Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME - Weight loss challenges - Any advice??

wannabeonstage

Sorry if this is a duplication of previous threads, but i'm a newby and not quite sure what i'm doing yet! :eek:

I have tried every diet under the sun with often limited success. In desperation went to see GP who suggested Low GI & trip to dietitian to learn health eating with normal foods after years of dieting. The suggestion was that the boom/bust cycle of CFS is similar to the Diet/Binge cycles of dieting.

Am I am having quite a bad relapse at the moment and am home anyway I'm getting started tomorrow.

Anyone else in similar challenges have any advice??
Thank you x

Hi Wannabeonstage,

I just started on Low GI this week after hearing it's good for PCOS sufferers (which I believe I may be - undiagnosed though as I haven't spoken to GP about it).
I haven't a huge amount to lose - maybe a 1 to 1.5 stones (see how I go) and exercise doing classes at the gym most days. So far I've been amazed at how 'in control' I've felt and been. Honestly. NO sweet cravings yet at all (and yesterday I sat in a room surrounded by plates of biscuits at work and didn't have a single one!

Did you get a book? I bought 'Living the GI diet' by Rick Gallop and it's lovely and clear, but I've been tweaking my own recipes to fit in with GI instead of using ones in the book yet - I've got end-of-term-stress-syndrone at the moment. When we break up for the hols I'll try some more adventurous stuff.

Beccy

Hi and welcome. :) I have had ME/CFS for coming up on 6 years now and started dieting in January 2011. I lasted with Slimming World for 6 months and then moved to low GI eating because I'd done it before and knew it helped me keep my blood sugar stable.

I've just done a post in my diary to someone else who is thinking about starting low GI with ME/CFS, have a read and see if it helps at all. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

http://www.minimins.com/gi-diet-support-forum/223784-plumfoodies-diary-ramblings-64.html#post5363346

For what it's worth, when I am being good and sticking to low GI properly I find that my mindless eating (I can't say it was binging, because it wasn't that severe, but it was definitely more than it should have been) is not a problem. It used to be that when I was home and feeling poorly I would just chomp, chomp, chomp on things all day (some healthy, like cheesy oatcakes, some not, like jaffa cakes by the tubeful), but when I'm in the low GI groove I don't have the inclination to do this and don't crave naughty things unless it's TOTM.

plum x

Back