cod roe...

abigail09

Gold Member
i bought some cod roe to try since theyre free on red but i dont know what to do with them! i just opened the tin because i thought you could eat them straight out like tuna but not sure if im meant to cook them or not. any suggestions?

Never had tinned cod roe, but we used to have tinned herring roes a lot when I was a child. Mum used to coat them in flour and fry them. Then we would have them on toast, usually for Saturday tea. That brings back memories!!

My mum used to get them and ate them cold, in fact she used to have it with salad

I've had tin of cod roe in the cupboard for about 2 years! I've never had them before either but my friend eats them often, she slices it up and fries it in a little bit of oil and has it with chips and mushy peas. She's not on a diet though but I did think that I'd try frying it in frylight, I've just never got around to it.

The Princes pressed cod roe is 4 syns for 200g can though, fresh cod roe is free.

Last edited:
so 'pressed' cod roe is 4 syns. damn! thought it was fre i think that is what i bought

I am having Cod Roe tonight, and I just microwave it for a minute or two just to heat it through as it is already cooked....

It is 1 syn per 100g though, so make sure you syn it.

A 200g tin of John West pressed cod roe = 2 syns.

Back