Coffee Shop Culture Article

icemoose

The Diet Guy
coffee-health.gif

Many of us are increasingly confused about coffee and its impact on our health, according to a recent survey of over 1,600 people.
The survey found that less than 30% of people know that coffee contributes to our daily intake of fluid, and only 16% know that coffee is a good source of dietary antioxidants. Myths about coffee still prevail, with over 60% of us wrongly thinking it is addictive.
To combat this confusion, the British Coffee Association produced a guide to coffee and health.
For example, did you know:
  • Coffee contains high levels of antioxidants compared to other popular drinks such as tea and fruit juice (antioxidants are thought to protect cells in the body from damage)
  • Drinking a cup of coffee with an ibuprofen tablet can increase the painkilling effect
  • Some research has suggested that drinking coffee on a regular basis may help protect against a range of diseases including type 2 diabetes, liver cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
GP, Dr Sarah Jarvis, who authored a section of the guide, said: “There are so many myths about coffee that people worry unnecessarily about enjoying it. In fact moderate coffee consumption of 4-5 cups per day is perfectly safe for the majority of people and may confer health benefits.”
Recent scientific research supports the beneficial effects of coffee. The researchers attributed the potential protective effects of coffee to its role as a good source of dietary antioxidants.

Reference: British Coffee Associaton website 2007

Thanks Mike, that was quite enlightening. I was clearly one of the ignorant 1600 - I definitely didn't know about the antioxidants or increasing the effectiveness of ibuprofen.

I'll try it next time I have a headache!

Back