Clothing confusion.....

emily87

Onwards and downwards!
I am really confused and pretty fed up at the moment.

I have lost over 2 stone but am STILL wearing the same size 16 clothes! :(

I went from size 18 down to a 16 when I reached between 13 and 13 1/2 stone. I am now 10st 13.5 and I still cant wear size 14 clothes comfortably. I just dont understand! I mean, yes my size 16 trousers are on the big side and I usually have to wear a belt, but size 14 is too tight. I couldn't sit in the office at work all day in a size 14 pair of trousers without feeling extremely uncomfortable.

I cant face going clothes shopping either because I've been doing so well with my weight loss over the last few months, it would be devastating to be trying on clothes and find that size 16 is all that fits still. :(

My initial target weight is 10st, which isn't that far away now. But I cant see that I will be happy with myself once I reach that weight. I really want to be back to the size 10/12 I was when I got married 6 years ago. And what is even more confusing is that I was between 10st and 10 1/2st then :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I highly doubt that I am going to go from a size 16 to a size 10/12 after losing 13.5lbs and getting down to 10st......

Sorry, moan over, lol. Just veeeeery confused.......:confused:

Clothes sizes and weight relationship is very confusing i think, i dont understand how someone could weigh 15 stone for example and be a size 20 and then someone could weigh 17 stone and be an 18. Not very good examples, but i hope you know what i mean. That is something i dont think i will ever understand! Nevertheless, dont let the fact that your not yet a 14 get you down, it will come in time! & maybe by losing that 13.5lb you will be losing the weight in the right places and could become less than a 14, if you know what i mean? :) dont be discouraged & go shopping and treat yourself! you know you have done amazing and maybe in some shops you will suprise yourself and fit into a 14! what shops do you shop in? as some sizes do come up small in some shops! xx

Hi Kelz. Thank you for the support :) I think I just thought that I would surely drop at least one dress size after losing 2stone, but you are right the weight might start coming off in the right places. :) I've always been bottom half heavy, lol.

To be honest, I don't shop anywhere. I really cant remember the last time I went clothes shopping. The only time I have bought any sort of clothes in the last year was because I needed a new pair of jeans. I got them from New Look. I guess it would just be your usual highstreet shops I would go into. Think I need a female friend to go shopping with too, my husband loses his patience quite quickly, lol.

New look are really skinny on the sizes! I'm a biggish 14 now (ok bursting out of them after regaining quite a lot!!) but I skipped 16 entirely! It was 18's for ages an ages till I was bout ready to scream then one day the 16's fit.....my friend was adamant they were too big so we had a go with the 14's and they fit!! I actually virtually wet myself in peacocks lol

Try a pair from asda! They design based on real women!! And remember that nobody can see your clothes labels!! What size you wear means nothing compared to how you feel in them! If you aren't comfy in smaller trousers for the office yet then buy yourself a slinky pencil skirt (they are a bit roomier) and get those nice new slim legs out!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've given up on clothes sizes. I used to be a tight 16 in new look, 5 months later I was DELIGHTED when I was able to fit into the size 6 super skinny jeans. However, the pair I tried on was a stone blue colour, which I wasn't too keen on. So I went to get the same trousers but in black and I couldn't get the button on the 12 shut! And I'm 8 and a half stone, so not a 14! I really think they just go 'eney meenie minny mo' when choosing sizes these days. Like legomom said, the size doesn't matter, aslong as they fit you :)

new look is very bad for sizing! i can wear a size 8 from there, but its only just fitting me properly, i normally buy the age 14 if i buy any jeans or pants from there and they are big on waist, yet the age 13 is peferct waist wise, too short in leg lenght. i cant win with new look.

adsa are good for their sizing, they seem very good to me anyway. same with peacocks, they are good with their sizes! the smallest peacocks do is often big on me, so you could easily be at least 2 sizes less in there :)

Some shops are notorious for smaller sizing - topshop miss selfridge new look , whereas marks and spencers principals asdas & wallis are more generous. There's just no logic to it :0/

Maybe it's a marketing ploy lol the feel good factor ... Ooooh! I can fit in a size 10 in this store yay!

Many clothes shops have adopted 'vanity sizing' which basically means that a size 12 is a lot bigger than it used to be and all the others sizes as well. This has lead to there being a huge variance between sizes from different retailers so a size 10 in one shop will be like a 16 in another. Asda in particular are big while River Island are smaller.

I've given up on clothes sizes. I used to be a tight 16 in new look, 5 months later I was DELIGHTED when I was able to fit into the size 6 super skinny jeans. However, the pair I tried on was a stone blue colour, which I wasn't too keen on. So I went to get the same trousers but in black and I couldn't get the button on the 12 shut! And I'm 8 and a half stone, so not a 14! I really think they just go 'eney meenie minny mo' when choosing sizes these days. Like legomom said, the size doesn't matter, aslong as they fit you :)

I've had that in New Look too, I remember when I was slimmer trying on two pairs of jeans from there: same cut, same inside leg, same size just diffent colours. The stone wash ones fitted perfectally, yet the indigo ones wouldn't even get past my hips :confused:

Emily, I know how you feel, I've had exactly the same problem, 2 1/2 stone weightloss has translated into 1 clothes size down for me, whereas a friend of mine who recently lost a stone went down 3 dress sizes - Grr! I agree with what the others have said about different shops varying their sizes quite alot, but also, (this sounds really silly) when I did go down a clothes size I think I left it way too long because I got a bit too used to how my larger clothes felt so I'd automatically still pick up my old size and just because the clothes weren't falling off I'd assume it was the right size even though they might be a bit too baggy. Eventually when I went shopping with a friend she forced me to try a smaller size and she was right, it fit better even though it took a bit of getting used to.

Agree with all the above. Clothes sizings are a nightmare.

Another thing no one has mentioned is that jeans are always "small" when freshly washed and ironed. I had a couple of pairs of U.S. 8s that I kept trying on, and no go... then, one day, I kept them on for an hour and needed a belt once they relaxed! Try it!

Maintainer said:
Agree with all the above. Clothes sizings are a nightmare.

Another thing no one has mentioned is that jeans are always "small" when freshly washed and ironed. I had a couple of pairs of U.S. 8s that I kept trying on, and no go... then, one day, I kept them on for an hour and needed a belt once they relaxed! Try it!

Yep especially as so many styles are tight fitting now!! You shoe horn yourself into them but then they are sliding down by lunchtime!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Clothes sizing in shops is just totally off IMO. I have skirt from River Island that is a size 18 which fits me perfectly and I also have a dress from there in a size 10 which fits me perfectly.

I'm currently sitting here in a size 14 skirt from matalan yet I couldn't get their size 18 jeans to zip up.

So I'm somewhere between a size 10 and a 20 lol.

Just go for the item which fits you best and ignore the label I think!

Back