Chubby child - advice please!

I genuinely believe that I am overweight because I was brought up in a house where weight was an issue, and where naughty foods were banned at times. This meant I sometimes sneaked food off to eat in secret (I remember eating a whole Sara Lee gateau on a walk once so no-one would know I was eating it). I think that a better option would have been to have puddings etc if the good stuff was eaten first (mind you, that is still treating it as a special treat, not normal food, isn't it?).

There are loads of scientific studies where kids put in a room full of food will automatically eat more healthy stuff than bad stuff. They will eat sweets, crisps etc if they're there, but it will be far outweiged by healthy stuff.

Having said all this, my son eats quite unhealthily really. I don't worry about it from a weight p.o.v because he's an absolute rake, but he's probably not that healthy!

One of my major reasons for wanting to lose weight is that I don't want my kids, who are 4 and 20 months, to see that mummy has a problem with food. I just want them to grow up in a house where all foods are treated equally. Perhaps a little naive, but that's my dream!

Your daughter is obviously very active, and it does sound like most of the foods she eats are healthyish. The cooking sounds like a great idea. Anyway, I should think it's fairly common to have a bit of puppy fat at ten. I teach secondary age kids, and they quite often do some serious slimming down in year 7 and 8 (age 11 and 12), as they lose that puppy fat and start to grow up.

You're obviously a very caring, lovely mummy though!

Back