – Free

Snacks
Couple of satsumas/tangerines mid-morning – Free
Home made filo pastry mince pie – 4 syns

Drinks
Water, sugarfree cordial, diet coke, diet lemonade...nothing exciting as I'll be a non-drinker this Christmas!

Total syns: 13½ - that’s 1½ left for a celebration choccie or something!

Yerrrs well done Hellie!! I am planning on having 25th, 26th, 28th and New Year's Eve off this year anyway! 28th is OH's birthday and a band I promote are having their big Christmas knees up!

But I *will* make mainly SW friendly choices when it comes to dinner.

I usually allow myself christmas off too, but as it's either my or OH's parents cooking, I have little control over how the food is cooked, so I have to have it how it comes!
When they get old and start coming to us for Crimbo, they'll get SW friendly food and darn well like it! LOL!

20th Dec is my birthday, so I usually let rip then too. Sometimes I don't rein it in from 20th right through til new year...and that's when I see baaaad news on the scales at the post xmas WI.

But I think this year I'll just make sure I eat SW friendly choices the rest of the time, and keep my portions relatively small, but still enjoy it all. Do some exercise and face the damage afterwards. What's the worst that can happen? 4/5lbs? It'd be worth it!

My day will be Extra Easy! This year I’m not drinking, as I’m on standby for work, so it means I can eat my syns…woohoo!

Breakfast
I think this is a lovely festive breakfast! We usually have something along these lines. Often with champagne! But not this year.

Lunch
Starter:
Melon wrapped in Parma ham - ½ syn (per 28g of ham – will probably be less than this but to be fair, will count the syns anyway!)
Main:
Roasted root vegetables (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, butternut squash), done in frylight, with fresh herbs and balsamic vinegar – Free
Pigs in blankets – Morrisons eat smart pork sausage (cut in half) wrapped in bacon (trimmed) – Free
Gravy – a good glug! Made with 1tbsp cornflour for the lot, which shared between the family will probably work out at ½syn per portion.
Dessert:
Christmas ‘cake’ made as per the classic Weetabix cake recipe but jazzed up a bit to make it more Christmassy, and served with Quark sweetened with Splenda. – 1 slice. 3½syns

Supper
Just picking really! Probably won’t be needed, but I haven’t used my HEs elsewhere. So I’ll eat it! And cos Phil said I have to…
Sandwich made with 2 slices of wholemeal bread (B), leftover turkey and a wedge of cheese (A) and salad, for some token SS foods!
2 satsumas – Free

Snacks

Drinks
Water, sugarfree cordial, diet coke, diet lemonade...nothing exciting as I'll be a non-drinker this Christmas!

Great menu Hellie, i dont know if i could manage this cause i need syns for wine!!!! helppppppppp

An extra easy day for me too - and I'm doing the cooking for 8 (and two dogs!)!

Breakfast: 2x hovis wholemeal (HEB) toasted with fried egg (done in fry light), roasted cherry tomatoes, bacon and Joe's sausages

Lunch (around 2pm and usually don't eat after this):
Starter: Turkey broth (stock, turkey thigh, carrots, leeks, potatoes, rice)

Followed by a melon bowl with berries

Main: Turkey Breast, pigs in blankets (Joe's chipolotas wrapped in bacon), stuffing made with Joe's sausagemeat and 3x hovis wholemeal as breadcrumbs (just under 1 syn each so will round up), roasted veg (red onions, carrots, parsnips, courgettes, peppers), roast potatoes (done in fry light with rosemary and thyme), steamed brussel sprouts and broccoli, gravy (1 syn by the time it is divided by 8).

Dessert: Will buy dessert in for everyone else but I'll make an Eton mess by breaking a meringue nest into a glass (3 syns) and mix in some frozen berries, sweetener, Greek 0% yog (2.5 syns) and 2 tbsp squirty cream (half a syn).

I will use my HEA for 42g red.fat cheese from the cheese board with pickles and possibly chopped chipolatas on a cocktaik stick.

I don't usually drink but may have a couple of vodka's (5 syns) with soda water and tesco no added sugar mexican lime squash.

Breakfast

Lunch
Starter:
Main:
Dessert:

Supper
2 satsumas – Free

Snacks

Drinks

Tried to rep you but have to spread the love. This is SUCH a great post. Well done Hellie! You star!

Come you lot !!!!

Great menus so far, lets get those juices flowing for a creative & SW Christmas menu for the whole day

Please post on this thread

Lets get as many as possible

I will post a vote for the best ones 1st 2nd 3rd

I will design a Minimins Christmas 2009 Menu Challenge Sticker for the winners profile.

Phil xxxxx

Back