Confused - need some help please

Gembear

Newbie here :sigh:

I'm trying to work out my weekly menu and very confused.

I am taking a recipe for carbonara from SW online that says on green it has 3 syns on green.
But looking at the ingredients I don't understand where the syns are coming from.

Can someone help?
4 rashers bacon, all visible fat removed (or Quorn bacon-style pieces - see tip)
3 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp fat free natural fromage frais
2 level tbsp grated parmesan cheese
small bunch of chives
397g/14oz boiled spaghetti

To me I would have bacon as my healthy extra B option, eggs are free, yoghurt is free, parmesan as my A choice, chives are free and spaghetti free.

Am I being dim? If I was making this from scratch withouth the recipe just throwing things in a pot I wouldn't syn any of it as according to me working it out it shouldn't have a syn value. It is that the amount of bacon is more than you're allowed in your healthy extra?

x

I think the recipe is assuming you don't want to use your HEs for the parmesan and bacon. If you use your HEA abd B for the parmesan and bacon then it would be syn free.

Thanks - that makes more sense and yay means I don't use syns for it :D x

What honeyoc said. You have to measure HEXes, so for bacon you'd get 85g as a HEXB, for Parmesan you'd get 28g as a HEXA.

These amounts dont correspond to the relevant amounts in the recipe and I dont know how many the recipe serves. It is a waste of a HEX if you spend all if it on eg 2 tbsp of grated Parmesan which would only be 3 syns (or half a HEX), and even then thats if the whole recipe only served one person.

Back