Commuting temptations

scraggyanna

Just wondering if anyone else suffers as I do...every time I travel into London, Victoria station is trying to tempt me and ruin my healthy eating.

Millies cookies scream at me, and the Cornishc Pasty company is dragging me in.

So far, I have being very proud of my resistance, and find that packing lots of healthy food, and shaking my pots of fruit at the worst offenders keeps them quiet!!

Wouldn't it be nice if stations were full of salad stations and fresh fruit stalls?!

It would be, but they aren't!
They do sell fresh fruit though. Well, the stations I go to do anyway but they charge a fortune!
I always take some fruit with me, anyway and muller lights to shake off any temptations.

I have to say because of its size, Victoria is one of the worst for food outlets...I haven't even visited recently and I can recall at least 11 food stands on the mainline forecourt. Not including the outside starbucks (if that's still there!). Maybe if temptation really gets the worst of you nip into M&S...they usually have lots of fresh food in, and there is the option of fruit, salad and vegetable snacks. I love their houmous. Don't all shout at once, I know it's synful. But for the carrot sticks with houmous I'd be proud of myself for buying that. It's not the best snack but I know that I'm not going to exceed my syns by having one and it's something that I enjoy. They do yoghurts and stuff too, which is also better than many things available on the stations these days.

Did you see the big fat diet show the other night? a creme filled, chocolate coated Krispy Kreme has less calories than a coffee shop nut flapjack or a slice of M&S cappucino cake. Who knew?! Random I appreciate, but there is a KK's on Vic station...

I used to commute to Paddington Station before I retired. Loads of places to get food, and most of it really rather nice. There are the usual places, plus a Sainsburys (hot fresh bagels, chocolate croissants, etc.) and an M&S. There is a fruit smoothie stall, a Millie's, one of those baguette places (hot ham and cheese, mmmm!), places to get cakes and chips and ............ oooh! I think I'm going to have a little lie down!!

Apart from the obvious threat to the diet, it didn't do my bank balance much good either! Did you know that M&S charge more for things in their station shops than they do in the high street?

Did you see the big fat diet show the other night? a creme filled, chocolate coated Krispy Kreme has less calories than a coffee shop nut flapjack or a slice of M&S cappucino cake. Who knew?! Random I appreciate, but there is a KK's on Vic station...

It isn't purely about calories though. A fried dough has little nutritional value. Oats and nuts in a flapjack provide some minerals and will keep you fuller for longer. Porridge has way more calories in it than many cereals, but as it isn't sugar based the point of it is you don't get a hunger crash in the same way.

Avisk, I know what you mean - these places are EXPENSIVE!

Obviously there are healthier options, but £1 for a banana is way more than the supermarkets charge. And....the rubbish food always shouts louder.

Anyway, I am determined to resist, and shall continue to shake my pot of fruit at any evil food!

Back