confused about syns at nando's

abigail09

Gold Member
went to nando's for lunch today, thought i would have 1/4 chicken (asked for the breast because i prefer the meat) with 2 plain corn on the cobs, take the skin off and diet coke. i thought this would be pretty much free (Although the peri-peri sauce is half a syn for a tablespoon but still low syn) however when i checked the syns later it was 6 for a breast and 2 for a leg.... where are these syns coming from? i removed the skin but am i missing something? are they injecting some sort of syns into the meat to make it tastier?!

do you think the syns where in the skin... im trying to count my syns really accurately this week so what does everyone think i should count it as? im coutning the peri peri as 1 just confused about the meat...

Hi if the chicken was just plain and not marinated the syns will be for the skin. Hope you enjoyed it! :D I wouldn't have thought of nandos for a low syn meal!

yes but surely if it was the skin the leg would have been the same??

should i or shouldn't i...

ok so i had my nando's today - the book counts the chicken as 6 syns but i took all the skin off and in total am counting it as 3 syns (for peri-peri sauce at .5 syns tblspoon and any little bits of skin that might have slipped through) and the sweetcorn was free (EE)

and even if i counted the full 6 syns including the skin i wouldn't have had any more than 8 absolutely max...

anyway theres a curly wurly in the fridge calling out for me (6 syns) who votes i should go for it?

thats confirmation enough for me... im gonna go for it

Just had a look on the nandos website and if you look at how to make your own peri peri chicken, it shows 100g of melted butter as part of the marinade. Would assume if they make the marinade the same way in house its the marinade that adds the syns on.

I bet that a curly wurly that was in the fridge lasted FOREVER!!!

in the newest book they have taken out the chicken from the syns and just show the sauces and chips. so do what i do take skin off and have it with the med salad - no feta and enjoy hon

Just had a look on the nandos website and if you look at how to make your own peri peri chicken, it shows 100g of melted butter as part of the marinade. Would assume if they make the marinade the same way in house its the marinade that adds the syns on.
Oh my life.... I never thought about the marinade... why would you put butter in a marinade for heavens sake!!

i love nandos and have tweeked my own recipie obviously not as yummy as theirs but a nice alternative. Have the curly wurly and enjoy.

Was just having a look through here. My C says that all meat/chicken has to have the fat/skin removed before cooking as otherwise the fat from it seeps in to the meat! I couldn't believe it, i also roast a chicken with the skin on, if you take the skin off the top of the breast goes hard :(

The fat doesn't seep into the meat. If you roast a chicken the fat drains off. You can see it in the pan.

There is some fat inside the chicken, mainly around the legs, but that can easily be seen, even with a cooked chicken, and trimmed off before you eat it.

Of course you can't roast a chicken if you take the skin off, unless you use a roasting bag, or put something else over the breast to stop it drying out.

As long as you take off the skin and any fat that you see, that should be OK.

After all, there is no such thing as fat-free meat - even the leanest meat has some fat in it.

Actually, there's no such thing as a fat-free diet, either - not if you want to stay alive! Some fat in your diet is essential.

The fat doesn't seep into the meat. If you roast a chicken the fat drains off. You can see it in the pan.

There is some fat inside the chicken, mainly around the legs, but that can easily be seen, even with a cooked chicken, and trimmed off before you eat it.

Of course you can't roast a chicken if you take the skin off, unless you use a roasting bag, or put something else over the breast to stop it drying out.

As long as you take off the skin and any fat that you see, that should be OK.

After all, there is no such thing as fat-free meat - even the leanest meat has some fat in it.

Actually, there's no such thing as a fat-free diet, either - not if you want to stay alive! Some fat in your diet is essential.

I know! Thats what I thought, when my c said it I couldn't believe it! She also said that if you are cooking a ham, you have to remove the fat on the top of that aswell! And if you are cooking bacon, you have to take all the fat off before you can't just remove it after! Which I do anyway cos I buy WW bacon but still its all a bit tedious! lol

Back