Citric Acid

Kiika

On the subject of Citric Acid in drinks interrupting ketosis. I just remembered from my time on the Atkins diet that the only fruit juice you were allowed was Lemon Juice, which is high in citric acid!?

Does anyone know the science behind why everyone says citric acid will interrupt ketosis? The Atkins diet relies on ketosis for it to work at all so if this is true, wouldn't lemon juice be forbidden on that plan?

Just curios as to the actual scientific reasoning behind this well versed fact. Or is this one of those things that one person has said and it has been taken as gospel by others and spread around without actual proof??

I couldnt find any information backing the theory up online, maybe someone has a link to a study or something they could share?

Thanks! :)

Citric acid is used in the metabolic system to produce energy. I guess by adding more citric acid you hinder the natural process and carbohydrates metabolism slows. This would also increase your appetite.

MEant to add.... no idea why atkins diet would suggest this as it seems to contradict other vlcds.... Unless my scientific knowledge is dated. lol

Atkins isnt a VLCD though. So many people seem to assume if its ok on Atkins its ok on a VLCD and its just not the case. A lot of Atkins rules dont apply to VLCDs

Someone on Exante at the weekend had what they called a Working Solutions Day, they ate Atkins style food 'to stay in ketosis' ignoring the fact the stuff was high in cals, fat and everything else.

Ahh, I see. It's a shame that S&S don't offer more info, but I suppose that's what people on CD etc pay for and us S&S peeps dont.

Thanks everyone! :)

Back