Concerned about fat intake

jools1986

Silver Member
After putting my food into a tracker it seems that the majority of my calories are fat, I know that we are encouraged to consume some but is this right?

This is more complicated than my degree! haha xx

Have you actually read the Atkins book or researched it at all? :confused:

The whole premise of the diet is that you switch the main source of energy for your body from carbs to fat as I understand it, I may be a bit hazy on some of the details and I'm sure some of the more experienced on here will fill in the gaps but basically:

Once your glycogen stores are gone your body switches to fat for its main energy needs - protein is used to continue to replace muscle etc but as a fuel source is the most inefficient of the 3.

Once you start burning fat as your main source of fuel you go into ketosis, as the brain needs some of the products of this process to get its fuel in the required format. One of the side effects of ketosis in most people is appetite supression so what tends to happen is that although you are eating enough to feel full you are actually consuming less calories than you used to and the resulting calorie defecit results in weightloss.

That's a very simplified version of the science behind it and like I said it might need correcting or some gaps filling in but that's about the size of it. :)

Yes, I have done extensive research, I have read the new book three of four times now, and I have been on umpteen forums and websites, I just want to make sure I am doing it right!

I do understand how the diet works, which is why I am following it, but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't TOO excessive.

I do apologise for the questions, I have done a lifetime of weightwatchers and its very hard to get my head around this, and in due course when I understand all of this, I will be able to return the favour in the way of advice

Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

had another answer on another forum, just incase any newbies were curious, but fat should be 60%-70% of our intake.

I am doing it right yay!!

Hi Racheal I know what you mean its very hard to believe this works when we have been told for years that we should be eating low fat.
I have lost 12lbs to date and can't really believe it .
I keep expecting it to stop working it is very hard to get out of the feeling that you should be eating less.
This time I have decided to give it a real go,after all everything else i have done has failed.
Good luck and stick with it.
lorna x

I am sooo pleased you asked that question rachael cos I had also done my research, but still can't help worrying about having cream and butter. It is hard to adjust your mindset after a lifetime of low fat diets!! Ta Hun x

Yes, I have done extensive research, I have read the new book three of four times now, and I have been on umpteen forums and websites, I just want to make sure I am doing it right!

I do understand how the diet works, which is why I am following it, but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't TOO excessive.

I do apologise for the questions, I have done a lifetime of weightwatchers and its very hard to get my head around this, and in due course when I understand all of this, I will be able to return the favour in the way of advice

Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

Ask away, and I'm sorry if (reading it back) my reply sounded a bit abrupt. :eek: It wasn't meant to be.

Rachel, please feel free to ask any questions you need - that's what forums are intended for. I am glad you got the answer as I'm too tired to type much more!

Years of being told to eat less fat, more carbs, less meat, cheese, dairy, etc has left us, as a nation, clinically overweight/obese, so something needs to change! It's just difficult to get your head around it, but once you start to see the results, and when you feel great with more energy, etc, you'll soon get your head around it!! LoL

Keep up the great work, and ask away.

Cx

my view on things......

*personally for me*

what 'crap' do i eat to get fat...i vertainly did SOMETHING wrong.....fat...too mcuh....calories....too much./...butter, cream cheese....too much BUT all this on top of the carbs was what gave me a fat ass lol

SO....if i way of life like atkins makes me LOSE weight....how can it be wrong?

yes ive read the book and it does confuse the hell outta me, hence why i love the info on here BUT compared with my life/diet before....

i dont eat, chocolate, crisps, chinese, tak aways, processed foods...

yes i eat cheese, cream and butter.....but i would say in moderation...i mainly eat, meat, veg and drink loads of water.

as i say, my personal opinion.....im a lot healthier now that i was before! xx

My results showed my blood works getting better and better and now they are perfect. :)

Back