Confused!

JimJam87

Determined to do this
Please can someone help me?! Me and my mum rejoined SW last night and our C said that the HEBs listed in the book can be substituted for supermarket own brands. She bought some Quaker Oat So Simple this morning and then went to Lidl for something, Lidl's own version was half the price but double the calories. I know SW isn't calorie counting, but could their version still be used as a HEB?
Thankks :)

Is the lidi version more calories for the same portion size? I know with some cereals they only put the cals per 100g rather than cals per portion. Some also include milk in the cals so do check for that too

I don't know, as it was my mum that saw it and she text and asked me :/ I know SW doesn't go on cals, but I did wonder if this woluld affect the eligibility of using it as a HEB. I've emailed my C to check. Thanks

It all depends if the product has enough fibre in it to count as a Healthy B choice. Your/your mum's consultant should be able to advise...

I always took this to mean weetabix could be substituted for ASDAs wholewheat biscuits or Kellogg's sultana bran by Sainsburys Bran flakes with sultanas. I have to be honest and say I've never looked at the two products side by side but surely there shouldn't be much difference in cereals from different 'brands'.

I wonder if the lidi one was flavoured?

You can check ontge syns on-line as a member for a full list of HEBs.

Do let us know what your C says.

You can substitute some cereals for store brand, as ingredients won't vary. For instance Quakers plain oats for store branded plain ones, but for things with other ingredients like items with raisins etc then you have to be careful as ingredients can vary greatly.

Generally a HEb serving is never more than 140calories and they are high in fibre and low in fat/sugar content.

So if the calories are more than that I would avoid and check with slimming world if it is not on the healthy extra list.

Back